Arts & Entertainment
Art by Damien Salas
California To Recognize All Same-Sex Marriages
Originally printed 7/9/2014 (Issue 2226 - Between The Lines News)
SACRAMENTO, CA - Governor Jerry Brow has signed legislation replacing the language in California state law that defines marriage as "between a man and a woman."
The new order will take effect Jan. 1, 2015, reflecting the legality of same-sex marriage removing limits on recognizing same-sex marriages performed out of the state. SB1306 will also replace references to husband and wife with the word spouse in the family code.
"This legislation removes outdated and biased language from state codes and recognizes all married spouses equally, regardless of their gender," Leno said Monday about securing Brown's signature on the bill.
State Sen. Mark Leno (D-San Francisco) authored the bill to redefine marriage. Proposition 8, California's constitutional amendment, aimed at defining marriage as between one man and one woman, passed the state ballot initiative in 2008. But Prop 8 was subject to lengthy court battles and ultimately ruled unconstitutional by a 2013 Supreme Court Decision. Leno says his bill recognizes all married couples equally.
Equality California co-sponsored Leno's Bill and the group's executive director echoed the importance of erasing "discrimination from the books."
- Study: PrEP, Taken Regularly, 100 Percent Effective
- News You Should Know July 23, 2014
- Feds Call On States To Revamp HIV Criminal Laws
- Obama Signs LGBT Workplace Non-Discrimination Executive Order
- News You Should Know July 21, 2014
- Ruling Allows Same-Sex Marriages for Florida Keys
- First Mississippi Mayor Announces Support Of Marriage Equality
- News You Should Know July 17, 2014
- New Report Exposes Deceptive Religious Right Strategy Targeting LGBT Equality
- Utah Will Appeal Gay Marriage Ruling To High Court
- Comic Legend Archie Andrews Takes Bullet For Gay Best Friend
- 'Fox & Friends' Fails To Showcase American's Horror At Gender-Neutral Bathrooms
- Transgender Actress Laverne Cox Makes History
- HIV Infection Returns To 'Cured' Child