BTL Endorsed: Jon Hoadley, State Rep 60th District
Originally printed 7/10/2014 (Issue 2228 - Between The Lines News)
As the President of Badlands Strategies, a public affairs strategy firm specializing in coalition management, Hoadley is no stranger to making plans and implementing them. He comes from a family of teachers and wants to see education support grow in Michigan. He has worked with labor and women's rights groups and was the Executive Director of National Stonewall Democrats.
"We are working hard so that folks understand that we are a campaign that invests in people, so that big corps don't play by a separate set of rules, where Michigan is a leader in environmental and SJ rules," Hoadley said.
The Primary race is neck-in-neck, Hoadley said. Many West Michigan folks are undecided, but Hoadley believes that the voices and support from family, friends and volunteers really helps the undecided understand that Hoadley is running for a Michigan that invests in people.
Hoadley says he is getting a lot of support in the neighborhoods, but he and his campaign are hoping that folks who care a lot about social justice, education and working families will turn out.
"Educators trust me to get the job done. I've been endorsed by middle class workers; they're really backing the campaign," Hoadley said. "I'm proud that we're racking up local support with progressive organizations."
Hoadley on the Issues: With his extensive education background, it's no shock that Hoadley is focusing on increasing education funding and strengthening the education system. Once in the MI House, Hoadley will work on adding an LGBT clause to the Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act, repealing the 2014 "Rape Insurance" bill and ensuring that Michigan stays welcoming to everyone by passing marriage equality. He wants to see that corporations are held accountable for their environmental impact and wants to provide benefits to those companies that hew to a more sustainable bottom line. Hoadley will work hard to protect the state's environment from any further harm.
Hoadley has been endorsed by the Michigan Education Association, Michigan Nurses Association, Western Michigan College Democrats, Democracy for America, Kalamazoo Alliance for Equality, Equality Michigan, Michigan Federation of College Democrats, Michigan Regional Council of Carpenters and Millwrights and the Victory Fund. Hoadley has been endorsed by many community members, among that list: Cherie Seitz, Kalamazoo Township Trustee Mark Miller, Reverand Dr. Mary Beth Sarhatt, Kalamazoo City Commissioner Stephanie Moore, Pastor Strick Strickland and Tracy Hall.
Jon Hoadley's district
- Love is Patient, Love is Kind: Local Couple Details Path to Altar
- JCC Book Fair Welcomes Jewish Gay Author
- 3 Michigan Cities Score Perfect 100 Rating in LGBT Inclusion Report
- Conversation On Bullying Empowers Students and Parents
- Freedom House Seeks Help for LGBT Refugees
- John Allen Paves Way for Brighter Future for LGBTQ Youth
- Detroit Police Officer Dani Woods Recipient of Equality Michigan Award
- Oakland County Clerk Lisa Brown Celebrates Same-Sex Marriages
- State Board: Lawyer with Anti-Gay Rants Committed Misconduct
- Holly Lanes Hosting LGBT and Friends Night to Connect Around Equality
- Community Demands Justice for LGBTQ Prisoners
- Village of Holly Votes 6-1 Against Human Rights Ordinance
- Attorney Faces LGBTQ Discrimination
- Progressive Groups Join Forces to Win Big in Election 2016
- Federal Law Protects Transgender People at Homeless Shelters
- LGBTQ Youth Need Inclusive Sex Education
- Urge Michigan Attorney General to Withdraw from Federal Lawsuit
- Anti-LGBTQ Smear Campaign Targets Eaton County Commissioner
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- Matrix Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program
- Unified - HIV Health and Beyond
- Armene Kaye, Esq.
- BMW of Rochester Hills
- Charter Yachts
- Infinity & Ovation Yacht Charters
- Florists/Floral Design
- Ashley's Flowers
- Religious & Spiritual
- Community of Christ the Good Shepherd
- Ruth's Chris Steak House
- Social/Community Organizations
- Michigan Roundtable for Diversity and Inclusion
- Oakland Veterinary Referral Services
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Hillary Clinton's Commitment to LGBT Equality Stronger Than Ever
- 'Campfire' Opens at The Ringwald Theatre
- McCrory, Cooper Blast Each other on LGBT Law in Debate
- Unleashing Garrett Clayton: Actor on Studying Porn, Keeping His Sexuality Private & How His Latest Movie's Greatest Critic Brent Corrigan 'Let the Movie Get Made'
- Idina Menzel on Working Toward LGBT Icon Status, a Lesbian Elsa & Angry Gays Who Oppose Her 'Beaches' Remake
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
As an openly gay man, Fred Hoffman said, "I really didn't know if there would be an issue." And while he wasn't waving rainbow flags when he was recruited by Chrysler in 1988, he was told being gay wasn't a problem.View More Automotive
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!