Gary Glenn Causes More Controversy In 98th House Race Primary
By Todd Heywood
Originally printed 7/31/2014 (Issue 2231 - Between The Lines News)
Gary Glenn, head of the American Family Association of Michigan, is once again causing controversy in state politics. This time, Glenn is a candidate for the 98th House district of Michigan. He is running as a Republican.
But a DeVos family backed political group - The Great Lakes Education Project - is not only supporting his rival for the nomination, Karl Ieuter, but also sending a mailing to the district which has some of Glenn's rightwing ministerial supporters gnashing their teeth. The winner of the primary is expected to replace Tony Stamas, who has served three terms in the House and is ineligible to seek another term.
The mailing, attacking Glenn on his support of the FAIR tax scheme, notes that he has argued gays should be imprisoned and that he has publicly supported essays written by white supremacists. The latter allegations sent a group of black pastors, with deep ties to Glenn's anti-gay activism, into overdrive on Monday.
"In retaliation, GLEP is now funding false and malicious attacks that accuse Gary of wanting to
imprison all gay citizens," the pastors wrote in a press release circulated by Stacy Swimp, a minister from the Flint area who spent years in prison after being convicted of assault with intent to murder. "Worse, and this is where we come in, they unbelievably accuse Gary of endorsing 'white supremacists' and 'Klan leaders.'"
Glenn has, indeed, said he believes people should be imprisoned for homosexuality. In February 2010, Glenn told the Michigan Messenger that he supported calls by Family Research Council employee Peter Sprigg for re-criminalizing homosexuality. Sprigg had made the claim in support of his opposition to repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" - the law that excluded out gay service members in the U.S. military.
"The short answer to your question is yes, we believe that states should be free to regulate and prohibit behavior that's a violation of community standards and a proven threat to public health and safety - including, as of the United States did throughout its history, homosexual behavior," Glenn wrote to Messenger at the time. He was responding to whether or not he supported re-criminalizing homosexuality.
Glenn's KKK Connection
The rightwing radical has also championed the writings of known white nationalists. When Republican National Committeemen Dave Agema came under fire a year ago for relying on the writings of Dr. Frank Joseph, Glenn posted a note to salute and thank Agema via Facebook message for posting the letter. The letter from Joseph alleged, among other things, that homosexuals accounted for half of all murders in large cities, that a large swath of homosexuals are infested with intestinal parasites, homosexuals prey on children and that 21 percent of lesbians die in traffic accidents, suicide or the result of murder.
Information in the posting is sourced to propaganda written by Edward Fields. Fields is an active participant in Georgia KKK activities, reported MLive's Ken Braun. He has also alleged the Holocaust was not nearly as bad as history teaches.
The press release supporting Glenn from black pastors was signed by, among others, Bishop Ira Combs of Jackson and Rev. Levon Yuille of Ypsilanti. Both Combs and Yuille, ironically, signed onto Glenn's failed federal lawsuit challenging the federal hate crimes law, formally known as the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act. Shepard was a gay man who was robbed, savagely beaten and hung on a fence in Laramie, Wyoming in the 90s. Byrd was a black man who was tied to a truck bumper and dragged to his death in Texas during that same period. Both crimes were motivated by animus, court records show.
Emails to Stacy Swimp seeking to clarify if the pastors supported Glenn's call for re-criminalization of homosexuality were not responded to by Swimp at press time.
- A Remembrance: Robert Clark
- New LGBT Tobacco Disparity Report For Michigan Released
- Representation: Trans Activism In Michigan Lame Duck
- Between Bass And Treble: An Alto Story
- Local Gatherings Against MiRFRA
- Call To Action: Petition Seeks To Stop MIRFRA
- Top Faith Leaders Discuss Religious Freedom, LGBT Inclusion
- The First Trans Helpline In USA Is In Michigan
- LGBT Judge To Speak At Ann Arbor Interfaith Service
- Gay Therapist Discusses Sexualities Of LGBT And Straight Men In New Book
- Affirmations Seeks LGBTQ-Friendly Healthcare Providers
- Ruth Ellis Center Celebrates 15 Years Serving LGBTQ Youth
- The Rise Of 'License To Discriminate'; The Failure Of LGBT Civil Rights
- State Civil Rights Amendment Dead, Says Speaker
- WCC Expands LGBT Protections
- PrEP Debate Continues As Advocates Hold Conversations In State
- 'KICK' Off The Holidays With Annual Gala In Detroit
- Foster Children's Charity Collecting New Toys, Gifts For Holiday Bazaar
- Right Reverend Wendell Gibbs To Speak On Marriage Equality
- Affirmations Hosts Information Session On LGBT Foster Parenting And Adoption
- Human Sexuality Collection
- Williams Auto World
- Transmission Clinic
- University Musical Society
- Farmers Market
- Royal Oak Farmer's Market
- Pet Adoption
- Tail Waggers 1990
- Pet Grooming
- Club Pet Too
- Pet Training
- PRO K-9 In-Home Training Professionals
- Political Organizations
- Equality Michigan
- Wine Shop
- Cloverleaf Fine Wine
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Exclusive! 'Looking' Star Russell Tovey On Sex Scenes, His Famous Butt & That Rimming Cake
- Q&A: Andy Cohen On His (Almost) Tell-All Book, 'Nasty' Names Gays Call Him
- Divine Intervention: Bette Midler Talks Early Gay Support, 'Diva' Degradation & Twerking ('Girls, Please!')
- Creep of the Week: The Duggars
- Being Young & Coming Out To Bette Midler
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!