Court Sides With Ex-partner Of Girl's Birth Mother
By LYNNE TUOHY
Originally printed 7/10/2014 (Issue 2228 - Between The Lines News)
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - The New Hampshire Supreme Court ruled July 2 that the ex-partner of a 12-year-old's girl's mother has made her case to be considered a parent under the law.
The unanimous ruling makes New Hampshire the fourth state in the country to extend similar parental protections to same-sex parents, including a parent with no biological tie to the child.
The court ruled that the Uniform Parentage Act "is based on a person's conduct, not a biological connection."
The case pitted Madelyn B.'s birth mother, Melissa, against her former partner, Susan. Because it's a custody case, no last names were used.
The pair split up when Madelyn was 6 but continued to co-parent until 2013, when Melissa cut off the relationship and moved to terminate Susan's guardianship. Melissa also began proceedings to have her new husband adopt Madelyn.
Madelyn was born in 2002, before the state adopted civil unions and later legalized gay marriage.
The court ordered the family court in Derry to schedule a "prompt" hearing to set up Susan's re-acquaintance with the daughter she hasn't seen since March of 2013.
"It's a terrific opinion," said Susan's lawyer, Janson Wu, a senior staff attorney with Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders (GLAD.) "It recognizes that a child has two parents regardless of their sexual orientation of the circumstance of the child's birth."
Wu said Susan did not want to comment.
Attorney Joshua Gordon, who represents Melissa, said his client has no avenue of appeal.
"The state Supreme Court is the end of the line for her," Gordon said. He predicts the ruling will affect only a small number of couples, because gay marriage has been legal in New Hampshire since 2010.
"The genesis of this situation was two women who were trying to do in 2002 what we consider commonplace today," Gordon said. "As a matter of precedent, it's pretty narrow."
The court noted that Susan's presence in Madelyn's life had been constant before Melissa moved to end it.
The ruling notes the couple searched for a sperm donor that reflected Susan's Irish heritage, sent out birth announcements naming them both as parents, obtained legal guardianship for Susan in 2002 and jointly made decisions about Madelyn's health care, religion and education. Melissa is known to Madelyn as "Mommy" and Susan as "Momma."
The family court in April 2013 suspended guardianship at Melissa's request and barred Susan from intervening in the adoption proceedings. The Supreme Court vacated the family judge's orders and sent the case back for a new hearing.
"For unwed, same-sex parents, it's a whole new world where courts in New Hampshire finally allow both parents to be able to protect their relationship with their child," Wu said.
- Family And Medical Leave Act Updates Definition Of Spouse
- San Francisco Doctors Report Two Hepatitis C Infections Among PrEP Users
- No Veto From Arkansas Gov. On Bill Banning LGBT Discrimination Laws
- Despite Ban, First Same-Sex Couple Marries In Texas
- Kate Brown Sworn In As Oregon Governor; Predecessor Resigns
- Singer Lesley Gore Succumbs To Cancer
- Some Alabama Counties Refusing Marriage Licenses To Gay Couples
- Couples Ask Arkansas Court To Allow Gay Marriages To Resume
- Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses
- Looming Dilemma For Upcoming Historic Marriage Case
- Is This The Beginning Of The End For Conversion Therapy?
- Justice Thomas Objects To Court's Signal On Gay Marriage
- Bias Complaints At Daimler Portland Plant Settled For $2.4M
- Some California Judges With Ties To Boy Scouts Question Ban
- Transgender Teen's Death Stirs Action In US And Beyond
- Virginia Panel Rejects Adoption By Unmarried Gay Couples
- Senate Panel Quickly Advances Religious Freedom Bill
- Macomb Bike & Fitness
- Detroit Together Men's Chorus
- Families and Parents
- Coalition for Adoption Rights Equality, Inc. (CARE)
- Rainbow Families Great Lakes (RFGL)
- Grinstein Jewelry
- National Organizations
- Equality Forum
- Pet Adoption
- Tail Waggers 1990
- Pet Boarding
- Wag'n Tails Pet Resort
- Social/Community Organizations
- Perceptions Saginaw Valley
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- EXCLUSIVE! Ricky Martin Talks Love Life ('I'm Enjoying Being Single'), Shirtless Selfies, Swoon-Worthy Texts & How He'd React To Having Gay Sons
- Controversial Musician Cameron Carpenter: Don't Call Me The 'Flamboyant Organist'
- Q&A: John Waters On Kink Freaks, James Franco, His Collection Of A**hole Art & Why He May Retire From Film
- Closet, Hollywood Gossip Collide In Riverwalk Theatre Production
- Attention Michigan LGBT Career Seekers
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
Dancing, music, delicious food and a party atmosphere will greet the hundreds of people coming out to the 2015 Ultimate LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo March 21.View More Marriage
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!