GALLERY: Hundreds Gather At Cincinnati Courthouse Rally for Equality
Originally printed 8/5/2014 (Issue 2231 - Between The Lines News)
With the Sixth Circuit Court hearing of DeBoer V. Snyder just a day away, over four hundred LGBT people and their allies have gathered in front of the Cincinnati courthouse for Marriage Ohio's rally in support of marriage equality.
The court will be hearing six same-sex marriage cases from four states and their decisions will impact all four states in the 6th Circuit - so a favorable decision would impact not only Michigan, but Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee.
Several community leaders and plaintiffs of the cases addressed the rally-goers.
"We are Kentucky and our marriages and families deserve respect." said Greg Bourke, plaintiff in Kentucky's Bourke v. Beshear.
Equality Michigan Executive Director Emily Dievendorf also spoke.
"This is about being able to love freely and love openly. We are close to winning," she said.
"Let's recognize today let's recognize tomorrow ... that people have not been allowed to live their lives to the fullest because they have not been granted that opportunity."
- Dieseltec Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Controversial Anti-LGBT Mechanic Has Checkered Past
- Policing Gender And Sexuality In 2015
- Dievendorf Leaves Equality Michigan
- An 'Enchanted' Evening Presents Affirmations' New Prince Charming
- Pride Night At Detroit Tigers Planned
- Ann Arbor Musician Releases LGBT-Themed Video
- Michigan Clergy Prepare For LGBT Weddings In Upcoming Workshop
- Local LGBT-Supportive Catholic Group Conducts Survey On Marriage, Sexuality
- Snyder: 'I Would Veto RFRA Legislation'
- Q&A: Scott Eastwood Endorses Father's Gay Marriage Mantra, Talks Sex Scenes ('I Was Turned On') & Mel Gibson's Advice
- Is GoFundMe The New Welfare For Anti-Gay Corporations?
- Josh Groban Q&A: His Queer Bear Fans, Failing The Ryan Gosling 'Gay Test' & Why He Worships RuPaul
- Anti-Gay Company Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Michigan House Passes Adoption Discrimination Bills
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
SOUTHFIELD - This year the BTL Ultimate LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo was held on the anniversary weekend of Judge Friedman's decision in DeBoer v. Snyder. That decision struck down Michigan's same-sex marriage ban, for less than 24 hours, allowing 323 couples to become legally married in the state.View More Marriage
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!