Cyber Bullying Higher For LGBT Youth
Originally printed 8/18/2014 (Issue 2233 - Between The Lines News)
Advocate.com reports that a new Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network study found that LGBT youth faced three times as much cyber bullying than their non-LGBT peers. The findings, which note that LGBT adolescents living in rural areas experience an elevated level of online harassment, show that 42 percent of LGBT youth face more online bullying as compared to 15 percent of straight, cisgender youth. Text message harassment was also included in the study, which found LGBT youth twice as likely to report the intimidation.
Results came from a national survey of 5,680 students in middle and high school. The study, titled "Out Online: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Youth on the Internet," found that youth affected by bullying had lowered self-esteem, lower grade point averages and a higher likelihood of depression.
Despite the disheartening evidence, the survey did find that LGBT youth on the Internet are also more likely to garner increased peer support, access to health information and opportunities for civic engagement. The study found that LGBT youth were actually twice as likely to research medical information online than their non-LGBT peers, with transgender youth making up a large portion of that number.
"The Internet does not serve to simply reinforce the negative dynamics found offline regarding bullying and harassment," said Michelle Ybarra, the president and research director of the Center for Innovative Health Research, in a statement. "Rather, this technology also offers LGBT youth critical tools for coping with these negative experiences."
More Health and Wellness
- Michigan LGBT Community Centers Offer 2016 Smoking Cessation Programs
- 'Playing Ball' in the LGBT League
- From 'Love' to Love: LGBT Tennis in the Motor City
- Webinar: Healthcare Stigma Facing Transgender Individuals
- Punting With Pride
- Addressing LGBT Health Disparities
- Kicking Detroit's Smoking Habit: Breaking The Cycle
- The Developing World Of Sexual Therapy
- Getting Sober
- Positive Thoughts: Q&A with Mondo Guerra
- Healthcare Coverage Round Two
- Smoking Remains Critical Health Issue For LGBT Michiganders
- 'Trans Girl Next Door' Documents Artist's Transition
- Cervical Cancer Survey Seeks Lesbian And Bisexual Women
- Report: LGBT Seniors Worry About Retirement
- Tips For Beating The Winter Blues
- Lifestyle Tips to Reduce Chronic Inflammation
- Cyber Bullying Higher For LGBT Youth
- Award-Winning Documentary Considers Mormon Trans Woman's Tale Of Transition
- State Rep. Zemke Chats With Craig Fahle About Conversion Therapy Bill
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- Matrix Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program
- Unified - HIV Health and Beyond
- Animal Shelter
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
- Iglesia Martell Law Firm PLLC
- Law Offices of Joelson Rosenberg, PLC
- Christine Yared
- Macomb Bike & Fitness
- Carpeting & Rugs
- Merkel Furniture and Carpet One
- Thomas's Catering
- Triangle Chiropractic
- Prism of Possibilities Psychotherapy
- Birmingham Maple Clinic
- David Harris Ph. D.
- Denise Joseph, Ph.D.
- Rosemary A. Jozwiak and Associates
- Joe Kort, Ph.D. & Associates, PC
- Short-term Interactive Couple's Therapy
- Demi C. Kazanis DDS Family & Cosmetic Dentistry
- Thane Ostroth DDS
- Ron T. Williamson DDS
- Allstate Insurance
- Massage Therapy
- Greenleaf Bodywork
- Crane Optical
- Pet Supplies
- Premier Pet Supply
- Pet Training
- Animal Learning Systems, Inc.
- Crown Pharmacy
- Paul Benson, D.O.
- Manzo Eye Care
- Physicians/Gynecology & Obstetrics
- Partridge Creek Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Real Estate/Agent
- Real Estate One
- Women's Health
- Planned Parenthood Mid and South Michigan
- Namaste Yoga
- Q&A: Alexander Skarsgard on Gay Sex Scenes & How Playing Tarzan Was 'Nothing Compared to That Night in Drag'
- Mariah Carey Q&A: Visions of (Unconditional) Love, Bravery and Bad Hair Through the Lens of a Longtime 'Lamb'
- 'We Are Orlando' Gatherings Planned
- BREAKING: Jeffrey Montgomery, Triangle Foundation Founder, Has Died
- Ferndale Wedding a First for a Pride Festival in Michigan
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!