Good News For LGBT Students At Michigan Universities
By BTL Staff
Originally printed 7/23/2014 (Issue 2229 - Between The Lines News)
Further LGBT progress has come to some Michigan universities this week. AP reports that an anonymous gift of $1 million will expand programs at Michigan State University's Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay, Transgender Resource Center.
The East Lansing school announced Tuesday that the money comes from the estates of a Michigan State alumnus and his partner.
The university says that the gift will establish the Support, Outreach, Action and Respect Fund.
Michigan State says that the center "leads and collaborates on university-wide initiatives that prepare all students to succeed through educational programs on sexuality and gender identity."
In Metro Detroit, Dearborn, Mich. will play host to a university level course focusing on LGBT issues. The University of Michigan-Dearborn will feature "Perspectives in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Studies" as a Women's and Gender Studies Course. WGST 390 will run every Tuesday and Thursday for the Fall 2014 semester.
Taught by Amy Brainer, Assistant Professor of Women's and Gender Studies and Sociology, the class will focus on the gaps that remain in the knowledge of LGBTQ lives, what issues emerge as important to LGBTQ people specifically at U of M-Dearborn and more. Questions that will be asked and analyzed include "Are there universal LGBTQ issues?" and "What motivates the diverse fields of LGBTQ studies?"Keep up with LGBT programs and events at Michigan universities in BTL's calendar.
- Equality Michigan and Connect2Protect Fundraise For Gender Neutral Bathrooms In Detroit
- New AIDS Partnership Michigan Coordinator To Tackle HIV, MSM Stigma For Detroit Agency
- Mich. Dems Push Elliott-Larsen Amendment In House And Senate
- Gays Against Gary Glenn
- AIDS Walk Locations
- MY Consent Day Empowers Michigan Youth, LGBT Survivors Of Assault
- Art Galleries
- Detroit Artists Market
- Rasor Law Firm
- Community Centers
- Deck Builders
- Cedar Works
- Funeral Services
- Sullivan & Son Funeral Directors
- Moto Photo
- Professional Organizations
- Ties Like Me
- Ann Arbor Queer Aquatics
- Ann Arbor Animal Hospital
- Wedding Gowns
- B. Ella Bridal
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Michfest Responds: We Have a Few Demands Of Our Own
- Q&A: Jennifer Hudson On Lesbian Rumors & Drag Queen Attitude: 'I Don't Care What You Think'
- LeAnn Rimes Q&A: 'Eddie & I Are A Gay Man's Wet Dream'
- Q&A: Bill Hader Talks Gay Kisses ('Paul Rudd Tastes Like Chicken') & Trans Sketch ('Sorry')
- Why Jason Mraz Won't Kiss & Tell: 'I've Spoken Up For The Things That Are Important To Me'
"The Ghosts in Our Machine" is a powerful 2013 feature documentary about animal rights, made accessible through the photos and personal journey of well-known international photographer Jo-Anne McArthur and lesbian filmmaker Liz Marshall.
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!