Arts & Entertainment
Mississippi Mayor Becomes First To Announce Support Of Marriage Equality
By BTL Staff
Originally printed 7/17/2014 (Issue 2229 - Between The Lines News)
WAVELAND, Miss. - LGBTQ Nation reports that they mayor of Waveland, Miss., David Garcia, has announced his support for same-sex marriage. This makes him the first sitting mayor of the southern state to publicly support marriage equality.
Garcia released a statement saying: "We know many people in loving and committed same-sex relationships who are active participants in improving our communities and we've seen how important marriage has been for them and their families. Because I believe in fairness for all American families, I support the freedom to marry for same-sex couples willing to take on that commitment."
The Waveland city council passed an anti-discrimination resolution in May that recognized the "dignity and worth of all city residents," specifying inclusion of those who are LGBT. Waveland is one of eight Mississippi municipalities that have adopted such a resolution. Other cities include Jackson, Starkville, Hattiesburg, Greenville, Magnolia, Bay St. Louis and Oxford.
The move by Waveland mayor and other cities to support marriage equality or protect LGBT citizens from discrimination comes after a "religious freedom" bill passed the Mississippi legislature earlier this month. Opponents of the measure, already signed by Gov. Phil Bryant, say the bill would effectively sanction discrimination against the LGBT people of Mississippi.
Despite the conflicting stances on equality held by Mississippi officials, hundreds of businesses are displaying a decal welcoming LGBT customers into their stores, restaurants and more. Garcia noted that LGBT residents in Waveland help the economy and spend money like any other resident.
- California Bans 'Gay Panic' Defense
- Utah Plaintiffs Ask SCOTUS To Review Case
- First-Of-Its-Kind LGBT Jewish Curriculum
- EqualityMaine Advances Trans Healthcare Coverage
- Florida Supreme Court Asked To Rule On Same-Sex Marriage
- Womyn Born Womyn House Staffer Edits Trans Identity Wikipedia Pages
- 7th Circuit Court Of Appeals Hears Marriage Equality Cases
- When A Lesbian Becomes A Man
- TLC Star Says Transgender People Are Child Predators
- Florida Federal Judge Rules For Same-Sex Marriage
- Landmark Gay Bookstore In Philly To Reopen
- Couple Wins Wedding Venue Dispute
- Virginia Family Foundation Protests Gay Marriage With Fake Fast
- Boy Killed By Mother For Playing With Dolls
- SCOTUS Blocks Virginia Same-Sex Marriages
- Open Letter On Michael Brown #HandsUpDon'tShoot
- Will & Grace Featured In The Smithsonian Collection
- Cyber Bullying Higher For LGBT Youth
- Oregon Medicaid To Cover Gender Reassignment Surgery
- Bryan Fisher Blames Lesbian Attorney For Perry's Indictment
- Welcoming First Trans Man To U.S. House of Reps
- Facebook Donated $10k To Attorney General Appealing Marriage Equality In Utah