Arts & Entertainment
Judge Strikes Down Indiana's Ban on Marriage Equality
Originally printed 6/25/2014 (Issue 2225 - Between The Lines News)
INDIANA- Federal judge struck down Indiana's amendment to ban same-sex marriage on June 25th, ruling it unconstitutional.
U.S. District Judge Richard Young ruled that Indiana's state constitutional amendment denying same-sex couples the freedom to marry violates the U.S. Constitution. The decision was made after a temporary restraining order was issued in April, ordering the state of Indiana to respect the marriage of a terminally ill woman and her partner, parents of two daughters.
President of Freedom To Marry, Evan Wolfson, says he is ready to conclude the matter of marriage discrimination.
"Judge Young held today that there is no justification for denying same-sex couples the freedom to marry, the latest in a unanimous wave of favorable rulings over the past few months," Wolfson said. "The judge noted the harm marriage discrimination inflicts on Indiana families, while benefiting no one. With more than 70 marriage cases pending and a strong majority of Americans backing the freedom to marry, today's decision out of the heartland underscores that America is ready for the Supreme Court to bring an end to marriage discrimination once and for all."
The Indiana attorney general's office says it will appeal.
"We are delighted that same-sex couples in the Hoosier State will now have the option of marriage, Rea Carey, executive director of the Gay and Lesbian Task Force said. "Marriage equality has clearly reached a critical mass and we can look forward to all Americans having the freedom to marry."
- Colorado Gay Marriage Ban Struck Down, Put On Hold
- Michael Sam Comments On Tony Dungy's Comments
- Study: PrEP, Taken Regularly, 100 Percent Effective
- News You Should Know July 23, 2014
- Feds Call On States To Revamp HIV Criminal Laws
- Obama Signs LGBT Workplace Non-Discrimination Executive Order
- Ruling Allows Same-Sex Marriages for Florida Keys
- First Mississippi Mayor Announces Support Of Marriage Equality
- New Report Exposes Deceptive Religious Right Strategy Targeting LGBT Equality
- Utah Will Appeal Gay Marriage Ruling To High Court
- Comic Legend Archie Andrews Takes Bullet For Gay Best Friend
- 'Fox & Friends' Fails To Showcase American's Horror At Gender-Neutral Bathrooms