Arts & Entertainment
GOAL Helps Gays Get Active
Originally printed 10/25/2012 (Issue 2043 - Between The Lines News)
"Get Out and Live." That is the rallying cry behind GOAL, a networking site for LGBT people and their allies to find other people to do activities with.
The website, http://www.getoutandlive.me, was started last February by Linda Brincat and Gia Cilento because they wanted to find a way to bring people together and to stay active. Brincat spent many years doing advertising sales, including for Between The Lines. "I've always sold advertising. My true love is getting out in the community and talking to people. I wanted to figure out a business where I could do that. I also wanted to find a way to bring men and women together for events. Too often it's the women doing their own thing and the men doing theirs, but we should all stay connected."
She explained that she got the idea for GOAL from a group of women in Southern California who had started Meet Up groups to do bicycling. "Biking is my favorite activity," Brincat said. "How I got the idea was from this group of women. They were doctors and lawyers and other professionals who were lesbians and wanted to find other women to go biking with."
The GOAL website regularly lists Get Out and Bike opportunities, which will continue as long as weather is permitting. There are also Get Out Dog Hikes which go all year round. "I want GOAL to be a place for all kinds of activities. If someone wants to have an activity and get people together, we can set it up and hopefully get people out. We've got over 9,000 people on our list so far. We want to find everyone who is interested in being active and give them a place to get information and organize events."
Activities on GOAL are organized through http://www.MeetUp.com, an interface where members can post events and others can sign up.
It's not just for physically-centered activities either. GOAL has a weekly discussion group where members meet for dinner and conversation. There is also a regular writer's group, a dinner club, a theatre club, and special events. On Oct.27, for example, a group will be visiting Wizard's Cider Mill in Ypsilanti Township.
Brincat says running GOAL and staying involved in bicycling and other activities keeps her energized and busy. "Find something you like to do and make it happen," she said. "That's what makes me happy." Learn more at http://www.getoutandlive.me.
- Ann Arbor VA Offers Dignity To Those Who Served
- Gadgets, Apps Lead the Way In The World Of Fitness
- G.R. Prime Timers Chapter Continues To Grow
- The Classes Continue: Clinical Issues And Sexual Orientation Therapist Trainings at Affirmations
- Local Fitness Center Uses New Machine To Slow Effects of Aging
- Laugh Harder, Smile Brighter
- Get Your Volleyball On
- My Journey To Sobriety
- Wining And Dining To Stop Diabetes
- Signs of Love: Recession-Proof Job And A Website To Learn From
- Training For A New Life
- Dealing With Intimate Partner Violence In Focus
- What Healthcare Reform Means for LGBT Communities
- Panel Sheds Light on Legal Issues for Older Adults
- Agency On Aging: Asking the Right Questions Can Help LGBT Seniors
- Disabled People Need Inclusive Support
- Walking Together
- USAID Announces New Partnership to Promote LGBT Human Rights Abroad
- NHL Partners With Advocacy Group to Stamp Out Homophobia
- Michigan's LGBT Older Adult Movement Moves Forward
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- AIDS Partnership Michigan
- Detroit Department of Health and Wellness Promotion - HIV/AIDS PROGRAMS
- HIV/AIDS Resource Center (HARC)
- Michigan AIDS Coalition (MAC)
- Animal Shelter
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
- Lynn B. D'Orio, JD, PLC
- Avalon International Breads
- Macomb Bike & Fitness
- Carpeting & Rugs
- Modern Floors Carpet One
- Ann Arbor Saline Family Chiropractic Center
- Arbor Crossing Chiropractic Life Center
- Health Source Chiropractic and Progressive Rehab
- Madison Heights Chiropractic
- Triangle Chiropractic
- Prism of Possibilities Psychotherapy
- Birmingham Maple Clinic
- David Harris Ph. D.
- Denise Joseph, Ph.D.
- Rosemary A. Jozwiak and Associates
- Joe Kort, Ph.D. & Associates, PC
- Short-term Interactive Couple's Therapy
- EMDR Therapy
- Lynn Vaughn, Ph.D.
- Cruise Planners
- Wake's Travel - Cruise Planners
- Irwin Goodman, DDS
- Arbor West Dental
- Bright Side Dental
- Demi C. Kazanis DDS Family & Cosmetic Dentistry
- Thane Ostroth DDS
- Ron T. Williamson DDS
- Electrolysis Clinic of Birmingham
- 59 West
- Hiller's Markets
- Vital Performance
- Todd's Services
- American Mattress Gallery Inc
- New Beginnings Counseling Center
- Crane Optical
- I've Gotta Get Organized, Inc.
- Pet Supplies
- Premier Pet Supply
- Crown Pharmacy
- Northland MB Pharmacy
- Paul Benson, D.O.
- Dr. Curtis Hunt
- Manzo Eye Care
- Physicians/Gynecology & Obstetrics
- Partridge Creek Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Retirement Community
- Sweet Home LLC.
- Safe Sex Store
- Dirty Boyz Play Clean
- Senior Living
- Nannie's Inn - Alternative Senior Housing
- Senior Services
- Nannie's Inn - Alternative Senior Housing
- Lux Laser Spa
- Substance Abuse
- Detroit Department of Health & Wellness Promotion Bureau of Substance Abuse Prevention, Treatment & Recovery
- Erase The Ink MD
- Women's Health
- Planned Parenthood Mid and South Michigan
- Namaste Yoga
- World AIDS Day
- Holiday Gift Guide
- Health and Wellness
- Pride Guide
- Pride Source Votes