Hobby Lobby Backlash
People Sound Off Online
By BTL Staff
Originally printed 7/8/2014 (Issue 2226 - Between The Lines News)
The June 30 U.S. Supreme Court ruling in the "Hobby Lobby" case has resulted in controversy. The 5 to 4 decision found that commercial employers may have religious exemptions from covering contraception in company health insurance plans.
Many sounded off on Facebook about the case:
"This isn't a war on women it, it is about Christian rights, men go buy their protection, insurance does not pay for it, women can do the very same thing!"
"We the people are not LAWYERS why should WE read between the LINES what's right is RIGHT and what's WRONG is WRONG and this is all WRONG the JUDGES that settle this are GOD WHAT DO YOU THINK!"
"What is the big deal! If a men want to have sex 24/7 why can't women protect themselves from getting pregnant? Why are companies and government getting into our private lives? Leave us women alone. If the good old boys want their sex toys let us have ours."
"What other procedures will a corporation deem not accommodating its religious/moral belief system? Will corporations in the future look to deny hiring employees whose actions, beliefs, don't match a corporate's 'religious beliefs?"
The Hobby Lobby Facebook page has been innundated with varying views, including:
"You never actually lost your religious freedom. You've deprived your employees of a benefit that you don't have to administer yourselves, and that they can get from any one of your competitors. Your beliefs were never threatened, just your ability to impose those beliefs on your employees to their detriment. Here's wishing you reap the whirlwind of your misguided views."
"You have my full support Hobby Lobby. I loved your store before but now you will be my primary Hobby store. Keep the faith."
"Hobby Lobby, I have two daughters with health conditions that require them to take specific forms of birth control. You are not physicians. You are not a church. You have no business dictating what medications AND doctor's appointments women should have access to. I will never again shop at a business that presumes that it's 'corporate' religion is more important than a woman's right to access her healthcare. While my daughters are not Hobby Lobby employees, that Supreme Court ruling applies to any 'closely held' corporation and affects all women. I have lost all respect for you, Hobby Lobby and will never support your quest to force your religious beliefs on your employees and through your lawsuit, all American women."
"Why is Hobby Lobby blocking the free speech of people they disagree with on their FB page. I've had two friends now unable to post on this site. Bad enough HL wants to take away medical choices from women, impose their brand of so-called 'christianity,' NOW they want to prohibit free speech. Disgusting!"
"Hobby Lobby, I will not buy any of your products again. Please be aware that you have lost another customer."Have you let your voice be heard on the decision?
- Legislators Call For Legal Protections For LGBT Michiganders
- Michigan's SCOTUS Courtside Campers
- Video: James Toy reflects on Marriage Equality Hearings
- State Senate Committee Passes Adoption Discrimination Bills
- State Capitol Candlelight Vigil Tonight Supporting Marriage Equality
- GOP Senate Source: MiRFRA Will Have Hearing Tuesday April 28, No Vote Expected
- Oakland University To Offer Gender Studies Minor
- Michigan Womyn's Fest Says 2015 Is Last Year
- The Road After SCOTUS Decision
- Advocates And Academics Advance Equality At Inaugural 'Research To Action' Conference
- National Organizations Pull Support From Michfest Petition
- Obituary: Marvin Marks
- New Case Study to Michigan Lawmakers: 'Don't Repeat The Mistakes Of Indiana'
- Marriage Equality March Downtown Flint
- Emily Dievendorf Announces Campaign For Lansing City Council
- Dieseltec Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Controversial Anti-LGBT Mechanic Has Checkered Past
- Pro-Gay Protestors at Dieseltec - GALLERY
- Supporters of DieselTec - GALLERY
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- National Minority AIDS Council
- Community Health Outreach Workers
- Cocktails & Dreams
- Bridal Gowns
- Bride & Joy
- Foundations and Funders
- Funding Exchange/OUT Fund for Lesbian & Gay Liberation
- The HOPE Fund
- Kitchen & Bath
- Kitchen Concepts
- Pet Day Care
- Canine Country Club
- Professional Organizations
- Ties Like Me
- Religious & Spiritual
- Renaissance Unity Spiritual Center
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Anti-Gay Company Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Q&A: Reba Talks 'Very Important' LGBT Rights, Her First Gay Wedding & Feeling 'Sad' For Closeted Country Stars
- Q&A: Scott Eastwood Endorses Father's Gay Marriage Mantra, Talks Sex Scenes ('I Was Turned On') & Mel Gibson's Advice
- Is GoFundMe The New Welfare For Anti-Gay Corporations?
- Josh Groban Q&A: His Queer Bear Fans, Failing The Ryan Gosling 'Gay Test' & Why He Worships RuPaul
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!