GALLERY: Hundreds Gather At Cincinnati Courthouse Rally for Equality
Originally printed 8/5/2014 (Issue 2231 - Between The Lines News)
With the Sixth Circuit Court hearing of DeBoer V. Snyder just a day away, over four hundred LGBT people and their allies have gathered in front of the Cincinnati courthouse for Marriage Ohio's rally in support of marriage equality.
The court will be hearing six same-sex marriage cases from four states and their decisions will impact all four states in the 6th Circuit - so a favorable decision would impact not only Michigan, but Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee.
Several community leaders and plaintiffs of the cases addressed the rally-goers.
"We are Kentucky and our marriages and families deserve respect." said Greg Bourke, plaintiff in Kentucky's Bourke v. Beshear.
Equality Michigan Executive Director Emily Dievendorf also spoke.
"This is about being able to love freely and love openly. We are close to winning," she said.
"Let's recognize today let's recognize tomorrow ... that people have not been allowed to live their lives to the fullest because they have not been granted that opportunity."
- To Transgender Movement Leaders, Activism Is an Antidote to Violence
- Two Michigan Cities Pass Nondiscrimination Ordinances
- Analysis: Election 2016 Could Deliver 5 Openly Gay State Reps to Lansing
- HOPE Fund Awards $60k to Three Orgs Working to Improve LGBT Lives
- Job Training For Older LGBTs Coming Up
- LGBT Older Adult Summit Looks at Challenges and Intergenerational Solutions
- Slipstream's 'Midsummer,' Set in a Gay Bar, Re-Thinks and Re-Tools after Orlando
- Large Gathering at Affirmations Honors Lives Lost in Orlando
- Charles Pugh Arrested in New York
- In Wake of Orlando Massacre, LGBT Venues Ramp Up Security
- Goal: 100 for HIV Testing Day
- Unity, Defiance In The Face of Terror, Hate
- Motor City Pride Feels For Orlando
- Affirmations Hosts Vigil for Pulse Victims
- Take the Test, Take Control
- Scarab Club Unveils Marketing Campaign: 'We Know Detroit by Art'
- ACLU, Secretary of State Johnson, Discuss Trans Identities
- Equality Michigan Gets New Brand
- Uncommon Coffee Roasters Becomes Certified LGBT Business
- Bigotry Puts a Heavy Burden on Transgender Youth
- Why Affirmations? Erspamer Discusses The Future of Michigan's Largest LGBT Center
- Mariah Carey Q&A: Visions of (Unconditional) Love, Bravery and Bad Hair Through the Lens of a Longtime 'Lamb'
- Q&A: Alexander Skarsgard on Gay Sex Scenes & How Playing Tarzan Was 'Nothing Compared to That Night in Drag'
- 'We Are Orlando' Gatherings Planned
- The Butch Beneath Our Wings: Lea DeLaria Talks Historical Almost-Canceled Arsenio Stint, Making Tough Chicks Cry & Why 'LGBT' Needs To Go
- Ferndale Wedding a First for a Pride Festival in Michigan
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!