Daily Speed Read: News You Should Know June 23, 2014
By Lisa Keen
Originally printed 6/23/2014 (Issue 2225 - Between The Lines News)
OPM PROPOSES RULE CHANGE: In conjunction with a proposed rule change regarding the Family and Medical Leave Act announced by the U.S. Department of Labor last week, the U.S. Office of Personnel Management is publishing a proposed regulation change in today's Federal Register to ensure that federal employees with same-sex spouses can take leave to care for that spouse. The proposal calls for changing the definition of "spouse" to include a husband or wife in a same-sex marriage that was licensed by at a state or, if licensed outside the country, "was valid in the place where entered into and could have been entered into in at least one State."
SOCIAL SECURITY SNAG: In its memorandum to the president June 20, the Department of Justice indicated that the Social Security Administration would treat same-sex spouse applicants for Social Security Income as married "if they live in states that recognize same-sex marriages." The National Center for Lesbian Rights said that, while the overall DOJ memo shows that DOJ and the Obama administration have moved "aggressively and diligently" to provide equal treatment to same-sex married couples in the past year, the Social Security restriction "underscores how far we have yet to go to achieve true equality."
VETS ADMINISTRATION, TOO: The U.S. Veterans Administration announced its post-Windsor guidelines Friday, too, noting that the "Special provisions relating to marriage" under the U.S. Code governing Veterans' Benefits "requires the Department to look to the place of residency rather than the place of celebration to determine whether a Veteran's marriage is recognized for the purposes of VA benefits." The VA press release added, "VA is committed to treating all Veterans and their spouses as equally as possible under the law."
TRANS PRIEST AT NATIONAL CATHEDRAL: A transsexual Episcopal priest served as guest preacher Sunday at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C. The cathedral has been the site of many historic events, including inaugural prayer services and The Rev. Dr. Cameron Partridge, chaplain for Boston University, spoke from the famous Canterbury Pulpit for the church's LGBT Pride service. Openly gay Episcopal priest Gene Robinson presided, according to Associated Press.
DIDN'T KNOW HE HAD A NANNY: When he lived in Indonesia with his mother and her second husband, President Obama had a nanny who was transgender, according to Associated Press, though "she did not dress as a woman around her young charge." Obama was between the ages of six and ten at the time. And President George W. Bush, says AP, had a transgender classmate to the White House for a Yale reunion.
MICHAUD GRAND MARSHALL IN PORTLAND: U.S. Rep. Mike Michaud (D-Maine) served as one of the grand marshals for Portland's largest ever Pride parade Saturday. According to the Portland-Press Herald, Michaud walked the parade route shaking hands, while independent Eliot Cutler, his chief rival to unseat incumbent Republican Governor Paul LePage, walked the route carrying a rainbow flag. The Press Herald said Governor LePage, a Tea Party conservative, was invited to participate but a spokesperson said he was unable to fit the event into his schedule.
REP. MALONEY MARRIES: Openly gay U.S. Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney (D-NY) married his long-time partner Randy Florke in Cold Spring, New York, Saturday, according to the Time-Herald Record. "Even after 22 years together, we're overwhelmed by how blessed we feel to celebrate this special day with our friends and family," Maloney told the paper. "With our three kids by our side, this couldn't have been a more perfect day."
More News You Should Know
- Statewide Campaign For Gender Inclusive Civil Rights Amendment
- Honoring The Death Of Trans Sisters And Brothers
- Upcoming Community Michigan LGBT Marriage Conversations
- Launch Of TransGen Times
- Cervical Cancer Survey Seeks Lesbian And Bisexual Women
- LGBT Veterans Still Denied Equal Federal Benefits
- Michigan Election Results Wrap Up
- Reminder: GOTV And Election Coverage Plans
- Impact On The Kids, Totten Talks Harms Of Same-Sex Adoption Ban
- State House Blocks HIV And Other Reproductive Health Websites From Staff
- Oakland Univ. Conversation on LGBT Rights in Michigan
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- Grand Rapids Red Project
- Level One Bank
- Campus; Student and Alumni Groups
- Central Michigan University - Office of Gay and Lesbian Programs
- Dexter Cabinet & Countertop
- Entertainment Agency
- Elysium Experience
- Florists/Floral Design
- Schroeter's Flowers
- Miner's Den Jewelers
- Pet Day Care
- 4 Paws Community Center
- Professional Organizations
- Michigan Gay Officers Action League
- Religious & Spiritual
- Metropolitan Community Church of Flint
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Q&A: Lisa Kudrow On Judging 'Drag Race' (As Valerie Cherish!) & Gays Being Biologically 'Superhuman'
- Q&A: Andy Cohen On His (Almost) Tell-All Book, 'Nasty' Names Gays Call Him
- GOP Hopeful Wants 'Christians' Fleeing MI If Gays Get Civil Rights
- Divine Intervention: Bette Midler Talks Early Gay Support, 'Diva' Degradation & Twerking ('Girls, Please!')
- Creep of the Week: Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!