Arts & Entertainment
Art by Damien Salas
California To Recognize All Same-Sex Marriages
Originally printed 7/9/2014 (Issue 2226 - Between The Lines News)
SACRAMENTO, CA - Governor Jerry Brow has signed legislation replacing the language in California state law that defines marriage as "between a man and a woman."
The new order will take effect Jan. 1, 2015, reflecting the legality of same-sex marriage removing limits on recognizing same-sex marriages performed out of the state. SB1306 will also replace references to husband and wife with the word spouse in the family code.
"This legislation removes outdated and biased language from state codes and recognizes all married spouses equally, regardless of their gender," Leno said Monday about securing Brown's signature on the bill.
State Sen. Mark Leno (D-San Francisco) authored the bill to redefine marriage. Proposition 8, California's constitutional amendment, aimed at defining marriage as between one man and one woman, passed the state ballot initiative in 2008. But Prop 8 was subject to lengthy court battles and ultimately ruled unconstitutional by a 2013 Supreme Court Decision. Leno says his bill recognizes all married couples equally.
Equality California co-sponsored Leno's Bill and the group's executive director echoed the importance of erasing "discrimination from the books."
- Florida Federal Judge Rules For Same-Sex Marriage
- TLC Star Says Transgender People Are Child Predators
- Boy Killed By Mother For Playing With Dolls
- SCOTUS Blocks Virginia Same-Sex Marriages
- Open Letter On Michael Brown #HandsUpDon'tShoot
- Will & Grace Featured In The Smithsonian Collection
- Cyber Bullying Higher For LGBT Youth
- N.J. School Allows Trans Girl To Attend As Herself
- Oregon Medicaid To Cover Gender Reassignment Surgery
- Lambda Legal Sues On Behalf Of Veteran Same-Sex Spouses
- Uzo Aduba Wins Emmy For Crazy Eyes
- Memorial Service Held for Trans Woman Killed In Baltimore
- Bryan Fisher Blames Lesbian Attorney For Perry's Indictment
- 13-Year-Old Trans Girl Banned From School
- Welcoming First Trans Man To U.S. House of Reps
- Facebook Donated $10k To Attorney General Appealing Marriage Equality In Utah
- Reagan Aide Says Disney Has Gay Agenda
- Texas Values President Loses Wife
- California Considers Gender Neutral Birth Certificate Language
- Texas Legislators Link Incest And Pedophilia To Same-Sex Marriage
- American Bar Association Endorses LGBT NonDiscrim Protections
- Highlights Of Love And Commitment From Aug. 5 Rally In Ohio
- Energy Rises In Cincinnati Streets Just Before 6th Circuit Hearing