GALLERY: Mark Schauer Joins Equality Rally In Lansing
Originally printed 8/6/2014 (Issue 2231 - Between The Lines News)
On the eve of historic hearings at the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals on the issue of marriage equality, supporters rallied in Lansing. Democratic candidate for governor, Mark Schauer attended the event. He was greeted with applause and cheers. Shortly after, the crowd began to chant "Schauer! Schauer!" However, the candidate redirected the enthusiasm to a chant of "Equality! Equality!"
Rev. Stanley Jenkins, who runs First Presbyterian Church in downtown Lansing welcomed the crowd.
"To lend this sacred space for the sacred cause of love is an honor," he told about 200 people gathered in the church. Attendees were from places such as Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor and Lansing.
"They told us marriage was about families," Schauer told the crowd. "It is about families. It is about children - about our children. This is about family values, that is, valuing families."
He told the crowd the Wastenaw, Oakland and Ingham county clerks were "heroes" for opening their offices in March and conducting over 300 marriage ceremonies for couples.
"I am certain - whether it's the courts, or we the citizens - we will become a marriage equality state," Schauer told the crowd.
Schauer was not the only politician in the room. Susan Grettenberger and Eric Schertizing, both vying for the democratic nomination for the 8th Congressional district were present. State Rep. Sam Singh and East Lansing Mayor Nathan Triplett were in attendance as well.
- Detroit Couple Talks DIY Wedding, Getting Through Darkness and More
- MCC-D Pastor to Receive Doctorate Degree
- Elder Gay Man Killed Over Alleged Unwanted Sexual Advance
- Pugh Starts Paying Damages to Former Student
- State Board of Education to Hold Final Public Meeting on LGBT Guidelines
- Transgender Michigan Offers Training for Mental Health Professionals
- Faith Leaders Send Open Letter to State Legislature in Support of LGBT Students
- Davenport Files Sex Discrimination Lawsuit Against SVSU
- State House Republicans Author Bill To Repeal the State Board of Education
- Ferndale Schools Board of Education Passes LGBT Inclusive Policy
- White House Meets with Michigan LGBT Advocates
- Fun Run in Color for WADD Fundraiser
- Royal Oak Mayor Announces Travel Ban to North Carolina
- Southeast Michigan School District Under Federal Investigation
- LGBT Detroit Hires Development Coordinator
- Bay City Passes Controversial Anti-Discrimination Ordinance
- LGBT Event Planned in Lake Orion
- Updates on Michigan LGBT Youth Guidance and State Bathroom Controversy
- Lawmaker Pushes Plan to Restrict Transgender Bathroom Use
- Trans Sistas of Color to Host One-Day Conference
- Creep of the Week: Michael Brown
- Nick Jonas on Inspiring Drag Kings, His 'Very Welcoming' Gay Club Experience and How His Man Bod Changed His Life
- Cyndi Lauper on Fame, Going Country & Wanting to Star In 'What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?' with Madonna
- How Photographer Jess Dugan Is Transforming Minds with Portraits of Transgender Trailblazers
- Q&A: Jane Lynch on Singing Nicki Minaj, How She Thought Being Lesbian Was a 'Mental Disease' & Her Man Crush
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!