Arts & Entertainment
Art by Damien Salas
California To Recognize All Same-Sex Marriages
Originally printed 7/9/2014 (Issue 2226 - Between The Lines News)
SACRAMENTO, CA - Governor Jerry Brow has signed legislation replacing the language in California state law that defines marriage as "between a man and a woman."
The new order will take effect Jan. 1, 2015, reflecting the legality of same-sex marriage removing limits on recognizing same-sex marriages performed out of the state. SB1306 will also replace references to husband and wife with the word spouse in the family code.
"This legislation removes outdated and biased language from state codes and recognizes all married spouses equally, regardless of their gender," Leno said Monday about securing Brown's signature on the bill.
State Sen. Mark Leno (D-San Francisco) authored the bill to redefine marriage. Proposition 8, California's constitutional amendment, aimed at defining marriage as between one man and one woman, passed the state ballot initiative in 2008. But Prop 8 was subject to lengthy court battles and ultimately ruled unconstitutional by a 2013 Supreme Court Decision. Leno says his bill recognizes all married couples equally.
Equality California co-sponsored Leno's Bill and the group's executive director echoed the importance of erasing "discrimination from the books."
- California Bans 'Gay Panic' Defense
- Utah Plaintiffs Ask SCOTUS To Review Case
- First-Of-Its-Kind LGBT Jewish Curriculum
- EqualityMaine Advances Trans Healthcare Coverage
- Florida Supreme Court Asked To Rule On Same-Sex Marriage
- Womyn Born Womyn House Staffer Edits Trans Identity Wikipedia Pages
- 7th Circuit Court Of Appeals Hears Marriage Equality Cases
- When A Lesbian Becomes A Man
- TLC Star Says Transgender People Are Child Predators
- Florida Federal Judge Rules For Same-Sex Marriage
- Landmark Gay Bookstore In Philly To Reopen
- Couple Wins Wedding Venue Dispute
- Virginia Family Foundation Protests Gay Marriage With Fake Fast
- Boy Killed By Mother For Playing With Dolls
- SCOTUS Blocks Virginia Same-Sex Marriages
- Open Letter On Michael Brown #HandsUpDon'tShoot
- Will & Grace Featured In The Smithsonian Collection
- Cyber Bullying Higher For LGBT Youth
- Oregon Medicaid To Cover Gender Reassignment Surgery
- Bryan Fisher Blames Lesbian Attorney For Perry's Indictment
- Welcoming First Trans Man To U.S. House of Reps
- Facebook Donated $10k To Attorney General Appealing Marriage Equality In Utah