GALLERY: Hundreds Gather At Cincinnati Courthouse Rally for Equality
Originally printed 8/5/2014 (Issue 2231 - Between The Lines News)
With the Sixth Circuit Court hearing of DeBoer V. Snyder just a day away, over four hundred LGBT people and their allies have gathered in front of the Cincinnati courthouse for Marriage Ohio's rally in support of marriage equality.
The court will be hearing six same-sex marriage cases from four states and their decisions will impact all four states in the 6th Circuit - so a favorable decision would impact not only Michigan, but Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee.
Several community leaders and plaintiffs of the cases addressed the rally-goers.
"We are Kentucky and our marriages and families deserve respect." said Greg Bourke, plaintiff in Kentucky's Bourke v. Beshear.
Equality Michigan Executive Director Emily Dievendorf also spoke.
"This is about being able to love freely and love openly. We are close to winning," she said.
"Let's recognize today let's recognize tomorrow ... that people have not been allowed to live their lives to the fullest because they have not been granted that opportunity."
- Honoring The Death Of Trans Sisters And Brothers
- Trans In Michigan? The ACLU Wants To Hear From You
- Schuette Wants State's 300 Same-Sex Marriages Voided
- Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Expansion Precarious
- Renowned Gay Writers To Visit Ann Arbor
- New MI Group Aims To Pass Fully Inclusive Civil Rights Amendment
- Facebook Community Reacts To 6th Circuit Ruling
- Pay It Forward This Holiday Season
- Federal Court Rules 2011 Law Prohibiting Domestic Partner Benefits Unconstitutional
- States In 6th Circuit Request SCOTUS Review
- AT&T National 'Will Only Support Fully Inclusive Bill' On Civil Rights
- Michigan GOP Pushes Non-Inclusive Elliott-Larsen Amendment
- Upcoming Community Michigan LGBT Marriage Conversations
- Statewide Campaign For Gender Inclusive Civil Rights Amendment
- The Long Shot Move To Pass Inclusive Civil Rights Amendment
- Jeremy Moss To Be Next State House Representative
- People Of Faith Invited To Community Conversation
- Obituary: Ernest B. Gutierrez 'Tito'
- Michigan's Marriage Ban Draws Strong Reaction
- Jon Hoadley: Next State House Rep. District 60
- Q&A: Lisa Kudrow On Judging 'Drag Race' (As Valerie Cherish!) & Gays Being Biologically 'Superhuman'
- Q&A: Andy Cohen On His (Almost) Tell-All Book, 'Nasty' Names Gays Call Him
- GOP Hopeful Wants 'Christians' Fleeing MI If Gays Get Civil Rights
- Divine Intervention: Bette Midler Talks Early Gay Support, 'Diva' Degradation & Twerking ('Girls, Please!')
- Creep of the Week: Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!