From left candidates Rudy Serra (State Rep 27th District), Jon Hoadley(State Rep 60th District), Jeremy Moss (State Rep 35th District), and Garnet Lewis (State Senate 32nd District).
MI Aug. 5 Primary Could See Four Openly Gay Candidates Advance
Make Sure To Get Out And Vote (Are You Registered?)
Originally printed 7/3/2014 (Issue 2226 - Between The Lines News)
Monday, July 7 is the last day to register to vote in the August 5 primary. This year all 83 counties will hold elections on that day so be sure you are registered and know where to vote by checking on any of the resource links below.
For BTL readers this primary season is especially exciting. We have four candidates who are openly gay and endorsed by BTL.
Garnet Lewis could be the first lesbian State Senator. She is running in the 32nd District which includes Saginaw, Zilwaukee, Tittabawassee Township, Frankenmuth and Swartz Creek. Check out the campaign website
Jon Hoadley is running for State Representative in the 60th District which includes Kalamazoo and Kalamazoo Township. Check out the campaign website
Jeremy Moss is running for State Representative in the 35th District which includes Southfield and Lathrup Village. Check out the campaign website
Rudy Serra is running for State Representative for the 27th District which is made up of several South Oakland County communities including Hazel Park, Ferndale and Berkley. Check out the campaign website
To register to vote, download and fill out this form from the Secretary of State's website.
You can also get a copy at your local Secretary of State branch located here
Monday, July 7 Last day to register for Aug. 5 Primary Election
Tuesday, Aug. 5 Primary Election
Monday, Oct. 6 Last day to register for November 4 General Election
Tuesday, Nov. 4 General Election
BTL Strongly Endorses the following candidates this fall:
Mark Schauer for Michigan Governor
Mark Totten for Michigan Attorney General
Gary Peters for U.S. Senate
Learn more about these and other candidates at:
The Michigan Democratic Party
Michigan Republican Party
Michigan Democratic LGBT & Allies Caucus
- Marriage Equality: 'It's Coming' Say LGBT Advocates
- Michigan For Marriage Meets In Ferndale
- Dave Agema: Arab Fighter Pilots Are
- Richard Bernstein: The Face Of Blind Justice
- MOASH Awarded Federal Funding To Improve Outcomes For LGBT Youth In Michigan
- Ally vs. Extremist: McKenzie Seeks 11th District Win
- WMU To Award LGBT Alumna At Homecoming Event
- Launch Of The 2014 Michigan Voter Guide
- Ann Arbor Adopts Updated Non-Discrimination Ordinance
- Upcoming Mental Health Training Is Joined By Sex Therapist
- Co-Founder Awards Substantial Gift To Equality Michigan
- Michigan Roundtable To Honor Michigan Social Justice Advocates
- LGBT Jewelry Collection Comes To Tapper's
- Pastors Declare Challenge To Civil Rights For Michigan LGBT Community
- Mark Totten Seeks Attorney General Seat, Speaks On Schuette
- MSHDA Under Investigation, Snyder Fundraiser Raises Questions
- ACLU Dinner Honors Local Heroes
- Masquerave At ARTLABJ And Saginaw
- Coming Out With Self and With Michigan
- Michigan For Marriage Community Conversation
- A Solid LGBT Ally In Peters
- Gary Peters Releases Statement On SCOTUS Decision
- Marriage 'Decision Day' Gatherings To Be Held Throughout State
- MGM Grand Detroit
- Detroit Together Men's Chorus
- Demi C. Kazanis DDS Family & Cosmetic Dentistry
- Funeral Services
- Sullivan & Son Funeral Directors
- Insurance Exchange
- Legal Organizations
- Lambda Legal Defense & Education Fund, Midwest Regional Office
- Manzo Eye Care
- Northland MB Pharmacy
- Religious & Spiritual
- Rainbow Crossing - First United Methodist Church of Ann Arbor
- Wedding Gowns
- Elizabeth's Bridal Manor
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Q&A: Annie Lennox On Her Legacy, Why Beyonce Is 'Feminist Lite'
- Q&A: Getting To The Core Of Nick Jonas: Abs, Album & That Gay Striptease 'They Made Me Do'
- GOP Hopeful Wants 'Christians' Fleeing MI If Gays Get Civil Rights
- Creep of the Week: Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder
- Q&A: Lisa Kudrow On Judging 'Drag Race' (As Valerie Cherish!) & Gays Being Biologically 'Superhuman'
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
In a Sept. 27 op-ed in the Detroit News, conservative Republican columnist Nolan Finley raised serious concerns about three Republican candidates running for the state house Nov. 4. Todd Courser of Lapeer, Cindy Gamrat of Plainwell and Gary Glenn of Midland -- all correctly identified by Finley as a "trio (who) seeks tea party tyranny." Nolan describes Glenn and Courser as "extremely anti-gay (who) would turn the Republican Party into a fundamentalist denomination of the Christian Church if given the chance." Finley warned that the trio's narrow views on the Legislature could cripple the government and its ability to work across the aisle to move the state forward. Their agenda also includes killing any expansion of the Elliot-Larsen act to include LGBT protections.View More Pride Source Votes
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!