Hobby Lobby Backlash
People Sound Off Online
By BTL Staff
Originally printed 7/8/2014 (Issue 2226 - Between The Lines News)
The June 30 U.S. Supreme Court ruling in the "Hobby Lobby" case has resulted in controversy. The 5 to 4 decision found that commercial employers may have religious exemptions from covering contraception in company health insurance plans.
Many sounded off on Facebook about the case:
"This isn't a war on women it, it is about Christian rights, men go buy their protection, insurance does not pay for it, women can do the very same thing!"
"We the people are not LAWYERS why should WE read between the LINES what's right is RIGHT and what's WRONG is WRONG and this is all WRONG the JUDGES that settle this are GOD WHAT DO YOU THINK!"
"What is the big deal! If a men want to have sex 24/7 why can't women protect themselves from getting pregnant? Why are companies and government getting into our private lives? Leave us women alone. If the good old boys want their sex toys let us have ours."
"What other procedures will a corporation deem not accommodating its religious/moral belief system? Will corporations in the future look to deny hiring employees whose actions, beliefs, don't match a corporate's 'religious beliefs?"
The Hobby Lobby Facebook page has been innundated with varying views, including:
"You never actually lost your religious freedom. You've deprived your employees of a benefit that you don't have to administer yourselves, and that they can get from any one of your competitors. Your beliefs were never threatened, just your ability to impose those beliefs on your employees to their detriment. Here's wishing you reap the whirlwind of your misguided views."
"You have my full support Hobby Lobby. I loved your store before but now you will be my primary Hobby store. Keep the faith."
"Hobby Lobby, I have two daughters with health conditions that require them to take specific forms of birth control. You are not physicians. You are not a church. You have no business dictating what medications AND doctor's appointments women should have access to. I will never again shop at a business that presumes that it's 'corporate' religion is more important than a woman's right to access her healthcare. While my daughters are not Hobby Lobby employees, that Supreme Court ruling applies to any 'closely held' corporation and affects all women. I have lost all respect for you, Hobby Lobby and will never support your quest to force your religious beliefs on your employees and through your lawsuit, all American women."
"Why is Hobby Lobby blocking the free speech of people they disagree with on their FB page. I've had two friends now unable to post on this site. Bad enough HL wants to take away medical choices from women, impose their brand of so-called 'christianity,' NOW they want to prohibit free speech. Disgusting!"
"Hobby Lobby, I will not buy any of your products again. Please be aware that you have lost another customer."Have you let your voice be heard on the decision?
- Same-Sex Marriage Goes To The Supreme Court
- U.S. Syphilis Rates Increased By 10 Percent In 2013
- Controversy Over UMS Award To Russian Orchestra
- Equality Michigan Accepting Applications For Internships
- Ferndale Pride Seeks Sponsors And Vendors
- Attention Michigan LGBT Career Seekers
- Filmmaker To Speak On LGBT, Black Intersectionality
- Warren To Speak At Upcoming ELCRA Panel
- Become A Vendor At LGBT Wedding Expo
- SCOTUS To Hear Same-Sex Marriage Cases In Historic Decision
- Marriage Of 300 Same-Sex Couples Ruled Valid In Michigan
- Fostering Children Only Temporary Bandage To Same-Sex Adoption Restrictions In Michigan
- Lesbian Fights For Custody Rights Of Children
- From Selma To Detroit And The Importance Of Intersectionality
- Local Jewish Author Highlights Dangers Of Police Discrimination
- PrairieSide Suites
- Animal Shelter
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
- Campus; Student and Alumni Groups
- Western Michigan University, Office of LBGT Student Services
- Carpeting & Rugs
- J & R Flooring
- Funeral Services
- Sullivan & Son Funeral Directors
- Opera Company
- Michigan Opera Theatre
- Real Estate/Agent
- Shoreline Realtors
- Religious & Spiritual
- Community of Christ the Good Shepherd
- Tax Planning/Preparation
- Ameritax Plus
- Meadow Brook Theatre
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Q&A: Kathy Griffin Reveals Death-Related Talk With Joan Rivers, Plans To Get Fired From 'Fashion Police' & Cher's Health
- Missing Person Found In Metro Detroit
- Exclusive! 'Looking' Star Russell Tovey On Sex Scenes, His Famous Butt & That Rimming Cake
- EXCLUSIVE! Gwen Stefani On Why She Paints Her Boys' Nails, Meeting Gays 'Late In Life' & Her (Lack Of) Girl Crushes
- Q&A: Harvey Fierstein Opens Up On The Success Of 'Kinky Boots,' His 'Legendary Disaster' & 'Insulting' Double Standards
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!