Michigan Bar To Honor DeBoer Attorneys
By BTL Staff
Originally printed 9/4/2014 (Issue 2236 - Between The Lines News)
GRAND RAPIDS - Michigan State Bar members will assemble this month to honor and present awards to top legal professionals in the state.
State Bar of Michigan members will gather Sept. 17 at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel in Grand Rapids to honor 15 Michigan Bar members. The DeBoer attorneys will be amongst a group of 12 State Bar of Michigan lawyers awarded for excellence in the field.
The DeBoer v Snyder team consisting of four attorneys - Kenneth M. Mogill, Dana M. Nessel, Robert A. Sedler and Carole M. Stanyar - will be awarded the Champion of Justice Award. They worked largely on a pro bono basis and served as a model for superior lawyering. For eight days of testimony, these four represented the plaintiffs April DeBoer and Jayne Rowse, the Mich. couple seeking to jointly adopt their three children.
Friedman was the first judge to not issue a stay on his ruling. However, the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals issued a stay the following day on March 22.
The case was presented to the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals on Aug. 6 along with same-sex marriage cases from three other states. The country is currently awaiting the decision.
- Brown Blasts Snyder On Marriage Ban
- Schauer Says LGBTs Valued, Needed In His Administration
- East Lansing Approves Equal Benefits Ordinance
- Michigan Bar To Honor DeBoer Attorneys
- Good News And Bad News In Michigan's 2013 HIV Report
- Washtenaw Residents To Rally Or To Protest
- Sharing Stories Through Dance At REC's Voices Gala
- Betty Leonard, Longtime Manager Of Flint's State Bar, Dies At Age 90
- 'Love Trumps Hate' Counters Anti-Gay Verbal Assault Caught On Video
- World AIDS Conference, PrEP Updates Come To Local Workshop
- UPDATE: Suspected LGBT Killer In Metro Detroit Caught
- Upper Peninsula Celebrates First LGBT Pride Fest
- Schauer's Speech At Michigan Pride
- Schauer Leaves His Mark On Michigan Pride
- GAGG And LGBT: Gearing Up For November
- Affirmations Resumes Search For New Executive Director
- Michigan Education Groups Call For LGBT Rights
- GALLERY: Mark Schauer Joins Equality Rally In Lansing
- Arguments For Right To Stay Married Heard In Caspar v Snyder
- Ann Arbor Animal Hospital
- Ann Arbor Cat Clinic
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
- Washtenaw Veterinary Hospital
- Visitors Bureau
- Ypsilanti Area Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Women's Health
- Planned Parenthood Mid and South Michigan
- Men's Yoga
- Youth Services
- Neutral Zone
- The Corner Health Center - Young Adult Health Center
- Ozone House Youth and Family Services
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Feds Give Spring Arbor University Permission To Discriminate Against LGBT Community
- Michfest Responds: We Have a Few Demands Of Our Own
- Q&A: Jennifer Hudson On Lesbian Rumors & Drag Queen Attitude: 'I Don't Care What You Think'
- LeAnn Rimes Q&A: 'Eddie & I Are A Gay Man's Wet Dream'
- The Good, The Bad And The Ugly For LGBT Michigan
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
"The Ghosts in Our Machine" is a powerful 2013 feature documentary about animal rights, made accessible through the photos and personal journey of well-known international photographer Jo-Anne McArthur and lesbian filmmaker Liz Marshall.
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!