Couples wait on line at the Oakland County Courthouse March 27 to receive marriage licenses. Over 315 couples married in four counties across Michigan that day, before Attorney General Bill Schuette was successful in securing a stay which stopped county clerks from continuing to issue marriage licenses.
Rally And Marches For Marriage Equality Planned: 6th Circuit Hearing
By AJ Trager
Originally printed 7/31/2014 (Issue 2231 - Between The Lines News)
MICHIGAN - The 6th Circuit Court hearing is just around the corner and Michigan and Ohio marriage equality groups have worked hard to gather support for repealing the same-sex marriage ban. Several rallies and marches in both states have been organized. LGBT and allies are urged to bring their friends and family and show their support.
On Aug. 5, the eve of the hearing, a rally for marriage will be held in downtown Cincinnati at Lytle Park. The rally will be held from 5:30-7 p.m. and will feature speakers like former Ohio Governor Ted Strickland. Organizers of the event have asked attendees to wear red in support of marriage equality. Visit the Facebook website to sign up and get more info at https://www.facebook.com/events/328119387363737/.
There will be a march at noon the following day at the Cincinnati Federal Court House. The Midwest March for Equality will include OH, MI, TN and KY. The march will include a commitment ceremony and feature key speakers David Pepper, Joe Otis and Joshua Alan Snyder-Hill & Steven Steve Snyder-Hill. Coffee and donuts will be provided for those who participate early and arrive at 11:30 a.m. The march is expected to conclude around 3 p.m. For more info, visit the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/events/406902512782366/.
A marriage equality rally for those unable to make it to the Ohio events will be held from 5:30-7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 5 in Flint at the Genesee County Courthouse. Visit the Facebook page for more information and to RSVP https://www.facebook.com/events/589041154549579/.
The Rally for Marriage in Michigan will be held at 5:30 p.m. on Aug. 5 at the First Presbyterian Church 510 W. Ottawa St., Lansing.
The Rally for Marriage in Detroit will be held at 5:30 p.m. Aug. 5 at the Renaissance Unity 11200 E. 11 Mile Rd. Warren, MI 48089.
Follow pridesource.com to get up to date information on when and where to be for the 6th circuit rallies and marches.
For more information on the events to be held in Michigan go to http://action.marriagemi.org/page/s/rally-for-marriage and sign up.
- Legislators Call For Legal Protections For LGBT Michiganders
- Michigan's SCOTUS Courtside Campers
- Video: James Toy reflects on Marriage Equality Hearings
- State Senate Committee Passes Adoption Discrimination Bills
- State Capitol Candlelight Vigil Tonight Supporting Marriage Equality
- GOP Senate Source: MiRFRA Will Have Hearing Tuesday April 28, No Vote Expected
- Oakland University To Offer Gender Studies Minor
- Michigan Womyn's Fest Says 2015 Is Last Year
- The Road After SCOTUS Decision
- Advocates And Academics Advance Equality At Inaugural 'Research To Action' Conference
- National Organizations Pull Support From Michfest Petition
- Obituary: Marvin Marks
- New Case Study to Michigan Lawmakers: 'Don't Repeat The Mistakes Of Indiana'
- Marriage Equality March Downtown Flint
- Emily Dievendorf Announces Campaign For Lansing City Council
- Dieseltec Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Controversial Anti-LGBT Mechanic Has Checkered Past
- Pro-Gay Protestors at Dieseltec - GALLERY
- Supporters of DieselTec - GALLERY
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- Michigan Protection and Advocacy Service HIV/AIDS Advocacy Program
- Cocktails & Dreams
- Campus; Student and Alumni Groups
- GVSU LGBT Resource Center
- University Musical Society
- People's Food Co-op and Cafe Verde
- National Organizations
- Immigration Equality
- Pet Adoption
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
- Professional Organizations
- GM PLUS - General Motors LGBT Employee Resource Group
- Religious & Spiritual
- First United Methodist Church
- Social/Community Organizations
- LGBT Detroit
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Anti-Gay Company Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Q&A: Reba Talks 'Very Important' LGBT Rights, Her First Gay Wedding & Feeling 'Sad' For Closeted Country Stars
- Q&A: Scott Eastwood Endorses Father's Gay Marriage Mantra, Talks Sex Scenes ('I Was Turned On') & Mel Gibson's Advice
- Is GoFundMe The New Welfare For Anti-Gay Corporations?
- Josh Groban Q&A: His Queer Bear Fans, Failing The Ryan Gosling 'Gay Test' & Why He Worships RuPaul
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!