LGBT Mud 5k Brings In Over 650 Runners
Originally printed 7/10/2014 (Issue 2228 - Between The Lines News)
New York, NY Out-Fit Challenge recently thrived in bringing New Yorkers together in support of family equality. The sporting event featured over 15 military style obstacles which included various elements such as mud, water and ice throughout the course.
The event drew more than 650 participants who were ready and willing to get muddy for a good cause, including reality star and recording artist Sara Stokes. Sara Stokes is known for her roles in 2006's "YaDaDa Movie" and the 2002 ABC/MTV music reality series by P. Diddy, "Making the Band". The Michigan born songstress participated in the mud run to join the fight for LGBT family equality and took pictures with fans.
This year's event took place from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on June 21 at the Tuxedo Ridge Ski Center in Tuxedo, New York. Race waves began every 20 minutes. The LGBT sporting event is now officially sponsored by Jack'd, a top gay men's chat and dating app available for free on the App Store and Google Play, as well as a NYC Pride Partner for 2014. Other sponsors include Kind Healthy Snacks, Kellogg School of Management, Equality Florida, Miami Beach Gay Pride and NYC Pride. This year's New York event charity of choice was the Family Equality Council, which connects supports and represents the LGBT community across the US.
"Our success with Out-Fit Challenge this year surely surpassed our expectations," begins Founder & CEO of Out-Fit Challenge, Tory Fitzgerald. "We were able to accomplish our mission by uniting our community through fun and competitive means. It's amazing to watch people who don't know each other cheering and providing extreme encouragement to one another while completing the 5K course."
The sporting event featured obstacles such as the "Cherry Picker," "Is that Mud in Your Pants" and "Hello Sailor." Once participants reach the finish line they were then welcomed by a lively end of race after party. Out-Fit Challenge premiered with two very successful mud runs in Miami and New York in 2013. For 2014, they expanded their 5K cross-country trails to four cites chosen through a public online voting contest. The next cities on the list for Out-Fit Challenge include Reno, Nevada on September 20, 2014 followed by events in Boston, Massachusetts and San Francisco, California. Apart from putting on mud run sporting events, the organization aims to aid national and local charities that are making a significant difference in the lives of LGBT individuals across the United States such as the Family Equality Council.
For more information on Out-Fit Challenge or to get an LGBT run in Michigan, please visit http://out-fitchallenge.com/. For information on Sponsorship for the other events email email@example.com or call 877-841-7244.Out-Fit Challenge is designed by and for members and friends of the LGBT community who aspire to compete, make new connections and celebrate community via outdoor endurance sports. The company provides proceeds from every event to a national and local organization that strives to make a difference for LGBT individuals.
- Supreme Court Hears Same-Sex Marriage Cases
- Quick Guide To Supreme Court Arguments
- Guam First U.S. Territory To Allow Gay Marriage
- The 2016 Presidential Campaign Shapes Up As Exciting One for LGBT People
- Executive Order Protecting LGBT In Workplace Now In Effect
- Indiana Success Emboldens Gay Rights Advocates In U.S.
- Reuters Poll Shows RFRA Holds Minority Support
- Support For Same-Sex Marriage Rising In 50 States, Study Finds
- Candlewick Relaunches LGBT-Inclusive Modern Classic
- Depressive Symptoms Tied to LGB Identities In Early Adulthood
- The OutField: Hoosier Hullabaloo
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- Oakland County Health Division
- Art Moran Buick GMC
- Bath Remodeling
- Esquire Interiors
- Campus; Student and Alumni Groups
- Western Michigan University, Office of LBGT Student Services
- Florists/Floral Design
- Schroeter's Flowers
- Long Term Care
- LTC Advisors
- Massage Therapy
- Serenity Touch Massage
- Religious & Spiritual
- Praise Fellowship Christian Church
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Anti-Gay Company Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Q&A: Reba Talks 'Very Important' LGBT Rights, Her First Gay Wedding & Feeling 'Sad' For Closeted Country Stars
- Q&A: Scott Eastwood Endorses Father's Gay Marriage Mantra, Talks Sex Scenes ('I Was Turned On') & Mel Gibson's Advice
- Is GoFundMe The New Welfare For Anti-Gay Corporations?
- Josh Groban Q&A: His Queer Bear Fans, Failing The Ryan Gosling 'Gay Test' & Why He Worships RuPaul
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!