Facebook Reacts to Return Of HIV In Formerly 'Cured' Child
By BTL Staff
Originally printed 7/15/2014 (Issue 2228 - Between The Lines News)
A Mississippi girl famously "cured" of HIV last year has been found with detectable levels of the virus again. The unfortunate news left many on Facebook reacting with emotions ranging from anger to sadness to hope.
"Well that sucks."
"Hey at least [we] found something to make it dormant! Its a start!"
"They never said it was cured certainly. They said they found no traces of it but had to wait for more observation to see if it will resurface, which it did."
"Did nobody mention that the mother stopped the treatment for the baby midway through it?"
"If only the baby was a rich and famous NBA player named Magic Johnson."
"Over my lifetime; I can't think of any major disease that has been cured. Only preventions and treatments on top of more preventions and treatments. Where's all this money for research going? I think the system's corrupt; there's more money in treatments than cures. General public is f*****. No cure for the 40 different strains of HPV? Something that seems so simple. How do you think they're going to cure something as complex as AIDS?"
"We WERE SO CLOSE!!! Come on LETS IRRADIATE this S***."
"Well I don't know why this is a big deal. They taught us in health class once you have it you have it. I know it can get to a degree that's undetectable...but it can always come back up."
"Sad. But still hopeful."
- Equality Michigan and Connect2Protect Fundraise For Gender Neutral Bathrooms In Detroit
- New AIDS Partnership Michigan Coordinator To Tackle HIV, MSM Stigma For Detroit Agency
- Mich. Dems Push Elliott-Larsen Amendment In House And Senate
- Gays Against Gary Glenn
- AIDS Walk Locations
- MY Consent Day Empowers Michigan Youth, LGBT Survivors Of Assault
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- Kalamazoo County Health & Community Services
- Common Language
- Financial Services
- Harbour Tax & Accounting
- The General Store
- Green Thumb Garden Center
- Crane Optical
- Rental Service
- Acme Partyworks
- Social/Community Organizations
- International Mr. Leather, Inc.
- Substance Abuse, HIV Counseling and Testing
- Institute for Population Health
- Michigan Theater
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Michfest Responds: We Have a Few Demands Of Our Own
- Q&A: Jennifer Hudson On Lesbian Rumors & Drag Queen Attitude: 'I Don't Care What You Think'
- LeAnn Rimes Q&A: 'Eddie & I Are A Gay Man's Wet Dream'
- Why Jason Mraz Won't Kiss & Tell: 'I've Spoken Up For The Things That Are Important To Me'
- Equality Michigan Stands With Allies: Seeking Full Inclusion
"The Ghosts in Our Machine" is a powerful 2013 feature documentary about animal rights, made accessible through the photos and personal journey of well-known international photographer Jo-Anne McArthur and lesbian filmmaker Liz Marshall.
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!