GALLERY: Mark Schauer Joins Equality Rally In Lansing
Originally printed 8/6/2014 (Issue 2231 - Between The Lines News)
On the eve of historic hearings at the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals on the issue of marriage equality, supporters rallied in Lansing. Democratic candidate for governor, Mark Schauer attended the event. He was greeted with applause and cheers. Shortly after, the crowd began to chant "Schauer! Schauer!" However, the candidate redirected the enthusiasm to a chant of "Equality! Equality!"
Rev. Stanley Jenkins, who runs First Presbyterian Church in downtown Lansing welcomed the crowd.
"To lend this sacred space for the sacred cause of love is an honor," he told about 200 people gathered in the church. Attendees were from places such as Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor and Lansing.
"They told us marriage was about families," Schauer told the crowd. "It is about families. It is about children - about our children. This is about family values, that is, valuing families."
He told the crowd the Wastenaw, Oakland and Ingham county clerks were "heroes" for opening their offices in March and conducting over 300 marriage ceremonies for couples.
"I am certain - whether it's the courts, or we the citizens - we will become a marriage equality state," Schauer told the crowd.
Schauer was not the only politician in the room. Susan Grettenberger and Eric Schertizing, both vying for the democratic nomination for the 8th Congressional district were present. State Rep. Sam Singh and East Lansing Mayor Nathan Triplett were in attendance as well.
- Local Governments to Fly Transgender Pride Flags in Michigan
- Jackson Together Calls on City Council to Reject Referendum Petition
- Transgender Women of Color Need Access to Public Resources, Better Allies
- Annual Spring Bash Raises Funds for Affirmations
- Attendees at Wedding Expo Express 'Relief' to Find Welcoming LGBT-Friendly Businesses
- Pre-Expo Workshop Focuses on Status of LGBT Rights Post-Marriage Equality
- Pursuing Our Inner Mood
- Providers 'Link-Up' to Offer Better Access to HIV Care
- Royal Oak Therapist Offers Support for Transgender People
- Assault on Marriage Equality Under Banner of 'Religious Liberty'
- The Motown Movement
- Meet Steve Fano, Volunteer at Affirmations
- Emerge Michigan Prepares Democratic Women for Public Office
- Local Community Speaks Out on Gavin Grimm Transgender Case
- Expo Workshop Will Address LGBT Rights in the Trump Era
- Q&A with New EQMI Board Member Buzz Thomas
- Meet Becca Budde, Affirmations Education and Training Manager
- Call for LGBTQ Artists
- Local Leaders Host Title IX Panel Discussion
- BTL Announces $5,000 Challenge Gift to ACLU of Michigan
- Powering Progress Together at Michigan Summit
- Melissa Etheridge Talks Donald Trump ('I Will Not Fear This'), Inspiration for Upcoming Songs, the Word 'Woke' & Weed 101
- Q&A: LeAnn Rimes on HRC Ally Award, Avoiding Political Talk & the Closeted Country Stars Who Motivated Her Activism
- PTA TMI
- MDP Elects Openly Gay Vice Chair for First Time In Its History
- Creep of the Week: Dave Daubenmire
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!