Expo Workshop Will Address LGBT Rights in the Trump Era
Local Attorneys to Discuss What Lies Ahead
BY BTL STAFF
Originally printed 3/16/2017 (Issue 2511 - Between The Lines News)
The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo is a great opportunity to think about and finalize wedding plans, but many LGBT people are concerned about same-sex marriages and what they will look like under the Trump administration. While the president does not have the right to unilaterally scrap marriage equality, he used his power to appoint Supreme Court justices who can.
In an effort to educate and inform LGBT people, Between The Lines will host a workshop, "LGBT Rights in the Trump Era - What Lies Ahead," on March 26 at 11 a.m. in the second floor ballroom at the MotorCity Casino Hotel in Detroit.
The event will be facilitated by Jay Kaplan, staff attorney for the ACLU of Michigan LGBT Project and Angie Martell of Iglesia Martell Law Firm, PLLC in Ann Arbor.
"I'm going to talk about how despite the monumental marriage equality decision, threats to LGBT equality remain, most notably efforts by legislators to pass laws that would permit discrimination under the guise of religious beliefs," said Kaplan. "I will also address the proposed draft Executive Order from the Trump Administration that would also permit this type of discrimination, as well as Michigan's law permitting faith based adoption and foster care agencies that contract with the State to refuse to work with LGBT families. I also talk about the backlash targeting transgender people for discriminatory treatment, such as the bathroom bills we've seen introduced around the country."
Martell's conversation will center around the Obergefell case decided in June 2015, and the complexity of the issues the LGBT community has been up against since then, such as transgender marriage, the resurrection of civil unions and domestic partnerships in other states, divorce, financial planning and prenuptial agreements, name changes, adoption and family planning, and estate planning.
"We understand because we stand in your shoes. We understand and are connected to the pulse of issues in our movement," she said, noting the importance of talking with a culturally competent attorney. "We understand how complex the trajectory still is regarding LGBT issues and are aware of all the issues we still must address and navigate."
The first 50 workshop registrants will receive free access to the Expo. Register for this event at http://www.milgbtwedding.com. Use the code: WKS17.
The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo, a Between The Lines project is March 26 from 12-4 p.m. at the Motor City Casino Hotel in Detroit. For updates, follow http://www.facebook.com/UltimateLGBTExpo on Facebook, @BTLexpo on Twitter and @BTLEXPO on Instagram.
- Emerge Michigan Prepares Democratic Women for Public Office
- Local Community Speaks Out on Gavin Grimm Transgender Case
- Expo Workshop Will Address LGBT Rights in the Trump Era
- Q&A with New EQMI Board Member Buzz Thomas
- Meet Becca Budde, Affirmations Education and Training Manager
- Call for LGBTQ Artists
- Local Leaders Host Title IX Panel Discussion
- BTL Announces $5,000 Challenge Gift to ACLU of Michigan
- Powering Progress Together at Michigan Summit
- NDO Supporters in Jackson Say 'Love Rules'
- View From the Bottom: The Color of Marriage
- MDP Elects Openly Gay Vice Chair for First Time In Its History
- Transgender Michigan Calls for Action
- ERGs Focus at Next LGBT Chamber Event
- Meet EQMI's Department of Victims Services Team
- Actress Lena Dunham Pledged $50,000 to Ruth Ellis Center
- Support the Heidelberg Project in Detroit
- Jackson Pride Center Unveiled
- KGLRC Changes Name, Gets New Location
- Browndog Micro-Batch Creamery Expands Location
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- Genesee County Health Department Primary Care Clinic
- American Radicalism Collection
- Campus; Student and Alumni Groups
- MSU GLBT Alumni Association
- Carpeting & Rugs
- Birmingham World of Rugs
- Clothiers Custom
- 1701 Bespoke
- Heating & Cooling
- Hinson Heating & Air Conditioning
- Masserman Photography
- Religious & Spiritual
- Metropolitan Community Church of Flint
- Lez Hike
- Youth Services
- GIFT Refuge (Group for High School Students)
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- EXCLUSIVE: Susan Sarandon on 'Up For Grabs' Sexuality, Ryan Murphy's 'Feud' & Her Response to Those Who 'Blame Me' For the Election
- Equality Michigan's New Strategy is Bold Risk in This Political Season
- PTA TMI
- Q&A: LeAnn Rimes on HRC Ally Award, Avoiding Political Talk & the Closeted Country Stars Who Motivated Her Activism
- Creep of the Week: Milo Yiannopoulos
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!