GALLERY: Hundreds Gather At Cincinnati Courthouse Rally for Equality
Originally printed 8/5/2014 (Issue 2231 - Between The Lines News)
With the Sixth Circuit Court hearing of DeBoer V. Snyder just a day away, over four hundred LGBT people and their allies have gathered in front of the Cincinnati courthouse for Marriage Ohio's rally in support of marriage equality.
The court will be hearing six same-sex marriage cases from four states and their decisions will impact all four states in the 6th Circuit - so a favorable decision would impact not only Michigan, but Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee.
Several community leaders and plaintiffs of the cases addressed the rally-goers.
"We are Kentucky and our marriages and families deserve respect." said Greg Bourke, plaintiff in Kentucky's Bourke v. Beshear.
Equality Michigan Executive Director Emily Dievendorf also spoke.
"This is about being able to love freely and love openly. We are close to winning," she said.
"Let's recognize today let's recognize tomorrow ... that people have not been allowed to live their lives to the fullest because they have not been granted that opportunity."
- Bullying And Harassment: Where Does Michigan Stand?
- JTCC To Host 2015 Washtenaw County Pride Picnic
- Affirmations Gallery Hosts Spiritual Exhibit
- Dievendorf Outraises Opponents In Lansing Primary Race
- Twentieth Annual Hotter Than July Pride Picnic Offered Up Plenty Of Fun
- West Michigan Gay Bar Comes Out Of The Closet
- Michigan Same-Sex Marriage Lawyers Seek Nearly $2M In Fees
- Kalamazoo HIV/AIDS Advocate Runs For City Commission
- Past Presidents Of Hotter Than July Honored At Annual Conference
- Hotter Than July Kicks Off With Candlelight Vigil
- State Now Recognizing Married Same-Sex Parents On Birth Certificates
- A Film For Hopeful Trans Youth: 'Crossing The Divide'
- Obituary: Sharon Hope Gittleman
- Pilot LGBT Youth Workforce Development Program Launches At Affirmations
- Progressive Activist Runs For Kalamazoo City Commission
- Reps. Hoadley, Moss Introduce Proposals To End Gerrymandering
- Lawmakers Voice Support For LGBT Community
- Equality Michigan Announces New Senior Staff
- Analysis: Is A Ballot Battle On LGBT Equality Coming In 2016?
- Unsung Hero
- High-Impact HIV Prevention Project Gets $3.8 Million From CDC
- Q&A: Matt Bomer Talks Channing Flattery ('I Blushed'), Explaining 'Magic Mike' To His Kids & Indecent Gyrations
- Q&A: Hilary Duff Talks Grindr & Giving Too Many F*cks, Geeks Out For Marriage Equality (and Miley Cyrus!)
- Roses Are Red, Violets Are Blue
- Boy George Talks Culture Club Comeback, 'Stupid' Madonna / Gaga Rivalry & How Trans Community Is Still Overlooked Despite Caitlyn Jenner
- Snyder, Legislature Pass Litany Of Intolerant, Regressive Bills
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!