Sean Kosofsky To Head Tyler Clementi Foundation
Anti-Bullying Organization Plans Growth, Aims For Greater National Impact
By BTL Staff
Originally printed 8/14/2014 (Issue 2233 - Between The Lines News)
NEW YORK - The Tyler Clementi Foundation, based in New York City, has named Sean Kosofsky as its first full-time executive director. TCF was formed in 2012 to honor the memory of gay Rutgers University student Tyler Clementi, who tragically took his life in 2010 after being targeted for his sexuality by his roommate. With this full-time hire, the organization continues with its growth strategy to have a greater national impact in curtailing bullying.
"We are very excited to have someone with Sean's experience, skills and passion join our organization," said Jane Clementi, the mother of Tyler Clementi. "Our organization has tremendous goodwill around the country that we build on with Sean at the helm. We also want to thank our departing executive director, Steven Guy, for the early infrastructure and leadership he provided us as a startup."
Kosofsky's background includes 12 years as the Policy Director for Michigan's Triangle Foundation (now Equality Michigan) where he helped build public support for the eventual passage of the state's anti-bullying law "Matt's Safe Schools Law." He served as co-chair for the campaign to stop North Carolina's anti-marriage equality ballot measure in 2012. He has led several state and national organizations working on a broad range of social justice issues including voting access, women's reproductive health and generally helping organizations grow their capacity.
"I am honored to partner with the Clementi family and the Tyler Clementi Foundation in leading this valuable organization," said Kosofsky. "Bullying, harassment and humiliation destroy the human spirit and people's lives. When the world lost Tyler Clementi, his family didn't retreat. They dedicated their lives to telling their story and working to prevent the suffering and marginalization of others. I am very excited to work with them on that journey and together we plan to expand the impact of the organization in the coming years."
TCF encourages individuals to be "upstanders," not bystanders, when they witness bullying, harassment or humiliation. Individuals can sign a pledge at http://www.tylerclementi.orgBased in New York City, TCF's mission is to promote safe, inclusive and respectful social environments in homes, schools, campuses, churches and the digital world for vulnerable youth, LGBT youth and their allies. We envision a world that embraces all members of society with human dignity and unconditional love regardless of sexual orientation or differences, real or perceived.
- Family And Medical Leave Act Updates Definition Of Spouse
- San Francisco Doctors Report Two Hepatitis C Infections Among PrEP Users
- No Veto From Arkansas Gov. On Bill Banning LGBT Discrimination Laws
- Despite Ban, First Same-Sex Couple Marries In Texas
- Kate Brown Sworn In As Oregon Governor; Predecessor Resigns
- Singer Lesley Gore Succumbs To Cancer
- Some Alabama Counties Refusing Marriage Licenses To Gay Couples
- Couples Ask Arkansas Court To Allow Gay Marriages To Resume
- Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses
- Looming Dilemma For Upcoming Historic Marriage Case
- Is This The Beginning Of The End For Conversion Therapy?
- Justice Thomas Objects To Court's Signal On Gay Marriage
- Bias Complaints At Daimler Portland Plant Settled For $2.4M
- Some California Judges With Ties To Boy Scouts Question Ban
- Transgender Teen's Death Stirs Action In US And Beyond
- Virginia Panel Rejects Adoption By Unmarried Gay Couples
- Senate Panel Quickly Advances Religious Freedom Bill
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- Oakland County Health Division
- Detroit Hispanic Development Corp.
- Transmission Clinic
- Health & Beauty
- Real Estate/Agent
- The LindaLom Team at Trillium Real Estate
- Religious & Spiritual
- Birmingham Temple
- Rainbow Crossing - First United Methodist Church of Ann Arbor
- Rental Service
- Acme Partyworks
- Wake's Travel - Cruise Planners
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- EXCLUSIVE! Ricky Martin Talks Love Life ('I'm Enjoying Being Single'), Shirtless Selfies, Swoon-Worthy Texts & How He'd React To Having Gay Sons
- Controversial Musician Cameron Carpenter: Don't Call Me The 'Flamboyant Organist'
- Q&A: John Waters On Kink Freaks, James Franco, His Collection Of A**hole Art & Why He May Retire From Film
- Closet, Hollywood Gossip Collide In Riverwalk Theatre Production
- Attention Michigan LGBT Career Seekers
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
Dancing, music, delicious food and a party atmosphere will greet the hundreds of people coming out to the 2015 Ultimate LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo March 21.View More Marriage
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!