Cyber Bullying Higher For LGBT Youth
Originally printed 8/18/2014 (Issue 2233 - Between The Lines News)
Advocate.com reports that a new Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network study found that LGBT youth faced three times as much cyber bullying than their non-LGBT peers. The findings, which note that LGBT adolescents living in rural areas experience an elevated level of online harassment, show that 42 percent of LGBT youth face more online bullying as compared to 15 percent of straight, cisgender youth. Text message harassment was also included in the study, which found LGBT youth twice as likely to report the intimidation.
Results came from a national survey of 5,680 students in middle and high school. The study, titled "Out Online: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Youth on the Internet," found that youth affected by bullying had lowered self-esteem, lower grade point averages and a higher likelihood of depression.
Despite the disheartening evidence, the survey did find that LGBT youth on the Internet are also more likely to garner increased peer support, access to health information and opportunities for civic engagement. The study found that LGBT youth were actually twice as likely to research medical information online than their non-LGBT peers, with transgender youth making up a large portion of that number.
"The Internet does not serve to simply reinforce the negative dynamics found offline regarding bullying and harassment," said Michelle Ybarra, the president and research director of the Center for Innovative Health Research, in a statement. "Rather, this technology also offers LGBT youth critical tools for coping with these negative experiences."
More Health and Wellness
- Healthcare Coverage Round Two
- Smoking Remains Critical Health Issue For LGBT Michiganders
- 'Trans Girl Next Door' Documents Artist's Transition
- Cervical Cancer Survey Seeks Lesbian And Bisexual Women
- Report: LGBT Seniors Worry About Retirement
- Tips For Beating The Winter Blues
- Lifestyle Tips to Reduce Chronic Inflammation
- Cyber Bullying Higher For LGBT Youth
- Award-Winning Documentary Considers Mormon Trans Woman's Tale Of Transition
- State Rep. Zemke Chats With Craig Fahle About Conversion Therapy Bill
- State Rep. Zemke Introduces Bill To Prohibit Conversion Therapy In Michigan
- Study: PrEP, Taken Regularly, 100 Percent Effective
- Feds Call On States To Revamp HIV Criminal Laws
- HIV Infection Returns to Child Thought To Have Been Cured
- AGING: Living In The Spirit Of Now
- LGBT Mud 5k Brings In Over 650 Runners
- New LGBT-run Bakery Brings Organic Goodies to Detroit
- Are Eating Disorders More Prevalent In The LGBT Community?
- Friends & Field Goals
- Surveys Say: LGBT Dollars And Health Going Up in Smoke
- Caesars Windsor Hotel & Casino
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- AIDS Partnership Michigan
- Detroit Department of Health and Wellness Promotion - HIV/AIDS PROGRAMS
- HIV/AIDS Resource Center (HARC)
- Michigan AIDS Coalition (MAC)
- Animal Shelter
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
- Lynn B. D'Orio, JD, PLC
- Macomb Bike & Fitness
- Carpeting & Rugs
- Merkel Furniture and Carpet One
- Thomas's Catering
- Triangle Chiropractic
- Prism of Possibilities Psychotherapy
- Birmingham Maple Clinic
- Bloomfield Counseling, P.C.
- David Harris Ph. D.
- Denise Joseph, Ph.D.
- Rosemary A. Jozwiak and Associates
- Joe Kort, Ph.D. & Associates, PC
- Maria Menozzi, MA
- EMDR Therapy
- Transcendence Behavioral Health
- Cruise Planners
- Wake's Travel - Cruise Planners
- Demi C. Kazanis DDS Family & Cosmetic Dentistry
- Thane Ostroth DDS
- Ron T. Williamson DDS
- Electrolysis Clinic of Birmingham
- Hiller's Markets
- Health Care Services
- Know Your Health Now
- Todd's Services
- Massage Therapy
- Greenleaf Bodywork
- American Mattress Gallery Inc
- Peper Law, P.C.
- Crane Optical
- Pet Supplies
- Premier Pet Supply
- Crown Pharmacy
- Northland MB Pharmacy
- Paul Benson, D.O.
- Dr. Curtis Hunt
- Physicians/Gynecology & Obstetrics
- Partridge Creek Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Michigan Reproductive Medicine
- Substance Abuse
- Detroit Department of Health & Wellness Promotion Bureau of Substance Abuse Prevention, Treatment & Recovery
- Women's Health
- Planned Parenthood Mid and South Michigan
- Namaste Yoga
- Josh Groban Q&A: His Queer Bear Fans, Failing The Ryan Gosling 'Gay Test' & Why He Worships RuPaul
- Q&A: Kelly Clarkson Talks Lesbian Groupies ('Kezbos'!), Gay Bars & Her Problem With 'Risqué' Pop Peers
- Controversial Musician Cameron Carpenter: Don't Call Me The 'Flamboyant Organist'
- Michigan House Passes Adoption Discrimination Bills
- Closet, Hollywood Gossip Collide In Riverwalk Theatre Production
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!