GOAL Helps Gays Get Active
Originally printed 10/25/2012 (Issue 2043 - Between The Lines News)
"Get Out and Live." That is the rallying cry behind GOAL, a networking site for LGBT people and their allies to find other people to do activities with.
The website, http://www.getoutandlive.me, was started last February by Linda Brincat and Gia Cilento because they wanted to find a way to bring people together and to stay active. Brincat spent many years doing advertising sales, including for Between The Lines. "I've always sold advertising. My true love is getting out in the community and talking to people. I wanted to figure out a business where I could do that. I also wanted to find a way to bring men and women together for events. Too often it's the women doing their own thing and the men doing theirs, but we should all stay connected."
She explained that she got the idea for GOAL from a group of women in Southern California who had started Meet Up groups to do bicycling. "Biking is my favorite activity," Brincat said. "How I got the idea was from this group of women. They were doctors and lawyers and other professionals who were lesbians and wanted to find other women to go biking with."
The GOAL website regularly lists Get Out and Bike opportunities, which will continue as long as weather is permitting. There are also Get Out Dog Hikes which go all year round. "I want GOAL to be a place for all kinds of activities. If someone wants to have an activity and get people together, we can set it up and hopefully get people out. We've got over 9,000 people on our list so far. We want to find everyone who is interested in being active and give them a place to get information and organize events."
Activities on GOAL are organized through http://www.MeetUp.com, an interface where members can post events and others can sign up.
It's not just for physically-centered activities either. GOAL has a weekly discussion group where members meet for dinner and conversation. There is also a regular writer's group, a dinner club, a theatre club, and special events. On Oct.27, for example, a group will be visiting Wizard's Cider Mill in Ypsilanti Township.
Brincat says running GOAL and staying involved in bicycling and other activities keeps her energized and busy. "Find something you like to do and make it happen," she said. "That's what makes me happy." Learn more at http://www.getoutandlive.me.
More Health and Wellness
- Opening the Doors to LGBTQ-Focused Care
- Dem Gubernatorial Candidates Call for Reform of State's HIV-Specific Law
- SAGE Metro Detroit Director Reflects on Two Busy Years in the State
- AHIMA Practice Brief Stresses Importance of Inclusive Healthcare Practices
- Orchid Technology Helping LGBTQ People Feel More Welcome In Hospitals
- National LGBTQ Task Force Urges Congress to Stop Trumpcare
- HHS Seeks to Dump LGBT Elders from U.S. Health Survey
- Local Doctor Offers Unique Care for Trans Patients
- Small City Life for Gay Minorities: Implications for Sexual Health and Stigma
- Michigan LGBT Community Centers Offer 2016 Smoking Cessation Programs
- 'Playing Ball' in the LGBT League
- From 'Love' to Love: LGBT Tennis in the Motor City
- Webinar: Healthcare Stigma Facing Transgender Individuals
- Punting With Pride
- Addressing LGBT Health Disparities
- Kicking Detroit's Smoking Habit: Breaking The Cycle
- The Developing World Of Sexual Therapy
- Getting Sober
- Positive Thoughts: Q&A with Mondo Guerra
- Healthcare Coverage Round Two
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- Matrix Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program
- UNIFIED - HIV Health and Beyond
- Animal Shelter
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
- Iglesia Martell Law Firm PLLC
- Christine Yared
- Carpeting & Rugs
- Merkel Furniture and Carpet One
- Thomas's Catering
- Triangle Chiropractic
- Prism of Possibilities Psychotherapy
- Birmingham Maple Clinic
- David Harris Ph. D.
- Rosemary A. Jozwiak and Associates
- Joe Kort, Ph.D. & Associates, PC
- Short-term Interactive Couple's Therapy
- Transcendence Behavioral Health
- Ron T. Williamson DDS
- Crane Optical
- Pet Supplies
- Premier Pet Supply
- Crown Pharmacy
- Paul Benson, D.O.
- Physicians/Gynecology & Obstetrics
- Partridge Creek Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Real Estate/Agent
- Real Estate One
- Women's Health
- Planned Parenthood Mid and South Michigan
- Q&A: Lea Michele on Gays in Her Bed, Girl Crushes & Why 'It's So Inspiring' to Watch Old Episodes of 'Glee'
- Melissa Etheridge Talks Donald Trump ('I Will Not Fear This'), Inspiration for Upcoming Songs, the Word 'Woke' & Weed 101
- Kelly Osbourne Talks Being Open to Dating Women ('Never Say Never'), Celebs She Knows Who Use Sexuality For Publicity & Why 'Everybody's Gay'
- Transgender Women of Color Need Access to Public Resources, Better Allies
- Creep of the Week: Ramzan Kadyrov
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!