Arts & Entertainment
Meet Your Best Friend At The Zoo
Sept. 20 & 21 Michigan Humane Society Offers Adoption Opportunities
Originally printed 9/12/2013 (Issue 2137 - Between The Lines News)
ROYAL OAK - Looking for a four-legged best friend? The Michigan Humane Society and Detroit Zoological Society invite you to Meet Your Best Friend at the Zoo on Sept. 20 from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Sept. 21 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dogs, cats, puppies and kittens from more than 30 animal welfare organizations will be available for adoption. The event takes place at the Detroit Zoo and is presented by Purina ONE and sponsored by PetSmart, PetSmart Charities and Henry Ford Health System.
"Meet Your Best Friend at the Zoo brings together dozens of groups who are working hard for animals in need, maximizing the opportunities for hundreds of dogs and cats to find loving homes," said Michael Robbins, MHS Vice President of Marketing and Communications. "If you're looking for a best friend, Meet Your Best Friend at the Zoo is the place to be!"
Friday will also feature special "Yappy Hour" festivities from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Event guests will have a chance to win great giveaway items, and adopters will receive a free family photo taken on-site with their new best friends.
There is no charge for admission or parking for the adoption event, which takes place under large tents in the front parking lot. However, regular admission and parking fees apply for those visiting the Zoo. The Detroit Zoo is located at 8450 W. 10 Mile Road in Royal Oak.
Because puppies are often in high demand, "puppy passes" will be given on Saturday morning to the first 25 adoption event guests who are looking specifically to adopt a puppy. Those with puppy passes will be allowed to enter the adoption tents at 9:45 a.m. Doing so will prevent a "puppy rush" and ensure that all adopters - and the adoptable animals - will have a wonderful experience.
Adoption fees and policies are set by each participating group and not by event hosts or sponsors. Animals will be adopted only to qualified homes. Adopters must present a driver's license or state ID card. All dogs and cats will have received a medical check-up and age-appropriate vaccinations. For health and safety reasons, please leave current pets at home.
During the spring 2013 Meet Your Best Friend at the Zoo, 537 animals found loving homes. Since 1993, the event has helped more than 19,000 pets become someone's best friend.
For more information, visit http://www.michiganhumane.org or call 248-283-1000, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Michigan Humane Society is the largest and oldest animal welfare organization in the state. MHS works to end companion animal homelessness, provide the highest quality service and compassion to the animals entrusted to our care, and to be a leader in promoting humane values.
- Critters In Couture
- Dress Up Your Dog Day
- Autumn LineUp of Great Pet Events
- Meet Your Best Friend At The Zoo
- Tail Waggers And Bissell Chip In To Get Animals Into Digital Database
- Michigan Animal Lover Making International Waves
- Reasons to Get Your Poop Scoop On
- Wag'n Tails Pet Resort Knows the Importance of Good Grooming
- The Six Funniest Pet Videos of All Time!
- Michigan to be Nation's First No-Kill State, Goal of Upcoming Conference
- Ferndale Fur Trading Company is the New Pet Connection
- Oswald and Cadbury, Bunnies on a Mission
- Lasers Zap Pets Pain, Disease
- Pet Calendar
- Dog Parks in Michigan
- Who let the dogs out?
- Pets are counting on you
- A terrier's cautionary tale
- New Beginnings for neglected cats
- Roots and woofs
- Animal Shelter
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
- Motor City Auto Spa
- Carpet Cleaning
- Hagopian Cleaning Services
- Allstate Insurance
- Korotkin Insurance Group
- Pet Adoption
- Fernlee Kennels
- Tail Waggers 1990
- Pet Boarding
- Club Pet Too
- Wag'n Tails Pet Resort
- Pet Day Care
- 4 Paws Community Center
- Canine College
- Canine Country Club
- Happy Hounds Dog Day Care & Lodging
- Pet Dog Training
- Canine Academy
- Pet Grooming
- Bingo Pet Salon
- Catherine’s Pet Parlor
- Groom N Go
- Pet Services - Memorial
- Key-Lore Pet Rest Gardens
- Pet Supplies
- Pet Emporium
- Premier Pet Supply
- Preuss Pets
- Pet Training
- Fido Personal Dog training, LLC
- Pet Waste Removal
- Crown Pharmacy
- Real Estate/Agent
- JCI Realtors
- Animal Clinic East
- Animal ER Center
- Ann Arbor Animal Hospital
- Ann Arbor Cat Clinic
- DePorre Veterinary Hospital, Inc.
- Exclusively Cats
- Greenfield Animal Hospital
- North Main Animal Hospital
- Oakland Veterinary Referral Services
- Patterson Dog & Cat Hospital
- Veterinary General, Inc
- Washtenaw Veterinary Hospital
- Wildlife Park
- African Safari Wildlife Park
- World AIDS Day
- Holiday Gift Guide
- Health and Wellness
- Pride Guide
- Pride Source Votes