Arts & Entertainment
Local Fitness Center Uses New Machine To Slow Effects of Aging
Originally printed 10/31/2013 (Issue 2144 - Between The Lines News)
Health benefits from exercise don't stop at a young age. More gyms and recreation centers are catering classes, programs and even equipment towards seniors.
Casey Czuj of Vital Performance Fitness in Southfield follows this trend with their small gym. "Our goal was to open a small fitness studio where people would share camaraderie of working out together, sharing goals and encouraging one another to overcome their personal fitness challenges."
The main approach used at the gym run by Czuj, and her mother, Patti, is called "PowerPlate Training."
PowerPlate training is a "wellness solution for all ages." A medically approved machine, it uses "vibrations" and post-workout massage to help seniors reach their strength and stability goals with minimal pain.
The technique is similarly beneficial for those with issues such as fibromyalgia, sciatica and previous surgeries. Bodily improvements outside of stength include reduced pain and inflammation, decreased stiffness and increased walking ability.
The center claims that, "Power Plate training is guaranteed to rebuild bone mineral density 85-90 percent. (We) offer a dynamic total body workout, and in order to challenge the muscles further, we incorporate kettlebells, body bars and free weights."
Vital Performance Fitness also claims that clients will notice differences in stability, strength and agility in as little as six sessions, with each session lasting 25 minutes.
Czuj notes, "'I always feel so much better when I leave than when I came in' is often heard by our senior clients walking out the door. Regardless of age, fitness level or disability, each and every one of our clients exhibit improvement in range of motion, cardiovascular system, strength, balance and agility. Most report reduced joint pain, attributing their wellness to Power Plate workouts."
TRX training, using leverage and suspension of the body's own weight to improve strength and endurance, is also offered at the fitness center.
Vital Performance Fitness is open six days a week and is located at 29536 Northwestern Highway in Southfield. PowerPlate classes start at $20 for one session, with deals of $85 for five classes and $150 for 10 classes. The business is currently offering a free session to all new clients. There are no sign-up fees.All PowerPlate training sessions are by appointment only. To learn more about the method or Vital Performance Fitness, call 248-327-7195 or visit http://www.vitalperformancefitness.com.
- Ann Arbor VA Offers Dignity To Those Who Served
- Gadgets, Apps Lead the Way In The World Of Fitness
- G.R. Prime Timers Chapter Continues To Grow
- The Classes Continue: Clinical Issues And Sexual Orientation Therapist Trainings at Affirmations
- Local Fitness Center Uses New Machine To Slow Effects of Aging
- Laugh Harder, Smile Brighter
- Get Your Volleyball On
- My Journey To Sobriety
- Wining And Dining To Stop Diabetes
- Signs of Love: Recession-Proof Job And A Website To Learn From
- Training For A New Life
- Dealing With Intimate Partner Violence In Focus
- What Healthcare Reform Means for LGBT Communities
- Panel Sheds Light on Legal Issues for Older Adults
- Agency On Aging: Asking the Right Questions Can Help LGBT Seniors
- Disabled People Need Inclusive Support
- Walking Together
- USAID Announces New Partnership to Promote LGBT Human Rights Abroad
- NHL Partners With Advocacy Group to Stamp Out Homophobia
- Michigan's LGBT Older Adult Movement Moves Forward
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- AIDS Partnership Michigan
- Detroit Department of Health and Wellness Promotion - HIV/AIDS PROGRAMS
- HIV/AIDS Resource Center (HARC)
- Michigan AIDS Coalition (MAC)
- Animal Shelter
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
- Lynn B. D'Orio, JD, PLC
- Avalon International Breads
- Macomb Bike & Fitness
- Carpeting & Rugs
- Modern Floors Carpet One
- Ann Arbor Saline Family Chiropractic Center
- Arbor Crossing Chiropractic Life Center
- Health Source Chiropractic and Progressive Rehab
- Madison Heights Chiropractic
- Triangle Chiropractic
- Prism of Possibilities Psychotherapy
- Birmingham Maple Clinic
- David Harris Ph. D.
- Denise Joseph, Ph.D.
- Rosemary A. Jozwiak and Associates
- Joe Kort, Ph.D. & Associates, PC
- Short-term Interactive Couple's Therapy
- EMDR Therapy
- Lynn Vaughn, Ph.D.
- Cruise Planners
- Wake's Travel - Cruise Planners
- Irwin Goodman, DDS
- Arbor West Dental
- Bright Side Dental
- Demi C. Kazanis DDS Family & Cosmetic Dentistry
- Thane Ostroth DDS
- Ron T. Williamson DDS
- Electrolysis Clinic of Birmingham
- 59 West
- Hiller's Markets
- Vital Performance
- Todd's Services
- American Mattress Gallery Inc
- New Beginnings Counseling Center
- Crane Optical
- I've Gotta Get Organized, Inc.
- Pet Supplies
- Premier Pet Supply
- Crown Pharmacy
- Northland MB Pharmacy
- Paul Benson, D.O.
- Dr. Curtis Hunt
- Manzo Eye Care
- Physicians/Gynecology & Obstetrics
- Partridge Creek Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Retirement Community
- Sweet Home LLC.
- Safe Sex Store
- Dirty Boyz Play Clean
- Senior Living
- Nannie's Inn - Alternative Senior Housing
- Senior Services
- Nannie's Inn - Alternative Senior Housing
- Lux Laser Spa
- Substance Abuse
- Detroit Department of Health & Wellness Promotion Bureau of Substance Abuse Prevention, Treatment & Recovery
- Erase The Ink MD
- Women's Health
- Planned Parenthood Mid and South Michigan
- Namaste Yoga
- World AIDS Day
- Holiday Gift Guide
- Health and Wellness
- Pride Guide
- Pride Source Votes