LGBT Mud 5k Brings In Over 650 Runners
Originally printed 7/10/2014 (Issue 2228 - Between The Lines News)
New York, NY Out-Fit Challenge recently thrived in bringing New Yorkers together in support of family equality. The sporting event featured over 15 military style obstacles which included various elements such as mud, water and ice throughout the course.
The event drew more than 650 participants who were ready and willing to get muddy for a good cause, including reality star and recording artist Sara Stokes. Sara Stokes is known for her roles in 2006's "YaDaDa Movie" and the 2002 ABC/MTV music reality series by P. Diddy, "Making the Band". The Michigan born songstress participated in the mud run to join the fight for LGBT family equality and took pictures with fans.
This year's event took place from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on June 21 at the Tuxedo Ridge Ski Center in Tuxedo, New York. Race waves began every 20 minutes. The LGBT sporting event is now officially sponsored by Jack'd, a top gay men's chat and dating app available for free on the App Store and Google Play, as well as a NYC Pride Partner for 2014. Other sponsors include Kind Healthy Snacks, Kellogg School of Management, Equality Florida, Miami Beach Gay Pride and NYC Pride. This year's New York event charity of choice was the Family Equality Council, which connects supports and represents the LGBT community across the US.
"Our success with Out-Fit Challenge this year surely surpassed our expectations," begins Founder & CEO of Out-Fit Challenge, Tory Fitzgerald. "We were able to accomplish our mission by uniting our community through fun and competitive means. It's amazing to watch people who don't know each other cheering and providing extreme encouragement to one another while completing the 5K course."
The sporting event featured obstacles such as the "Cherry Picker," "Is that Mud in Your Pants" and "Hello Sailor." Once participants reach the finish line they were then welcomed by a lively end of race after party. Out-Fit Challenge premiered with two very successful mud runs in Miami and New York in 2013. For 2014, they expanded their 5K cross-country trails to four cites chosen through a public online voting contest. The next cities on the list for Out-Fit Challenge include Reno, Nevada on September 20, 2014 followed by events in Boston, Massachusetts and San Francisco, California. Apart from putting on mud run sporting events, the organization aims to aid national and local charities that are making a significant difference in the lives of LGBT individuals across the United States such as the Family Equality Council.
For more information on Out-Fit Challenge or to get an LGBT run in Michigan, please visit http://out-fitchallenge.com/. For information on Sponsorship for the other events email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 877-841-7244.Out-Fit Challenge is designed by and for members and friends of the LGBT community who aspire to compete, make new connections and celebrate community via outdoor endurance sports. The company provides proceeds from every event to a national and local organization that strives to make a difference for LGBT individuals.
- Couple Behind Alabama Gay Marriage Case Grateful For Ruling
- Some California Judges With Ties To Boy Scouts Question Ban
- Indiana Legislature To Soon Take Up Religious Freedom Bill
- Transgender Teen's Death Stirs Action In US And Beyond
- Virginia Panel Rejects Adoption By Unmarried Gay Couples
- Russian Officials Deny Trans Impact Of Driving Ban
- New Thai Constitution Would Protect LGBT Rights
- Federal Judge Stays Alabama Gay Marriage Ruling For 2 Weeks
- Transgender Youth At High Risk For Negative Mental Health Outcomes
- Gay Marriage Ban Ends As Couples Wed Throughout Florida
- LGBT-Owned Businesses Get Diversity Boost
- Beyond Marriage, Challenges Ahead For Gay Rights Groups
- Study: Only 16 Percent Of Men Who Have Sex With Men Report Using Condoms 'Always'
- New Data Shows U.S. Benefiting From Same-Sex Marriage
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- National Minority AIDS Council
- Lisa J. Peterson, PLLC
- Event Planners
- Suburban Party Rental
- Furniture Refinishing
- Old World Refinishing, LTD
- Real Estate/Agent
- Red Door Realty
- Recreational Vehicles
- General RV Center
- Religious & Spiritual
- Gods Agape Love put Into Practice
- Chess Roofing & Siding
- Social/Community Organizations
- Al Gamea
- Animal ER Center
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Q&A: Kathy Griffin Reveals Death-Related Talk With Joan Rivers, Plans To Get Fired From 'Fashion Police' & Cher's Health
- Missing Person Found In Metro Detroit
- EXCLUSIVE! Gwen Stefani On Why She Paints Her Boys' Nails, Meeting Gays 'Late In Life' & Her (Lack Of) Girl Crushes
- Q&A: Harvey Fierstein Opens Up On The Success Of 'Kinky Boots,' His 'Legendary Disaster' & 'Insulting' Double Standards
- Marriage Of 300 Same-Sex Couples Ruled Valid In Michigan
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!