Arts & Entertainment
R. Kelly Evades Questions About Transgender Son
Singer Seems Doubtful Despite Son's Public Post
By BTL Staff
Originally printed 6/26/2014 (Issue 2226 - Between The Lines News)
According to Huffington Post, R. Kelly has spoken about his transgender son for the first time.
On Sunday, the controversial singer sat down with Nina Chantele of Chicago's WGCI at Summer Jam 2014. The DJ asked about Kelly's 14 year old son, Jay. Earlier this month, various blogs reported that Jay had come out as transgender on his Ask.fm page.
"There [are] reports of your daughter becoming, you know, your son," Chantele said. "Would you like to address that? Because ... a lot of blogs are saying that you're not addressing it."
"You don't wanna really open it up with saying my daughter's becoming my son," Kelly replied. "You know what I'm saying? ... Always believe what you see, with your own eyes, that is. Always believe what you see."
The Advocate reports that Kelly suggested that news of Jay being transgender may be false. In the interview, the singer emphasizes "If that were true -- don't even give the blog that kind of credits."
Despite these comments indicating possible denial, Kelly professes deep love for all three of his children, continuing, "You save money so your kids can go to college. No matter what they are or who they are, they're still your kids, you love them, you know? You've got to support them. You want to support them. ... At the end of the day it's not about me no more. It's about three lovely, lovely kids that I am in love with and that's in love with me."
Jay has been more candid about his transgender status than his famous father appears to think. On his Ask.fm account, the 14 year old says, "I'm transgender and the son of R. Kelly. I don't know why that is such a huge deal." As recently as Wednesday, Jay was asked on his Ask.fm "So you are transgender.," to which Jay responded "Yea."
Jay, who's received support from his mother, reportedly doesn't have a close relationship with his father, saying "It's not that I don't like him. He made bad choices, and I don't want a relationship with him."Check out more Entertainment news at http://www.pridesource.com/entertainment.html.
- Lesbian Couple In Kalamazoo See Home Ruined
- Fifth Annual Hotter Than July Boat Ride A Fun Time
- HTJ Opening Ceremony Draws Large Crowd
- State Rep. Zemke Introduces Bill To Prohibit Conversion Therapy In Michigan
- Good News For LGBT Students At Michigan Universities
- HTJ Pride Picnic Preview
- HTJ Schedule: Warming Up Detroit
- Progressive Detroit Talks On The National Level: Netroots Closeup
- LGBTs Connect At Netroots Nation
- Michigan Healthcare Providers Discuss LGBT Focus Initiatives
- Mark Schauer Comes To Braun Court
- Hotter Than July Preview
- Immigration: Out Of The Shadows
- Choice: Closely Aligned
- Environment: Only Way To Win Is By Working Together
- Housing: 'We Are All In This Together'
- Labor: A Decades Long Partnership
- Two More Openly LGBT Candidates Announce MI Campaigns