Arts & Entertainment
Burger King Announces New Gay Burger
By BTL Staff
Originally printed 7/2/2014 (Issue 2226 - Between The Lines News)
Burger King announced it will be selling "the Proud Whopper," a regular Whopper wrapped in rainbow paper. The wrapper reads "We are all the same inside."
BK's Senior Vice President of Global Brand Management, Fernando Machado, told USA Today "It showcases who we are as a brand. It shows how we, as a brand, believe in self expression."
The burger will only be available in San Francisco's Market Street location until Thursday. 100% of sales of the burger will be donated to the Burger King McLamore Foundation for scholarships benefiting LGBT high-school seniors. The fast-food giant also recently sponsored SF Pride.
This isn't the first time fast food's made an appearance in LGBT popular culture. It was only a few years ago that Chik-fil-A was in the news for its support of anti-gay marriage, spawning a media barrage that included editorials, protests and music videos.Is fast food the place to fight for LGBT rights?
- Colorado Gay Marriage Ban Struck Down, Put On Hold
- Michael Sam Comments On Tony Dungy's Comments
- Study: PrEP, Taken Regularly, 100 Percent Effective
- News You Should Know July 23, 2014
- Feds Call On States To Revamp HIV Criminal Laws
- Obama Signs LGBT Workplace Non-Discrimination Executive Order
- Ruling Allows Same-Sex Marriages for Florida Keys
- First Mississippi Mayor Announces Support Of Marriage Equality
- New Report Exposes Deceptive Religious Right Strategy Targeting LGBT Equality
- Utah Will Appeal Gay Marriage Ruling To High Court
- Comic Legend Archie Andrews Takes Bullet For Gay Best Friend
- 'Fox & Friends' Fails To Showcase American's Horror At Gender-Neutral Bathrooms