GOAL Helps Gays Get Active
Originally printed 10/25/2012 (Issue 2043 - Between The Lines News)
"Get Out and Live." That is the rallying cry behind GOAL, a networking site for LGBT people and their allies to find other people to do activities with.
The website, http://www.getoutandlive.me, was started last February by Linda Brincat and Gia Cilento because they wanted to find a way to bring people together and to stay active. Brincat spent many years doing advertising sales, including for Between The Lines. "I've always sold advertising. My true love is getting out in the community and talking to people. I wanted to figure out a business where I could do that. I also wanted to find a way to bring men and women together for events. Too often it's the women doing their own thing and the men doing theirs, but we should all stay connected."
She explained that she got the idea for GOAL from a group of women in Southern California who had started Meet Up groups to do bicycling. "Biking is my favorite activity," Brincat said. "How I got the idea was from this group of women. They were doctors and lawyers and other professionals who were lesbians and wanted to find other women to go biking with."
The GOAL website regularly lists Get Out and Bike opportunities, which will continue as long as weather is permitting. There are also Get Out Dog Hikes which go all year round. "I want GOAL to be a place for all kinds of activities. If someone wants to have an activity and get people together, we can set it up and hopefully get people out. We've got over 9,000 people on our list so far. We want to find everyone who is interested in being active and give them a place to get information and organize events."
Activities on GOAL are organized through http://www.MeetUp.com, an interface where members can post events and others can sign up.
It's not just for physically-centered activities either. GOAL has a weekly discussion group where members meet for dinner and conversation. There is also a regular writer's group, a dinner club, a theatre club, and special events. On Oct.27, for example, a group will be visiting Wizard's Cider Mill in Ypsilanti Township.
Brincat says running GOAL and staying involved in bicycling and other activities keeps her energized and busy. "Find something you like to do and make it happen," she said. "That's what makes me happy." Learn more at http://www.getoutandlive.me.
More Health and Wellness
- Michigan LGBT Community Centers Offer 2016 Smoking Cessation Programs
- 'Playing Ball' in the LGBT League
- From 'Love' to Love: LGBT Tennis in the Motor City
- Webinar: Healthcare Stigma Facing Transgender Individuals
- Punting With Pride
- Addressing LGBT Health Disparities
- Kicking Detroit's Smoking Habit: Breaking The Cycle
- The Developing World Of Sexual Therapy
- Getting Sober
- Positive Thoughts: Q&A with Mondo Guerra
- Healthcare Coverage Round Two
- Smoking Remains Critical Health Issue For LGBT Michiganders
- 'Trans Girl Next Door' Documents Artist's Transition
- Cervical Cancer Survey Seeks Lesbian And Bisexual Women
- Report: LGBT Seniors Worry About Retirement
- Tips For Beating The Winter Blues
- Lifestyle Tips to Reduce Chronic Inflammation
- Cyber Bullying Higher For LGBT Youth
- Award-Winning Documentary Considers Mormon Trans Woman's Tale Of Transition
- State Rep. Zemke Chats With Craig Fahle About Conversion Therapy Bill
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- Detroit Department of Health and Wellness Promotion - HIV/AIDS PROGRAMS
- Matrix Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program
- Unified - HIV Health and Beyond
- Iglesia Martell Law Firm PLLC
- Law Offices of Joelson Rosenberg, PLC
- Christine Yared
- Macomb Bike & Fitness
- Carpeting & Rugs
- Merkel Furniture and Carpet One
- Thomas's Catering
- Triangle Chiropractic
- Prism of Possibilities Psychotherapy
- Birmingham Maple Clinic
- Bloomfield Counseling, P.C.
- David Harris Ph. D.
- Denise Joseph, Ph.D.
- Rosemary A. Jozwiak and Associates
- Joe Kort, Ph.D. & Associates, PC
- Short-term Interactive Couple's Therapy
- Demi C. Kazanis DDS Family & Cosmetic Dentistry
- Thane Ostroth DDS
- Ron T. Williamson DDS
- Electrolysis Clinic of Birmingham
- Allstate Insurance
- Massage Therapy
- Greenleaf Bodywork
- Crane Optical
- Pet Supplies
- Premier Pet Supply
- Pet Training
- Animal Learning Systems, Inc.
- Crown Pharmacy
- Paul Benson, D.O.
- Manzo Eye Care
- Physicians/Gynecology & Obstetrics
- Partridge Creek Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Michigan Reproductive Medicine
- Real Estate/Agent
- Real Estate One
- Substance Abuse
- Detroit Department of Health & Wellness Promotion Bureau of Substance Abuse Prevention, Treatment & Recovery
- Women's Health
- Planned Parenthood Mid and South Michigan
- Namaste Yoga
- Gwen Stefani Speaks Her (Gay) 'Truth': The Divorce She 'Tried to Fix,' Blake Shelton & Her LGBT Support System
- Creep of the Week: Michael Brown
- Cyndi Lauper on Fame, Going Country & Wanting to Star In 'What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?' with Madonna
- How Photographer Jess Dugan Is Transforming Minds with Portraits of Transgender Trailblazers
- Q&A: Jane Lynch on Singing Nicki Minaj, How She Thought Being Lesbian Was a 'Mental Disease' & Her Man Crush
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!