Arts & Entertainment
Reasons to Get Your Poop Scoop On
Originally printed 2/28/2013 (Issue 2109 - Between The Lines News)
Bill Field has been poop scooping for 13 years. And while the ins and outs of the animal waste removal business may not make for a glamorous story, the reasons behind it are worth understanding.
Field is the owner of Highland-based Poop 911, a company that does weekly and one-time animal feces clean ups. His company goes all over southeast Michigan, making the world a cleaner place one yard at a time. "Nobody really likes to pick up waste," Field said, "so it's a pretty common thing among all walks of life, from trailer parks to mansions."
The main reason for his success is the distastefulness of the work. But many customers value that it's more than just unpleasant.
"Waste that's left in the yard gets down into the ground water. The waste can get washed by the rain into yards where kids might play.
"It's terrible for dogs. You don't want them out there running around in that," Field said.
The poop can also attract unwanted critters to a backyard, including rats.
Another reason people hire poop scooping companies is that often lawn maintenance services will refuse to do landscaping on a yard that is not clean.
What sets Poop 911 apart, Field said, is that many companies will come and clean a yard, but then leave the waste in a bag on the property. This can still end up being problematic for a homeowner or property manager, especially if rats tend to get into the garbage. "We have our own dumpster off site where it gets disposed of properly and they don't have to worry about it," he said.
While over 200 customers each week enjoy a regularly scheduled cleaning, Poop 911 does get a spike in business early in the spring when the snow melts and the presents left behind in the winter are finally revealed.
For price estimates for one-time or weekly animal waste removal, contact Bill Field of Poop 911 at (877) 469-8314. Or check out his website at http://www.poop911.com/michigan-detroit.shtml.
- Tail Waggers And Bissell Chip In To Get Animals Into Digital Database
- Michigan Animal Lover Making International Waves
- Reasons to Get Your Poop Scoop On
- Wag'n Tails Pet Resort Knows the Importance of Good Grooming
- The Six Funniest Pet Videos of All Time!
- Michigan to be Nation's First No-Kill State, Goal of Upcoming Conference
- Ferndale Fur Trading Company is the New Pet Connection
- Oswald and Cadbury, Bunnies on a Mission
- Lasers Zap Pets Pain, Disease
- Pet Calendar
- Dog Parks in Michigan
- Who let the dogs out?
- Pets are counting on you
- A terrier's cautionary tale
- New Beginnings for neglected cats
- Roots and woofs
- When there's more to love
- Michigan's best homeless pet shelters, volunteers and legislative friend awarded
- Working like a dog
- My Queer Critter
- Animal Shelter
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
- Motor City Auto Spa
- Carpet Cleaning
- Hagopian Cleaning Services
- Pet Adoption
- Fernlee Kennels
- Tail Waggers 1990
- Pet Boarding
- Club Pet Too
- Wag'n Tails Pet Resort
- Pet Day Care
- 4 Paws Community Center
- Canine College
- Canine Country Club
- Happy Hounds Dog Day Care & Lodging
- Pet Dog Training
- Canine Academy
- Pet Grooming
- Animal Haus, Inc.
- Bingo Pet Salon
- Catherine’s Pet Parlor
- Groom N Go
- Pet Services - Memorial
- Key-Lore Pet Rest Gardens
- Pet Supplies
- Pet Emporium
- Premier Pet Supply
- Preuss Pets
- Pet Training
- Fido Personal Dog training, LLC
- Pet Waste Removal
- Crown Pharmacy
- Real Estate/Agent
- JCI Realtors
- Animal Clinic East
- Animal ER Center
- Ann Arbor Animal Hospital
- Ann Arbor Cat Clinic
- DePorre Veterinary Hospital, Inc.
- Exclusively Cats
- Greenfield Animal Hospital
- North Main Animal Hospital
- Oakland Veterinary Referral Services
- Patterson Dog & Cat Hospital
- Veterinary General, Inc
- Washtenaw Veterinary Hospital
- Wildlife Park
- African Safari Wildlife Park
- Pride Guide
- Health and Wellness
- World AIDS Day
- Holiday Gift Guide
- Pride Source Votes