GALLERY: Hundreds Gather At Cincinnati Courthouse Rally for Equality
Originally printed 8/5/2014 (Issue 2231 - Between The Lines News)
With the Sixth Circuit Court hearing of DeBoer V. Snyder just a day away, over four hundred LGBT people and their allies have gathered in front of the Cincinnati courthouse for Marriage Ohio's rally in support of marriage equality.
The court will be hearing six same-sex marriage cases from four states and their decisions will impact all four states in the 6th Circuit - so a favorable decision would impact not only Michigan, but Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee.
Several community leaders and plaintiffs of the cases addressed the rally-goers.
"We are Kentucky and our marriages and families deserve respect." said Greg Bourke, plaintiff in Kentucky's Bourke v. Beshear.
Equality Michigan Executive Director Emily Dievendorf also spoke.
"This is about being able to love freely and love openly. We are close to winning," she said.
"Let's recognize today let's recognize tomorrow ... that people have not been allowed to live their lives to the fullest because they have not been granted that opportunity."
- Harmful Voter ID Bill Clears House Committee
- Trumping HIV
- Ferndale Pride Donates $11,000 to Local Charities
- Save the Date: EQMI 2016 Fall Reception
- Lansing Sends Message to Vulnerable Communities in Wake of Election
- World AIDS Day Detroit Revitalizes Awareness
- Participate In LGBT and Caregiving Survey
- Affirmations Community Conversation Inspires Action
- OU Ranks as One of Michigan's Top LGBTQ-inclusive Campuses
- Obituary: David Walter Adamany (Sept. 23, 1936-Nov. 10, 2016)
- 'Fun Home' Star Discusses 'Important Piece of Theater'
- GALLERY: The Ferndale Love March
- Local Leaders Offer the LGBT Community Post-Election Hope
- Election 2016: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
- Ingham County Seeks Assistance in Murder of Man who Sought Sex with Other Men
- First Transgender Interaction Policy Created in Michigan
- Outfront: Lesbian Officer Builds Community Bridges in Detroit
- Michigan Looks to Modernize HIV Law
- Q&A: Joe Jonas on Fans Who Send Him Naked Selfies, 'Fun' Gay Rumors & Exploring S&M
- Michael Buble on Leaving an LGBT-Affirming Legacy, Man Crushes That Make Him 'Wet,' DL Celebs & His Male Admirers
- The LGBT Guide to Election Night 2016
- Nathan Sykes on Equality, Support For His LGBT Fans & How an Ariana Grande Song Fueled Gay Rumors About Him
- Is This a 'Cure' for HIV?
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!