Singer/Actress Demi Lovato Releases Marriage Equality Video
Originally printed 7/18/2014 (Issue 2229 - Between The Lines News)
MotherJones reports that singer and actress Demi Lovato has released a video with the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) supporting marriage equality. According to the HRC, "Demi has made anti-bullying advocacy a cornerstone of her public life, impacting countless young people around the world, including the youth in the LGBT community who view her as a role-model when it comes to being true to yourself. At a time where 92 percent of adolescents are constantly being exposed to negative messages about being LGBT, Demi provides an incredible stance on positivity and love."
In the 45 second video, Lovato states, "I'm an American for marriage equality. I believe that love comes in all different shapes, sizes and colors. So whether you're LGBT or straight, your love is valid, beautiful and an incredible gift." She then asks viewers to join her and "the majority of Americans" who support marriage equality.
Lovato has a history of supporting LGBT rights, from serving as the Grand Marshal of the Los Angeles Pride Parade this year to speaking openly about her grandfather's homosexuality. She's also portrayed a lesbian character on the Fox hit, "Glee."
The singer has also sparked controversy when it comes to her strong work as an ally.
Lovato told Cambio magazine, "I believe in gay marriage, I believe in equality. I think there's a lot of hypocrisy with religion...I just found that you can have your own relationship with God, and I still have a lot of faith."
During a performance during this summer's New York City gay pride, two of Lovato's male backup dancers shared a kiss with an image of Russian president, Vladimir Putin, covering the crotch of one of the mostly naked dancers. The anti-gay president has reportedly been offended by the performance.
See that coverage in this NSFW video.
- Hear Me Out: Ariana Grande, Ryan Adams
- Barbra Streisand's Duet With Gay Son Is Highlight Of New Album
- Why Tori Amos 'Sophie's Choice' Tour Is Pure Magic
- REVIEW: Amy Grant Gays Up Sound On First Remix Album (Thank God!)
- Hear Me Out: Jason Mraz, Weird Al Yankovic
- Singer/Actress Demi Lovato Releases Marriage Equality Video
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- Am-Indian Health & Family Services of SE Michigan
- Dessert Diva
- Families and Parents
- PFLAG Lenawee
- Hotlines & Switchboards
- TransGender Michigan Help Line
- Moving Companies
- Real Estate
- The McCarty Team
- Real Estate/Agent
- Re/Max Showcase Homes
- Religious & Spiritual
- First Congregational United Church of Christ
- Phoenix Community Church United Church of Christ
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Michfest Responds: We Have a Few Demands Of Our Own
- Q&A: Jennifer Hudson On Lesbian Rumors & Drag Queen Attitude: 'I Don't Care What You Think'
- LeAnn Rimes Q&A: 'Eddie & I Are A Gay Man's Wet Dream'
- Why Jason Mraz Won't Kiss & Tell: 'I've Spoken Up For The Things That Are Important To Me'
- Equality Michigan Stands With Allies: Seeking Full Inclusion
"The Ghosts in Our Machine" is a powerful 2013 feature documentary about animal rights, made accessible through the photos and personal journey of well-known international photographer Jo-Anne McArthur and lesbian filmmaker Liz Marshall.
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!