Arts & Entertainment
Facebook Reacts to Return Of HIV In Formerly 'Cured' Child
By BTL Staff
Originally printed 7/15/2014 (Issue 2228 - Between The Lines News)
A Mississippi girl famously "cured" of HIV last year has been found with detectable levels of the virus again. The unfortunate news left many on Facebook reacting with emotions ranging from anger to sadness to hope.
"Well that sucks."
"Hey at least [we] found something to make it dormant! Its a start!"
"They never said it was cured certainly. They said they found no traces of it but had to wait for more observation to see if it will resurface, which it did."
"Did nobody mention that the mother stopped the treatment for the baby midway through it?"
"If only the baby was a rich and famous NBA player named Magic Johnson."
"Over my lifetime; I can't think of any major disease that has been cured. Only preventions and treatments on top of more preventions and treatments. Where's all this money for research going? I think the system's corrupt; there's more money in treatments than cures. General public is f*****. No cure for the 40 different strains of HPV? Something that seems so simple. How do you think they're going to cure something as complex as AIDS?"
"We WERE SO CLOSE!!! Come on LETS IRRADIATE this S***."
"Well I don't know why this is a big deal. They taught us in health class once you have it you have it. I know it can get to a degree that's undetectable...but it can always come back up."
"Sad. But still hopeful."
- Lesbian Couple In Kalamazoo See Home Ruined
- Equality Michigan Starts Petition To Change Michfest Trans Exclusion Policy
- Fifth Annual Hotter Than July Boat Ride A Fun Time
- HTJ Opening Ceremony Draws Large Crowd
- State Rep. Zemke Introduces Bill To Prohibit Conversion Therapy In Michigan
- Good News For LGBT Students At Michigan Universities
- HTJ Pride Picnic Preview
- HTJ Schedule: Warming Up Detroit
- Progressive Detroit Talks On The National Level: Netroots Closeup
- LGBTs Connect At Netroots Nation
- Michigan Healthcare Providers Discuss LGBT Focus Initiatives
- Mark Schauer Comes To Braun Court
- Hotter Than July Preview
- Immigration: Out Of The Shadows
- Choice: Closely Aligned
- Environment: Only Way To Win Is By Working Together
- Housing: 'We Are All In This Together'
- Labor: A Decades Long Partnership
- Two More Openly LGBT Candidates Announce MI Campaigns
- Hotter Than July Film Festival In Midtown
- Diverse Support For Same-Sex Couples In Michigan's Marriage Ban Challenge