Meet Your Best Friend At The Zoo
Sept. 20 & 21 Michigan Humane Society Offers Adoption Opportunities
Originally printed 9/12/2013 (Issue 2137 - Between The Lines News)
ROYAL OAK - Looking for a four-legged best friend? The Michigan Humane Society and Detroit Zoological Society invite you to Meet Your Best Friend at the Zoo on Sept. 20 from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Sept. 21 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dogs, cats, puppies and kittens from more than 30 animal welfare organizations will be available for adoption. The event takes place at the Detroit Zoo and is presented by Purina ONE and sponsored by PetSmart, PetSmart Charities and Henry Ford Health System.
"Meet Your Best Friend at the Zoo brings together dozens of groups who are working hard for animals in need, maximizing the opportunities for hundreds of dogs and cats to find loving homes," said Michael Robbins, MHS Vice President of Marketing and Communications. "If you're looking for a best friend, Meet Your Best Friend at the Zoo is the place to be!"
Friday will also feature special "Yappy Hour" festivities from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Event guests will have a chance to win great giveaway items, and adopters will receive a free family photo taken on-site with their new best friends.
There is no charge for admission or parking for the adoption event, which takes place under large tents in the front parking lot. However, regular admission and parking fees apply for those visiting the Zoo. The Detroit Zoo is located at 8450 W. 10 Mile Road in Royal Oak.
Because puppies are often in high demand, "puppy passes" will be given on Saturday morning to the first 25 adoption event guests who are looking specifically to adopt a puppy. Those with puppy passes will be allowed to enter the adoption tents at 9:45 a.m. Doing so will prevent a "puppy rush" and ensure that all adopters - and the adoptable animals - will have a wonderful experience.
Adoption fees and policies are set by each participating group and not by event hosts or sponsors. Animals will be adopted only to qualified homes. Adopters must present a driver's license or state ID card. All dogs and cats will have received a medical check-up and age-appropriate vaccinations. For health and safety reasons, please leave current pets at home.
During the spring 2013 Meet Your Best Friend at the Zoo, 537 animals found loving homes. Since 1993, the event has helped more than 19,000 pets become someone's best friend.
For more information, visit http://www.michiganhumane.org or call 248-283-1000, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Michigan Humane Society is the largest and oldest animal welfare organization in the state. MHS works to end companion animal homelessness, provide the highest quality service and compassion to the animals entrusted to our care, and to be a leader in promoting humane values.
- Cage-Free Approach Creates Canine Community
- The Moment Of Awe: Arachnids, Reptiles, Amphibians Key To Helping People
- Holistic Approaches To Pet Care Improve Family Lives
- Metro Detroit Dog Parks Offer Outdoor Fun
- Dogs (And Friends) In Drag
- Memoir Chronicles Gay Writer's Journey With Dog
- Pick Up A Furry Friend This Weekend
- Nearing Agricultural Nirvana With Dolly The Llama
- Heroic Hound Sparks MHS Support At Mega March For Animals
- Fall Festivities For Furry Friends
- Powerful Documentary Focuses On Animal Rights
- Why We Should Care (More) About Animals
- International Victories For Animals In 2013
- Animal Shelter
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
- Carpet Cleaning
- Hagopian Cleaning Services
- Allstate Insurance
- Pet Adoption
- Fernlee Kennels
- Tail Waggers 1990
- Pet Boarding
- Club Pet Too
- Wag'n Tails Pet Resort
- Pet Day Care
- 4 Paws Community Center
- Canine College
- Canine Country Club
- Happy Hounds Dog Day Care & Lodging
- Pet Grooming
- Animal Haus, Inc.
- Canine Couture
- Catherine’s Pet Parlor
- Pet Portraits
- Pet Art By Jen
- Pet Services - Memorial
- Faithful Companion Memorials
- Key-Lore Pet Rest Gardens
- Pet Supplies
- Color Pet Products
- Premier Pet Supply
- Preuss Pets
- The Chase Coat For Big Dogs LLC
- The Splendid Dog
- Pet Training
- Animal Learning Systems
- Canine Academy
- Fido Personal Dog training, LLC
- Crown Pharmacy
- Real Estate/Agent
- JCI Realtors
- Animal ER Center
- Ann Arbor Animal Hospital
- Ann Arbor Cat Clinic
- DePorre Veterinary Hospital, Inc.
- Greenfield Animal Hospital
- Natural Healing Pet Care
- North Main Animal Hospital
- Oakland Veterinary Referral Services
- Patterson Dog & Cat Hospital
- Pets Ahoy Animal Hospital
- Josh Groban Q&A: His Queer Bear Fans, Failing The Ryan Gosling 'Gay Test' & Why He Worships RuPaul
- Q&A: Kelly Clarkson Talks Lesbian Groupies ('Kezbos'!), Gay Bars & Her Problem With 'Risqué' Pop Peers
- Controversial Musician Cameron Carpenter: Don't Call Me The 'Flamboyant Organist'
- Closet, Hollywood Gossip Collide In Riverwalk Theatre Production
- BREAKING: State House Committee Tells Kids Awaiting Placement Their Needs Don't Matter
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!