Mental Health Providers Access Latest Training On LGBT Clinical Issues
Originally printed 8/21/2014 (Issue 2234 - Between The Lines News)
FERNDALE - On Thursday, Aug. 21, mental health providers around in the metro Detroit area will gain access to the latest professional training to assist in providing quality care to LGBT clients. Affirmations Community Center will host two three-hour trainings for mental health professionals, each focusing on a specific topic related to sexual orientation and gender identity. During the morning session, Carmen Wargel, LMSW and Bryan Victor, LLMSW, will present how to provide mental health services to LGBT survivors of abuse. In the afternoon session, Maureen Bernard, LMSW, CADC, CCS will present on substance use disorders within LGBT communities. Continuing Education Credits are offered for each of the three-hour trainings. Training and registration information is available at http://www.GoAffirmations.org/training.
"Many LGBT people have been unintentionally harmed by well-meaning therapists who are have not been trained specifically on issues significant to the LGBT population, including co-occurring conditions, long-term effects of social stigma, and the effects of legal inequities," said Lydia Ahlum Hanson, Affirmations' Health and Wellness Manager. "These 3-hour trainings dive into two topics which greatly affect LGBT communities - abuse and substance use."
These summer trainings are part of Affirmations' clinical issues training initiative, which includes two core trainings offering 12 continuing credits each, one focusing on clinical issues and sexual orientation and one focusing on clinical issues and gender identity. The next two-day training, Clinical Issues & Sexual Orientation, will be held in November 2014. Affirmations' clinical issues trainings are sponsored by National Association of Social Workers - Michigan Chapter and Michigan School of Professional Psychology. For more information about Affirmations' upcoming training opportunities or its Health and Wellness Program, contact Lydia Ahlum Hanson at LHanson@GoAffirmations.org or call 248-677-7223.
- Equality Michigan and Connect2Protect Fundraise For Gender Neutral Bathrooms In Detroit
- New AIDS Partnership Michigan Coordinator To Tackle HIV, MSM Stigma For Detroit Agency
- Mich. Dems Push Elliott-Larsen Amendment In House And Senate
- Gays Against Gary Glenn
- AIDS Walk Locations
- MY Consent Day Empowers Michigan Youth, LGBT Survivors Of Assault
- Motor City Casino Hotel
- Sing Out Detroit Chorus
- Granite Transformations
- Financial Services
- University of Michigan
Credit Union (UMCU)
- All Around Limos LLC
- Water Work Plumbing
- Religious & Spiritual
- Oasis TBLG Outreach Ministry
- Social/Community Organizations
- Black & White Men Together Detroit
- Symphony Orchestra
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Michfest Responds: We Have a Few Demands Of Our Own
- Q&A: Jennifer Hudson On Lesbian Rumors & Drag Queen Attitude: 'I Don't Care What You Think'
- LeAnn Rimes Q&A: 'Eddie & I Are A Gay Man's Wet Dream'
- Q&A: Bill Hader Talks Gay Kisses ('Paul Rudd Tastes Like Chicken') & Trans Sketch ('Sorry')
- Why Jason Mraz Won't Kiss & Tell: 'I've Spoken Up For The Things That Are Important To Me'
"The Ghosts in Our Machine" is a powerful 2013 feature documentary about animal rights, made accessible through the photos and personal journey of well-known international photographer Jo-Anne McArthur and lesbian filmmaker Liz Marshall.
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!