Meet Your Best Friend At The Zoo
Sept. 20 & 21 Michigan Humane Society Offers Adoption Opportunities
Originally printed 9/12/2013 (Issue 2137 - Between The Lines News)
ROYAL OAK - Looking for a four-legged best friend? The Michigan Humane Society and Detroit Zoological Society invite you to Meet Your Best Friend at the Zoo on Sept. 20 from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Sept. 21 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dogs, cats, puppies and kittens from more than 30 animal welfare organizations will be available for adoption. The event takes place at the Detroit Zoo and is presented by Purina ONE and sponsored by PetSmart, PetSmart Charities and Henry Ford Health System.
"Meet Your Best Friend at the Zoo brings together dozens of groups who are working hard for animals in need, maximizing the opportunities for hundreds of dogs and cats to find loving homes," said Michael Robbins, MHS Vice President of Marketing and Communications. "If you're looking for a best friend, Meet Your Best Friend at the Zoo is the place to be!"
Friday will also feature special "Yappy Hour" festivities from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Event guests will have a chance to win great giveaway items, and adopters will receive a free family photo taken on-site with their new best friends.
There is no charge for admission or parking for the adoption event, which takes place under large tents in the front parking lot. However, regular admission and parking fees apply for those visiting the Zoo. The Detroit Zoo is located at 8450 W. 10 Mile Road in Royal Oak.
Because puppies are often in high demand, "puppy passes" will be given on Saturday morning to the first 25 adoption event guests who are looking specifically to adopt a puppy. Those with puppy passes will be allowed to enter the adoption tents at 9:45 a.m. Doing so will prevent a "puppy rush" and ensure that all adopters - and the adoptable animals - will have a wonderful experience.
Adoption fees and policies are set by each participating group and not by event hosts or sponsors. Animals will be adopted only to qualified homes. Adopters must present a driver's license or state ID card. All dogs and cats will have received a medical check-up and age-appropriate vaccinations. For health and safety reasons, please leave current pets at home.
During the spring 2013 Meet Your Best Friend at the Zoo, 537 animals found loving homes. Since 1993, the event has helped more than 19,000 pets become someone's best friend.
For more information, visit http://www.michiganhumane.org or call 248-283-1000, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Michigan Humane Society is the largest and oldest animal welfare organization in the state. MHS works to end companion animal homelessness, provide the highest quality service and compassion to the animals entrusted to our care, and to be a leader in promoting humane values.
- Detroit Animal Welfare Group Needs Community Support
- Why Your Feline Friend Needs Medical Care
- Michigan Senate Approves Bill to Allow Dogs on Restaurant Patios
- Birds as Best Friends
- Join the MHS Mega March to Help Animals
- HB 4478 Protects Pets from Domestic Violence
- Detroit Animal Care and Control Transforming Under New Leadership
- Managing Pet Caregiver Fatigue
- Spring Has Sprung with Upcoming Pet Events
- Getting to the Goal: Making Michigan a No Kill State
- Protecting Adoptable Pets in Michigan
- Animal Welfare Fund Provides over $134,900 to Local Animal Shelters
- FDA Now Requires Animal Testing For Personal Lubricants
- Save Lives And Protect Pets During The Cold Weather With These Tips from MHS
- Carpe Diem: Saving Chase
- Abandoned Garden City Dog Finds Loving Home
- Last Gas Chamber For Pets Still Remains In Michigan
- Nonprofit Group Links LGBT, Vegan Activism
- March To Help Homeless Pets With Michigan Humane Society
- Redefining Home: The Fur Baby Boom
- Animal Shelter
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
- Carpet Cleaning
- Hagopian Cleaning Services
- Allstate Insurance
- Pet Boarding
- Club Pet Too
- Fernlee Kennels
- Wag'n Tails Pet Resort
- Pet Day Care
- 4 Paws Community Center
- Canine College
- Happy Hounds Dog Day Care & Lodging
- Pet Grooming
- Animal Haus, Inc.
- Pet Services - Memorial
- Faithful Companion Memorials
- Key-Lore Pet Rest Gardens
- Pet Supplies
- Color Pet Products
- Premier Pet Supply
- Preuss Pets
- Pet Training
- Animal Learning Systems, Inc.
- Fido Personal Dog training, LLC
- Crown Pharmacy
- Real Estate/Agent
- Real Estate One
- North Main Animal Hospital
- Oakland Veterinary Referral Services
- Patterson Dog & Cat Hospital
- Pets Ahoy Animal Hospital
- KT Tunstall on Why Kissing Girls Wasn't Just a Phase and Channeling Her Masculinity ('I Feel Like I Have a C*ck')
- My 11 Minutes with Dolly Parton: How She's Helped Her Gay Mountain Family & Her Plan If She Were President
- Idina Menzel on Working Toward LGBT Icon Status, a Lesbian Elsa & Angry Gays Who Oppose Her 'Beaches' Remake
- Creep of the Week: Laura Ingraham
- Equality Michigan Hires New Transgender Victims' Advocate
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!