Schauer's Speech At Michigan Pride
Originally printed 9/4/2014 (Issue 2236 - Between The Lines News)
Mark Schauer is the democratic nominee for the 2014 Michigan Governor's race. Him and his running mate, Lisa Brown, have come out in support of the LGBT community and will fight for an amendment to the Elliot-Larsen Act.
Schauer has repeated many times that the day he takes office is the day that the appeal to the DeBoer v Snyder is dropped.
For the first time in many years a gubernatorial candidate addressed the participants of Michigan Pride held in Lansing every year.
"Now, Rick Snyder says he's a tough nerd," Schauer said in his speech. "But let me tell you: there is nothing tough about taking away benefits for committed same-sex couples. There's nothing tough about denying equal rights to the LGBT community. And there's nothing tough about defending a discriminatory ban on marriage equality. That's not tough. That's wrong."
See his Aug. 23 speech on the Lansing Capitol steps below.
- Brown Blasts Snyder On Marriage Ban
- Schauer Says LGBTs Valued, Needed In His Administration
- Good News And Bad News In Michigan's 2013 HIV Report
- Sharing Stories Through Dance At REC's Voices Gala
- Betty Leonard, Longtime Manager Of Flint's State Bar, Dies At Age 90
- 'Love Trumps Hate' Counters Anti-Gay Verbal Assault Caught On Video
- World AIDS Conference, PrEP Updates Come To Local Workshop
- East Lansing Approves Equal Benefits Ordinance
- Washtenaw Residents To Rally Or To Protest
- UPDATE: Suspected LGBT Killer In Metro Detroit Caught
- Upper Peninsula Celebrates First LGBT Pride Fest
- Schauer's Speech At Michigan Pride
- Schauer Leaves His Mark On Michigan Pride
- GAGG And LGBT: Gearing Up For November
- Affirmations Resumes Search For New Executive Director
- Michigan Education Groups Call For LGBT Rights
- GALLERY: Mark Schauer Joins Equality Rally In Lansing
- Arguments For Right To Stay Married Heard In Caspar v Snyder
- Ann Arbor Animal Hospital
- Ann Arbor Cat Clinic
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
- Washtenaw Veterinary Hospital
- Visitors Bureau
- Ypsilanti Area Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Women's Health
- Planned Parenthood Mid and South Michigan
- Men's Yoga
- Youth Services
- Neutral Zone
- The Corner Health Center - Young Adult Health Center
- Ozone House Youth and Family Services
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Feds Give Spring Arbor University Permission To Discriminate Against LGBT Community
- Michfest Responds: We Have a Few Demands Of Our Own
- Q&A: Jennifer Hudson On Lesbian Rumors & Drag Queen Attitude: 'I Don't Care What You Think'
- LeAnn Rimes Q&A: 'Eddie & I Are A Gay Man's Wet Dream'
- The Good, The Bad And The Ugly For LGBT Michigan
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
"The Ghosts in Our Machine" is a powerful 2013 feature documentary about animal rights, made accessible through the photos and personal journey of well-known international photographer Jo-Anne McArthur and lesbian filmmaker Liz Marshall.
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!