State Rep. Zemke Introduces Bill To Prohibit Conversion Therapy In Michigan
Originally printed 7/23/2014 (Issue 2229 - Between The Lines News)
LANSING -- State Representative Adam F. Zemke (D-Ann Arbor) sponsored legislation on July 16 that would outlaw the practice of conversion therapy in Michigan. House Bill 5703 prohibits "any practice by a mental health professional that seeks to change a minor's sexual orientation." Similar laws are in place in California, New Jersey and New York and have been upheld by federal courts.
"I'm committed to making Michigan an inclusive state, where people feel welcome as they are," Zemke said. "Conversion therapy has proven to be ineffective and harmful, especially for children, and it doesn't belong here in Michigan or anywhere. I am pleased to see that this issue is being championed on a bipartisan basis in state legislatures across our country and by Republican Gov. Chris Christie in New Jersey. I hope that we will see the same bipartisan support in our own Legislature."
The bill is also sponsored by Sam Singh, Brian Banks, Andrew J. Kandrevas, Jeff Irwin, Scott Dianda, Sarah Roberts, Rashida Tlaib, Jon Switalski, Jim Townsend, Ellen Cogen Lipton, Vicki Barnett, Rose Mary C. Robinson.
- Detroit Leadership Class Welcomes Affirmations' Director Of Programs
- Equality Michigan and Connect2Protect Fundraise For Gender Neutral Bathrooms In Detroit
- New AIDS Partnership Michigan Coordinator To Tackle HIV, MSM Stigma For Detroit Agency
- Mich. Dems Push Elliott-Larsen Amendment In House And Senate
- Gays Against Gary Glenn
- AIDS Walk Locations
- MY Consent Day Empowers Michigan Youth, LGBT Survivors Of Assault
- Suburban Buick GMC
- State Farm Insurance
- Leather Gear
- Noir Leather
- National Organizations
- Pet Day Care
- Camp Bow Wow Brighton
- Religious & Spiritual
- Plymouth Congregational Church
- Temple Emanu-El
- Silk Screening
- Flaunt it Sportswear
- Youth Services
- The Trevor Helpline
- Ozone House Youth and Family Services
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Michfest Responds: We Have a Few Demands Of Our Own
- Q&A: Jennifer Hudson On Lesbian Rumors & Drag Queen Attitude: 'I Don't Care What You Think'
- LeAnn Rimes Q&A: 'Eddie & I Are A Gay Man's Wet Dream'
- Q&A: Bill Hader Talks Gay Kisses ('Paul Rudd Tastes Like Chicken') & Trans Sketch ('Sorry')
- Why Jason Mraz Won't Kiss & Tell: 'I've Spoken Up For The Things That Are Important To Me'
"The Ghosts in Our Machine" is a powerful 2013 feature documentary about animal rights, made accessible through the photos and personal journey of well-known international photographer Jo-Anne McArthur and lesbian filmmaker Liz Marshall.
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!