Hobby Lobby Backlash
People Sound Off Online
By BTL Staff
Originally printed 7/8/2014 (Issue 2226 - Between The Lines News)
The June 30 U.S. Supreme Court ruling in the "Hobby Lobby" case has resulted in controversy. The 5 to 4 decision found that commercial employers may have religious exemptions from covering contraception in company health insurance plans.
Many sounded off on Facebook about the case:
"This isn't a war on women it, it is about Christian rights, men go buy their protection, insurance does not pay for it, women can do the very same thing!"
"We the people are not LAWYERS why should WE read between the LINES what's right is RIGHT and what's WRONG is WRONG and this is all WRONG the JUDGES that settle this are GOD WHAT DO YOU THINK!"
"What is the big deal! If a men want to have sex 24/7 why can't women protect themselves from getting pregnant? Why are companies and government getting into our private lives? Leave us women alone. If the good old boys want their sex toys let us have ours."
"What other procedures will a corporation deem not accommodating its religious/moral belief system? Will corporations in the future look to deny hiring employees whose actions, beliefs, don't match a corporate's 'religious beliefs?"
The Hobby Lobby Facebook page has been innundated with varying views, including:
"You never actually lost your religious freedom. You've deprived your employees of a benefit that you don't have to administer yourselves, and that they can get from any one of your competitors. Your beliefs were never threatened, just your ability to impose those beliefs on your employees to their detriment. Here's wishing you reap the whirlwind of your misguided views."
"You have my full support Hobby Lobby. I loved your store before but now you will be my primary Hobby store. Keep the faith."
"Hobby Lobby, I have two daughters with health conditions that require them to take specific forms of birth control. You are not physicians. You are not a church. You have no business dictating what medications AND doctor's appointments women should have access to. I will never again shop at a business that presumes that it's 'corporate' religion is more important than a woman's right to access her healthcare. While my daughters are not Hobby Lobby employees, that Supreme Court ruling applies to any 'closely held' corporation and affects all women. I have lost all respect for you, Hobby Lobby and will never support your quest to force your religious beliefs on your employees and through your lawsuit, all American women."
"Why is Hobby Lobby blocking the free speech of people they disagree with on their FB page. I've had two friends now unable to post on this site. Bad enough HL wants to take away medical choices from women, impose their brand of so-called 'christianity,' NOW they want to prohibit free speech. Disgusting!"
"Hobby Lobby, I will not buy any of your products again. Please be aware that you have lost another customer."Have you let your voice be heard on the decision?
- Impact On The Kids, Totten Talks Harms Of Same-Sex Adoption Ban
- Races To Watch On Election Night
- Pastors Declare Challenge To Civil Rights For Michigan LGBT Community
- State House Blocks HIV And Other Reproductive Health Websites From Staff
- Revealing Bigotry: Taking On Gary Glenn
- MOASH Awarded Federal Funding To Improve Outcomes For LGBT Youth In Michigan
- Marriage Equality: 'It's Coming' Say LGBT Advocates
- Richard Bernstein: The Face Of Blind Justice
- Dave Agema: Arab Fighter Pilots Are 'Camel Jockeys'
- Ally vs. Extremist: McKenzie Seeks 11th District Win
- WMU To Award LGBT Alumna At Homecoming Event
- Ann Arbor Adopts Updated Non-Discrimination Ordinance
- Upcoming Mental Health Training Is Joined By Sex Therapist
- Co-Founder Awards Substantial Gift To Equality Michigan
- Michigan Roundtable To Honor Michigan Social Justice Advocates
- LGBT Jewelry Collection Comes To Tapper's
- Mark Totten Seeks Attorney General Seat, Speaks On Schuette
- MSHDA Under Investigation, Snyder Fundraiser Raises Questions
- Launch Of The 2014 Michigan Voter Guide
- Air Conditioning/Heating
- C&C Heating & Air Conditioning
- Campus; Student and Alumni Groups
- Alma College Pride, Center for Student Development, Alma LGB Students
- Birmingham Door L.L.C.
- Moving Companies
- Two Men And A Truck
- Religious & Spiritual
- Jewish Gay Network
- Michigan International Gay Rodeo Association (MIGRA)
- Stagecrafters Baldwin Theatre
- Senate Theater
- Visitors Bureau
- Ypsilanti Area Convention & Visitors Bureau
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Q&A: Annie Lennox On Her Legacy, Why Beyonce Is 'Feminist Lite'
- Q&A: Getting To The Core Of Nick Jonas: Abs, Album & That Gay Striptease 'They Made Me Do'
- Q&A: Lisa Kudrow On Judging 'Drag Race' (As Valerie Cherish!) & Gays Being Biologically 'Superhuman'
- GOP Hopeful Wants 'Christians' Fleeing MI If Gays Get Civil Rights
- Creep of the Week: Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
MICHIGAN - A recent study by Affirmations Community Center and the Kalamazoo Gay and Lesbian Resource Center, funded by the Michigan Department of Community Health (MDCH), facilitated eight focus groups with LGBT-identified individuals that helps shed light on tobacco use within the LGBT community.View More Health and Wellness
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!