GALLERY: Mark Schauer Joins Equality Rally In Lansing
Originally printed 8/6/2014 (Issue 2231 - Between The Lines News)
On the eve of historic hearings at the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals on the issue of marriage equality, supporters rallied in Lansing. Democratic candidate for governor, Mark Schauer attended the event. He was greeted with applause and cheers. Shortly after, the crowd began to chant "Schauer! Schauer!" However, the candidate redirected the enthusiasm to a chant of "Equality! Equality!"
Rev. Stanley Jenkins, who runs First Presbyterian Church in downtown Lansing welcomed the crowd.
"To lend this sacred space for the sacred cause of love is an honor," he told about 200 people gathered in the church. Attendees were from places such as Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor and Lansing.
"They told us marriage was about families," Schauer told the crowd. "It is about families. It is about children - about our children. This is about family values, that is, valuing families."
He told the crowd the Wastenaw, Oakland and Ingham county clerks were "heroes" for opening their offices in March and conducting over 300 marriage ceremonies for couples.
"I am certain - whether it's the courts, or we the citizens - we will become a marriage equality state," Schauer told the crowd.
Schauer was not the only politician in the room. Susan Grettenberger and Eric Schertizing, both vying for the democratic nomination for the 8th Congressional district were present. State Rep. Sam Singh and East Lansing Mayor Nathan Triplett were in attendance as well.
- Bullying And Harassment: Where Does Michigan Stand?
- Affirmations Gallery Hosts Spiritual Exhibit
- Dievendorf Outraises Oppponents In Lansing Primary Race
- Twentieth Annual Hotter Than July Pride Picnic Offered Up Plenty Of Fun
- West Michigan Gay Bar Comes Out Of The Closet
- Michigan Same-Sex Marriage Lawyers Seek Nearly $2M In Fees
- Kalamazoo HIV/AIDS Advocate Runs For City Commission
- Past Presidents Of Hotter Than July Honored At Annual Conference
- Hotter Than July Kicks Off With Candlelight Vigil
- State Now Recognizing Married Same-Sex Parents On Birth Certificates
- A Film For Hopeful Trans Youth: 'Crossing The Divide'
- Obituary: Sharon Hope Gittleman
- Pilot LGBT Youth Workforce Development Program Launches At Affirmations
- Progressive Activist Runs For Kalamazoo City Commission
- Reps. Hoadley, Moss Introduce Proposals To End Gerrymandering
- Lawmakers Voice Support For LGBT Community
- Equality Michigan Announces New Senior Staff
- Analysis: Is A Ballot Battle On LGBT Equality Coming In 2016?
- Unsung Hero
- High-Impact HIV Prevention Project Gets $3.8 Million From CDC
- Q&A: Matt Bomer Talks Channing Flattery ('I Blushed'), Explaining 'Magic Mike' To His Kids & Indecent Gyrations
- Q&A: Hilary Duff Talks Grindr & Giving Too Many F*cks, Geeks Out For Marriage Equality (and Miley Cyrus!)
- Roses Are Red, Violets Are Blue
- Adam Lambert Reveals He Dressed 'Outlandishly' Because He Was 'Overcompensating,' Talks Lack Of Gay Artists
- Did Snyder Trade Signature On Anti-Gay Adoption Bills For Deal On Road Funding?
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!