Couples wait on line at the Oakland County Courthouse March 27 to receive marriage licenses. Over 315 couples married in four counties across Michigan that day, before Attorney General Bill Schuette was successful in securing a stay which stopped county clerks from continuing to issue marriage licenses.
Rally And Marches For Marriage Equality Planned: 6th Circuit Hearing
By AJ Trager
Originally printed 7/31/2014 (Issue 2231 - Between The Lines News)
MICHIGAN - The 6th Circuit Court hearing is just around the corner and Michigan and Ohio marriage equality groups have worked hard to gather support for repealing the same-sex marriage ban. Several rallies and marches in both states have been organized. LGBT and allies are urged to bring their friends and family and show their support.
On Aug. 5, the eve of the hearing, a rally for marriage will be held in downtown Cincinnati at Lytle Park. The rally will be held from 5:30-7 p.m. and will feature speakers like former Ohio Governor Ted Strickland. Organizers of the event have asked attendees to wear red in support of marriage equality. Visit the Facebook website to sign up and get more info at https://www.facebook.com/events/328119387363737/.
There will be a march at noon the following day at the Cincinnati Federal Court House. The Midwest March for Equality will include OH, MI, TN and KY. The march will include a commitment ceremony and feature key speakers David Pepper, Joe Otis and Joshua Alan Snyder-Hill & Steven Steve Snyder-Hill. Coffee and donuts will be provided for those who participate early and arrive at 11:30 a.m. The march is expected to conclude around 3 p.m. For more info, visit the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/events/406902512782366/.
A marriage equality rally for those unable to make it to the Ohio events will be held from 5:30-7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 5 in Flint at the Genesee County Courthouse. Visit the Facebook page for more information and to RSVP https://www.facebook.com/events/589041154549579/.
The Rally for Marriage in Michigan will be held at 5:30 p.m. on Aug. 5 at the First Presbyterian Church 510 W. Ottawa St., Lansing.
The Rally for Marriage in Detroit will be held at 5:30 p.m. Aug. 5 at the Renaissance Unity 11200 E. 11 Mile Rd. Warren, MI 48089.
Follow pridesource.com to get up to date information on when and where to be for the 6th circuit rallies and marches.
For more information on the events to be held in Michigan go to http://action.marriagemi.org/page/s/rally-for-marriage and sign up.
- Love is Patient, Love is Kind: Local Couple Details Path to Altar
- JCC Book Fair Welcomes Jewish Gay Author
- 3 Michigan Cities Score Perfect 100 Rating in LGBT Inclusion Report
- Conversation On Bullying Empowers Students and Parents
- Freedom House Seeks Help for LGBT Refugees
- John Allen Paves Way for Brighter Future for LGBTQ Youth
- Detroit Police Officer Dani Woods Recipient of Equality Michigan Award
- Oakland County Clerk Lisa Brown Celebrates Same-Sex Marriages
- State Board: Lawyer with Anti-Gay Rants Committed Misconduct
- Holly Lanes Hosting LGBT and Friends Night to Connect Around Equality
- Community Demands Justice for LGBTQ Prisoners
- Village of Holly Votes 6-1 Against Human Rights Ordinance
- Attorney Faces LGBTQ Discrimination
- Progressive Groups Join Forces to Win Big in Election 2016
- Federal Law Protects Transgender People at Homeless Shelters
- LGBTQ Youth Need Inclusive Sex Education
- Urge Michigan Attorney General to Withdraw from Federal Lawsuit
- Anti-LGBTQ Smear Campaign Targets Eaton County Commissioner
- Jorgensen Ford
- MotorCity Casino
- Charter Yachts
- Infinity & Ovation Yacht Charters
- National Organizations
- American Civil Liberties Union, Lesbian and Gay Project
- Professional Organizations
- Michigan Gay Officers Action League
- Elsie Publishing
- Real Estate/Agent
- Keller Williiams Real Estate
- Religious & Spiritual
- St. Lukes Episcopal Church
- Substance Abuse
- Alcoholic Anonymous
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Hillary Clinton's Commitment to LGBT Equality Stronger Than Ever
- 'Campfire' Opens at The Ringwald Theatre
- McCrory, Cooper Blast Each other on LGBT Law in Debate
- Unleashing Garrett Clayton: Actor on Studying Porn, Keeping His Sexuality Private & How His Latest Movie's Greatest Critic Brent Corrigan 'Let the Movie Get Made'
- Idina Menzel on Working Toward LGBT Icon Status, a Lesbian Elsa & Angry Gays Who Oppose Her 'Beaches' Remake
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
As an openly gay man, Fred Hoffman said, "I really didn't know if there would be an issue." And while he wasn't waving rainbow flags when he was recruited by Chrysler in 1988, he was told being gay wasn't a problem.View More Automotive
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!