GALLERY: Mark Schauer Joins Equality Rally In Lansing
Originally printed 8/6/2014 (Issue 2231 - Between The Lines News)
On the eve of historic hearings at the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals on the issue of marriage equality, supporters rallied in Lansing. Democratic candidate for governor, Mark Schauer attended the event. He was greeted with applause and cheers. Shortly after, the crowd began to chant "Schauer! Schauer!" However, the candidate redirected the enthusiasm to a chant of "Equality! Equality!"
Rev. Stanley Jenkins, who runs First Presbyterian Church in downtown Lansing welcomed the crowd.
"To lend this sacred space for the sacred cause of love is an honor," he told about 200 people gathered in the church. Attendees were from places such as Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor and Lansing.
"They told us marriage was about families," Schauer told the crowd. "It is about families. It is about children - about our children. This is about family values, that is, valuing families."
He told the crowd the Wastenaw, Oakland and Ingham county clerks were "heroes" for opening their offices in March and conducting over 300 marriage ceremonies for couples.
"I am certain - whether it's the courts, or we the citizens - we will become a marriage equality state," Schauer told the crowd.
Schauer was not the only politician in the room. Susan Grettenberger and Eric Schertizing, both vying for the democratic nomination for the 8th Congressional district were present. State Rep. Sam Singh and East Lansing Mayor Nathan Triplett were in attendance as well.
- Interfaith Discussion Focuses On Anti-Gay Marriage Myths
- Pre-Pride Event: Running Through Color
- Come As You Are To Rainbow Pride Prom
- Local Trans Activist Awarded Ferndale 2015 Good Neighbors Award
- Forever Faithful Project Designed To Build Welcoming Congregations In Detroit Area Churches
- Calling All LGBT Couples
- Motown Invitational Classic Hosts Annual Detroit River Boat Cruise
- Anti-Gay Midland Minister Caught On Grindr, Quickly Resigns
- Motorball Drives Back Into Motown
- Ferndale Author To Launch Second Lesbian Romance Novel
- Being The Authentic 'You' At Trans Day Of Empowerment
- Wayland, Michigan Adopts Non-Discrimination Ordinance
- Annual Planting Event Comes To Woodward
- From Glenn Burke To Billy Bean To Dave Pallone The MLB Is Evolving -- Slowly
- 38 Local Non-Discrimination Ordinances Saved
- State House Committee Passes HB4052 With Amendments
- LGBT Detroit Leadership Academy Presents Seventh Graduating Class
- 2015 Motor City Pride Preview
- Understanding The 'Invisible' Aging LGBT Community
- Jewish Gay Network Hosts Talk On Transgender Issues In Michigan
- The Emboldened Girls: Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin Talk LGBT Liberation, Lashing Out & Marrying 'Famous' Gay Men
- Anti-Gay Billboard Ad On Telegraph
- Q&A: Rose Byrne Speaks Out On Hollywood Sexism ('It's Discrimination'), Talks Drag Inspirations & Playing Gay
- EXCLUSIVE: Reese & Sofia Talk Lesbians, Girl Kisses, Gay Jokes and Why This Is The 'Summer Of Women'
- State House GOP Introduces Bill To Void Local Human Rights Ordinances
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!