Lesbian Couple, Former Detroiters, Imprisoned in Kuwait
By Jason A. Michael
Originally printed 2/25/2016 (Issue 2408 - Between The Lines News)
Monique Coverson, a former Detroiter, spent seven years in the Army, most of it stationed in Kuwait. After active duty, Coverson and her partner Larissa Joseph returned to Kuwait to work as military contractors. On May 8 of last year, shortly before the pair was scheduled to return to the states for a Mother's Day visit, the home the couple shared was raided by Kuwaiti authorities. At that time, authorities allegedly found an ounce of a tobacco-like substance. Upon testing, it was allegedly found to be K2, a form of synthetic marijuana which is legal in Kuwait. But as the two sat in a Kuwaiti jail, the charges began to escalate. By the time they were tried in January, the couple was charged with being in possession of a pound of hash. Found guilty, they were sentenced on Jan. 12 to 20-25 years in prison.
Coverson's mother, Michelle Jackson, believes the hash was planted on her daughter and the charge was false. She has created a change.org petition asking President Obama and the U.S. government to intervene and assist her daughter. So far, the petition has received over nearly 148,000 online signatures
"I am begging the US Government to do what it can to get my daughter and her partner out of jail and back to the States," Jackson said in the petition. "They have clearly been targeted by the Kuwaiti government for their lifestyle and could spend half their lives in prison for it.
"This whole ordeal is a nightmare," Jackson continued. "One minute, I was expecting her for Mother's Day, and the next, I was told she was in prison. Everything I have learned has been through her friends and her lawyer, who has only called to demand more money -- money for services he hasn't rendered. Right now, I would do anything just to hear her voice."
Coverson's sister, Shelby Township resident Ashley Frank, said she is worried about her sister.
"I'm fearful about what this is doing to her mental state," Frank told WDIV Channel 4. Frank said the U.S. government has a responsibility to help her sister.
"This is a chance for America to give back to a veteran who has given to them," she said.
To sign the change.org petition, visit https://www.change.org/p/free-monique-and-larissa-campaign-us-citizens-wrongfully-imprisoned-in-kuwait. To assist in financially supporting Coverson's family with her legal fees, visit a gofundme page the family has set up at https://www.gofundme.com/mjk93pgk. Finally, the family has set up a Facebook page in support of the couple. That can be found at http://www.facebook.com/freemoniqueandlarissa.
- Lesbian Couple, Former Detroiters, Imprisoned in Kuwait
- The 2016 Detroit Regional LGBT Chamber of Commerce
- Sports Charity Comes to Ann Arbor, Launches Online Tournament Fundraiser
- Introducing the Flint City Riveters
- Lesbian Gay Community Network of Western Michigan becomes the Grand Rapids Pride Center
- Upcoming Interfaith Summit Looks at Racial Discrimination and Economic Inequality
- New LGBT Health Center to Open in the Fall
- West Michigan Pastor Sleeps Outside All Winter in Protest for LGBT Equality
- Metro Detroit Softball League Launches Newly Designed Website
- Name Change Presentation at Affirmations
- Queering Your Taxes
- GNA Introduces the Trans Day of Artivism
- Retired Judge David Gernant Has Eyes on 80th District Seat
- Livonia Mom Hosts Art Therapy Workshop for Trans Youth
- New Report Shines Light on LGBT People in US Criminal Justice System
- Start From Here Campaign Gains Support in Detroit
- Upcoming Event Focuses on Gay Marriage, Still Existing Discriminatory Laws
- Fair Michigan Had $1 Million on Hand
- Pistons Pride Night Coming March 6
- Equality Michigan Elects New Board Officers, Plans Million Dollar Year
- Knob Hill Bed & Breakfast
- Art Moran Buick GMC
- Caring Family Dentistry
- Florists/Floral Design
- Blumz by JRDesigns
- State of the Art Framing Gallery
- Grinstein Jewelry
- Bradly's Home and Garden
- Pet Supplies
- Premier Pet Supply
- Social/Community Organizations
- Motor City Pride
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Q&A: Jillian Michaels on Her Madonna-Influenced Coming Out, LGBT Community's Pressure to Marry & Why She Uses the Word 'Fag'
- Affirmations: It's Time to Bring the Community Back to the Center
- Confessions of a Superfan: Why a Self-Proclaimed 'Front-Row Bitch' Wrote 581 Pages on Madonna
- Out of Character: Alex Newell Q&A on Being Asked If He's Trans Post 'Glee,' Stealing Church Solos & Red Lobster
- From US to Canada, Western Michigan Couple Celebrates Their Love
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!