Arts & Entertainment
Burger King Announces New Gay Burger
By BTL Staff
Originally printed 7/2/2014 (Issue 2226 - Between The Lines News)
Burger King announced it will be selling "the Proud Whopper," a regular Whopper wrapped in rainbow paper. The wrapper reads "We are all the same inside."
BK's Senior Vice President of Global Brand Management, Fernando Machado, told USA Today "It showcases who we are as a brand. It shows how we, as a brand, believe in self expression."
The burger will only be available in San Francisco's Market Street location until Thursday. 100% of sales of the burger will be donated to the Burger King McLamore Foundation for scholarships benefiting LGBT high-school seniors. The fast-food giant also recently sponsored SF Pride.
This isn't the first time fast food's made an appearance in LGBT popular culture. It was only a few years ago that Chik-fil-A was in the news for its support of anti-gay marriage, spawning a media barrage that included editorials, protests and music videos.Is fast food the place to fight for LGBT rights?
- California Bans 'Gay Panic' Defense
- Utah Plaintiffs Ask SCOTUS To Review Case
- First-Of-Its-Kind LGBT Jewish Curriculum
- EqualityMaine Advances Trans Healthcare Coverage
- Florida Supreme Court Asked To Rule On Same-Sex Marriage
- Womyn Born Womyn House Staffer Edits Trans Identity Wikipedia Pages
- 7th Circuit Court Of Appeals Hears Marriage Equality Cases
- When A Lesbian Becomes A Man
- TLC Star Says Transgender People Are Child Predators
- Florida Federal Judge Rules For Same-Sex Marriage
- Landmark Gay Bookstore In Philly To Reopen
- Couple Wins Wedding Venue Dispute
- Virginia Family Foundation Protests Gay Marriage With Fake Fast
- Boy Killed By Mother For Playing With Dolls
- SCOTUS Blocks Virginia Same-Sex Marriages
- Open Letter On Michael Brown #HandsUpDon'tShoot
- Will & Grace Featured In The Smithsonian Collection
- Cyber Bullying Higher For LGBT Youth
- Oregon Medicaid To Cover Gender Reassignment Surgery
- Bryan Fisher Blames Lesbian Attorney For Perry's Indictment
- Welcoming First Trans Man To U.S. House of Reps
- Facebook Donated $10k To Attorney General Appealing Marriage Equality In Utah