GALLERY: Mark Schauer Joins Equality Rally In Lansing
Originally printed 8/6/2014 (Issue 2231 - Between The Lines News)
On the eve of historic hearings at the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals on the issue of marriage equality, supporters rallied in Lansing. Democratic candidate for governor, Mark Schauer attended the event. He was greeted with applause and cheers. Shortly after, the crowd began to chant "Schauer! Schauer!" However, the candidate redirected the enthusiasm to a chant of "Equality! Equality!"
Rev. Stanley Jenkins, who runs First Presbyterian Church in downtown Lansing welcomed the crowd.
"To lend this sacred space for the sacred cause of love is an honor," he told about 200 people gathered in the church. Attendees were from places such as Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor and Lansing.
"They told us marriage was about families," Schauer told the crowd. "It is about families. It is about children - about our children. This is about family values, that is, valuing families."
He told the crowd the Wastenaw, Oakland and Ingham county clerks were "heroes" for opening their offices in March and conducting over 300 marriage ceremonies for couples.
"I am certain - whether it's the courts, or we the citizens - we will become a marriage equality state," Schauer told the crowd.
Schauer was not the only politician in the room. Susan Grettenberger and Eric Schertizing, both vying for the democratic nomination for the 8th Congressional district were present. State Rep. Sam Singh and East Lansing Mayor Nathan Triplett were in attendance as well.
- Safe Place, Real Support
- MFierce, Coalition Built To Fight STI/HIV Rates In Detroit
- New Support Group For Parents Of Trans Youth
- KICK Changes Name To LGBT Detroit
- Senior Living Week
- Detroit Sound Conservancy Remembers Detroit Gay Clubs
- Remembering DJ And Dance Detroit Founder Steve Nader (1955-2011)
- Pro And Anti-LGBT Activists Hit Capitol Steps
- MiRFRA Heard Before Senate Judiciary Committee
- Legislators Call For Legal Protections For LGBT Michiganders
- Michigan's SCOTUS Courtside Campers
- Video: James Toy reflects on Marriage Equality Hearings
- State Senate Committee Passes Adoption Discrimination Bills
- State Capitol Candlelight Vigil Tonight Supporting Marriage Equality
- GOP Senate Source: MiRFRA Will Have Hearing Tuesday April 28, No Vote Expected
- Oakland University To Offer Gender Studies Minor
- Michigan Womyn's Fest Says 2015 Is Last Year
- The Road After SCOTUS Decision
- Advocates And Academics Advance Equality At Inaugural 'Research To Action' Conference
- National Organizations Pull Support From Michfest Petition
- Anti-Gay Company Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Q&A: Reba Talks 'Very Important' LGBT Rights, Her First Gay Wedding & Feeling 'Sad' For Closeted Country Stars
- Q&A: Scott Eastwood Endorses Father's Gay Marriage Mantra, Talks Sex Scenes ('I Was Turned On') & Mel Gibson's Advice
- Is GoFundMe The New Welfare For Anti-Gay Corporations?
- Michigan House Passes Adoption Discrimination Bills
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
Two worlds are about to collide! Moving in together can be a lot like sex - if done right, it feels and looks awesome; if done wrong, someone silently suffers. Assuming your partner didn't mean you'd be together forever in "gay years," you are about to embark on a long journey through adulthood's oldest rites of passage - living with a stranger. Because do you ever really know someone until you live with them? Well, you're about to find out.View More Home
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!