GALLERY: Mark Schauer Joins Equality Rally In Lansing
Originally printed 8/6/2014 (Issue 2231 - Between The Lines News)
On the eve of historic hearings at the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals on the issue of marriage equality, supporters rallied in Lansing. Democratic candidate for governor, Mark Schauer attended the event. He was greeted with applause and cheers. Shortly after, the crowd began to chant "Schauer! Schauer!" However, the candidate redirected the enthusiasm to a chant of "Equality! Equality!"
Rev. Stanley Jenkins, who runs First Presbyterian Church in downtown Lansing welcomed the crowd.
"To lend this sacred space for the sacred cause of love is an honor," he told about 200 people gathered in the church. Attendees were from places such as Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor and Lansing.
"They told us marriage was about families," Schauer told the crowd. "It is about families. It is about children - about our children. This is about family values, that is, valuing families."
He told the crowd the Wastenaw, Oakland and Ingham county clerks were "heroes" for opening their offices in March and conducting over 300 marriage ceremonies for couples.
"I am certain - whether it's the courts, or we the citizens - we will become a marriage equality state," Schauer told the crowd.
Schauer was not the only politician in the room. Susan Grettenberger and Eric Schertizing, both vying for the democratic nomination for the 8th Congressional district were present. State Rep. Sam Singh and East Lansing Mayor Nathan Triplett were in attendance as well.
- Same-Sex Marriage Goes To The Supreme Court
- U.S. Syphilis Rates Increased By 10 Percent In 2013
- Controversy Over UMS Award To Russian Orchestra
- Equality Michigan Accepting Applications For Internships
- Ferndale Pride Seeks Sponsors And Vendors
- Attention Michigan LGBT Career Seekers
- Filmmaker To Speak On LGBT, Black Intersectionality
- Warren To Speak At Upcoming ELCRA Panel
- Become A Vendor At LGBT Wedding Expo
- SCOTUS To Hear Same-Sex Marriage Cases In Historic Decision
- Marriage Of 300 Same-Sex Couples Ruled Valid In Michigan
- Fostering Children Only Temporary Bandage To Same-Sex Adoption Restrictions In Michigan
- Lesbian Fights For Custody Rights Of Children
- From Selma To Detroit And The Importance Of Intersectionality
- Local Jewish Author Highlights Dangers Of Police Discrimination
- Q&A: Kathy Griffin Reveals Death-Related Talk With Joan Rivers, Plans To Get Fired From 'Fashion Police' & Cher's Health
- Missing Person Found In Metro Detroit
- Exclusive! 'Looking' Star Russell Tovey On Sex Scenes, His Famous Butt & That Rimming Cake
- EXCLUSIVE! Gwen Stefani On Why She Paints Her Boys' Nails, Meeting Gays 'Late In Life' & Her (Lack Of) Girl Crushes
- Q&A: Harvey Fierstein Opens Up On The Success Of 'Kinky Boots,' His 'Legendary Disaster' & 'Insulting' Double Standards
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!