Garnet Lewis, 32nd Senate District
Originally printed 7/10/2014 (Issue 2228 - Between The Lines News)
Over the course of her career Lewis served on the Saginaw Commission on Aging's meals on Wheels, was a Founding organizer of the Saginaw Area Democratic Club, Chaired the Saginaw County Democratic Party, was the Vice-Chair of the 4th Congressional District Democrats, Director for the Joint Legislative Campaign in the Michigan Democratic Party from 2011-2012 and served on the Board of Michigan Equality.
In this last leg of campaigning before the Primary, Lewis has gotten her family on board and they, along with many volunteer members from her district, are working hard at mail programs, absentee voters program and fundraising. All the elements, according to Lewis, that one needs for a campaign. Lewis is a long distance runner and equated the campaign trail to training for a marathon. "You build up the mileage, and at this point you're ready for the run. That's exactly how I feel."
Along with her crew of volunteers, Lewis has hired four interns to work tirelessly. On the day BTL spoke with Lewis, the team had knocked on 10 thousand doors.
"We're working it hard, connecting with the voters," Lewis said. Her family has come out in support, including three nephews who have come up for the summer to aid Lewis. "We have a good crew and a good representation of young people, which I find energizing because they have all kinds of enthusiasm. They stay up all night," Lewis laughed. "My family keeps me grounded in reality."
Lewis and Important Issues: Two of the major concerns for Lewis are economic improvement and educational funding which she says go hand in hand; there can be no business development and growth without furthering education. She wants to fix up the roads and strengthen the infrastructure of Michigan's small businesses. "Our roads suck," Lewis said. Biting the bullet and investing in programs that mean the most to the state are right at the front of her political view. Lewis wants Michigan to be known for its education platforms rather than the incarceration rates.
"Without an education you cannot possibly have the wherewithal to understand what it means to establish a young business, let alone maintain one," Lewis stated.
Among a list of many, some of the most notable endorsements Lewis has received come from Representattive Terry Brown, Gretchen Driskell, Charles Brunner, Lewis Dodak, Cheryl Hadsall, Gloria A. Fulsher and Eric Welsby. Lewis has also been endorsed by Between The Lines and the Victory Fund.
Garnet Lewis' district 32
- Michigan's SCOTUS Courtside Campers
- Video: James Toy reflects on Marriage Equality Hearings
- State Senate Committee Passes Adoption Discrimination Bills
- State Capitol Candlelight Vigil Tonight Supporting Marriage Equality
- GOP Senate Source: MiRFRA Will Have Hearing Tuesday April 28, No Vote Expected
- Oakland University To Offer Gender Studies Minor
- Michigan Womyn's Fest Says 2015 Is Last Year
- The Road After SCOTUS Decision
- Advocates And Academics Advance Equality At Inaugural 'Research To Action' Conference
- National Organizations Pull Support From Michfest Petition
- Obituary: Marvin Marks
- New Case Study to Michigan Lawmakers: 'Don't Repeat The Mistakes Of Indiana'
- Marriage Equality March Downtown Flint
- Emily Dievendorf Announces Campaign For Lansing City Council
- Dieseltec Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Controversial Anti-LGBT Mechanic Has Checkered Past
- Pro-Gay Protestors at Dieseltec - GALLERY
- Supporters of DieselTec - GALLERY
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- Higher Ground
- Williams Audi
- Community Centers
- Jim Toy Community Center
- Transcendence Behavioral Health
- Birmingham Maple Clinic
- Florists/Floral Design
- Distinctive Design by Trish
- Two Bags & A Mower
- Religious & Spiritual
- Dignity Detroit
- Sweet Lorraine's Cafe & Bar
- Wedding Gowns
- B. Ella Bridal
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Anti-Gay Company Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Q&A: Reba Talks 'Very Important' LGBT Rights, Her First Gay Wedding & Feeling 'Sad' For Closeted Country Stars
- Q&A: Scott Eastwood Endorses Father's Gay Marriage Mantra, Talks Sex Scenes ('I Was Turned On') & Mel Gibson's Advice
- Is GoFundMe The New Welfare For Anti-Gay Corporations?
- Josh Groban Q&A: His Queer Bear Fans, Failing The Ryan Gosling 'Gay Test' & Why He Worships RuPaul
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!