Celebrate Equality At Mid-Michigan LGBT Pride
By BTL Staff
Originally printed 8/7/2014 (Issue 2232 - Between The Lines News)
SAGINAW - Pride continues in Michigan even after pride month ends. You've been to Ferndale Pride, Motor City Pride, Kalamazoo Pride and Grand Rapids Pride. Go out for another exciting pride and keep the momentum going at the Fourth Annual Mid-Michigan Pride fest on Saginaw's Ojibway Island.
"Pride Month is becoming Pride Summer and Mid-Michigan LGBT Pride offers those who couldn't celebrate in June, or would just like to keep the celebration going a little longer, another chance to express their pride," Tim Price, Mid-Michigan Pride cochair and festival director said. "It's also a great opportunity for those who live in the more northern parts of Michigan to be part of a world-class Pride Event."
Come see dozens of vendors and a full program of speakers and entertainers on two stages. The Main Stage will feature speakers and local and national entertainment. There will be a dance floor under the mid-Michigan LGBT Dance Club tent, which will feature music from a collective of world-renowned DJs and artists from Detroit.
Festivalgoers will have the opportunity to dine on local flavors including a variety of micro-brews, wines and international beers thanks to the Oppermann Cork-N-Ale of Saginaw. A beer tent will be featured in the festival along with a number of stations hosting local restaurants and shops.
Pride Pavilion will host vendors from both local and national retailers. Several local, state and national non-profit and community-based organizations will also set up shop under the Pride Pavilion.
Organizers have included a secured and chaperoned play area for children.
"There is so much excitement about what is happening that we're still getting calls from vendors and entertainers who want to know if they can get in," Mid-Michigan Pride CoChair Alberto Jiminez said. "Even though we're adjusting the program every day, we tell them, 'Yes, but you better hurry!' There is so much positive energy here right now, that Saginaw is definitely the place to be."
Doors open from 12-9 p.m. on Aug. 16 and will be held in the heart of Saginaw's Downtown and Old Town districts on Ojibway IslandFor more information, visit the website at http://www.facebook.com/midmichigan.pride.
- Legislators Call For Legal Protections For LGBT Michiganders
- Michigan's SCOTUS Courtside Campers
- Video: James Toy reflects on Marriage Equality Hearings
- State Senate Committee Passes Adoption Discrimination Bills
- State Capitol Candlelight Vigil Tonight Supporting Marriage Equality
- GOP Senate Source: MiRFRA Will Have Hearing Tuesday April 28, No Vote Expected
- Oakland University To Offer Gender Studies Minor
- Michigan Womyn's Fest Says 2015 Is Last Year
- The Road After SCOTUS Decision
- Advocates And Academics Advance Equality At Inaugural 'Research To Action' Conference
- National Organizations Pull Support From Michfest Petition
- Obituary: Marvin Marks
- New Case Study to Michigan Lawmakers: 'Don't Repeat The Mistakes Of Indiana'
- Marriage Equality March Downtown Flint
- Emily Dievendorf Announces Campaign For Lansing City Council
- Dieseltec Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Controversial Anti-LGBT Mechanic Has Checkered Past
- Pro-Gay Protestors at Dieseltec - GALLERY
- Supporters of DieselTec - GALLERY
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- Michigan Protection and Advocacy Service HIV/AIDS Advocacy Program
- Cocktails & Dreams
- Campus; Student and Alumni Groups
- GVSU LGBT Resource Center
- University Musical Society
- People's Food Co-op and Cafe Verde
- National Organizations
- Immigration Equality
- Pet Adoption
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
- Professional Organizations
- GM PLUS - General Motors LGBT Employee Resource Group
- Religious & Spiritual
- First United Methodist Church
- Social/Community Organizations
- LGBT Detroit
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Anti-Gay Company Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Q&A: Reba Talks 'Very Important' LGBT Rights, Her First Gay Wedding & Feeling 'Sad' For Closeted Country Stars
- Q&A: Scott Eastwood Endorses Father's Gay Marriage Mantra, Talks Sex Scenes ('I Was Turned On') & Mel Gibson's Advice
- Is GoFundMe The New Welfare For Anti-Gay Corporations?
- Josh Groban Q&A: His Queer Bear Fans, Failing The Ryan Gosling 'Gay Test' & Why He Worships RuPaul
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!