Daily Speed Read: News You Should Know June 23, 2014
By Lisa Keen
Originally printed 6/23/2014 (Issue 2225 - Between The Lines News)
OPM PROPOSES RULE CHANGE: In conjunction with a proposed rule change regarding the Family and Medical Leave Act announced by the U.S. Department of Labor last week, the U.S. Office of Personnel Management is publishing a proposed regulation change in today's Federal Register to ensure that federal employees with same-sex spouses can take leave to care for that spouse. The proposal calls for changing the definition of "spouse" to include a husband or wife in a same-sex marriage that was licensed by at a state or, if licensed outside the country, "was valid in the place where entered into and could have been entered into in at least one State."
SOCIAL SECURITY SNAG: In its memorandum to the president June 20, the Department of Justice indicated that the Social Security Administration would treat same-sex spouse applicants for Social Security Income as married "if they live in states that recognize same-sex marriages." The National Center for Lesbian Rights said that, while the overall DOJ memo shows that DOJ and the Obama administration have moved "aggressively and diligently" to provide equal treatment to same-sex married couples in the past year, the Social Security restriction "underscores how far we have yet to go to achieve true equality."
VETS ADMINISTRATION, TOO: The U.S. Veterans Administration announced its post-Windsor guidelines Friday, too, noting that the "Special provisions relating to marriage" under the U.S. Code governing Veterans' Benefits "requires the Department to look to the place of residency rather than the place of celebration to determine whether a Veteran's marriage is recognized for the purposes of VA benefits." The VA press release added, "VA is committed to treating all Veterans and their spouses as equally as possible under the law."
TRANS PRIEST AT NATIONAL CATHEDRAL: A transsexual Episcopal priest served as guest preacher Sunday at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C. The cathedral has been the site of many historic events, including inaugural prayer services and The Rev. Dr. Cameron Partridge, chaplain for Boston University, spoke from the famous Canterbury Pulpit for the church's LGBT Pride service. Openly gay Episcopal priest Gene Robinson presided, according to Associated Press.
DIDN'T KNOW HE HAD A NANNY: When he lived in Indonesia with his mother and her second husband, President Obama had a nanny who was transgender, according to Associated Press, though "she did not dress as a woman around her young charge." Obama was between the ages of six and ten at the time. And President George W. Bush, says AP, had a transgender classmate to the White House for a Yale reunion.
MICHAUD GRAND MARSHALL IN PORTLAND: U.S. Rep. Mike Michaud (D-Maine) served as one of the grand marshals for Portland's largest ever Pride parade Saturday. According to the Portland-Press Herald, Michaud walked the parade route shaking hands, while independent Eliot Cutler, his chief rival to unseat incumbent Republican Governor Paul LePage, walked the route carrying a rainbow flag. The Press Herald said Governor LePage, a Tea Party conservative, was invited to participate but a spokesperson said he was unable to fit the event into his schedule.
REP. MALONEY MARRIES: Openly gay U.S. Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney (D-NY) married his long-time partner Randy Florke in Cold Spring, New York, Saturday, according to the Time-Herald Record. "Even after 22 years together, we're overwhelmed by how blessed we feel to celebrate this special day with our friends and family," Maloney told the paper. "With our three kids by our side, this couldn't have been a more perfect day."
- New CDC Campaign Encourages HIV Treatment And Maintenance
- 15 Orgos Ask Capitol For New LGBT State Dept. Position
- Ginsburg: 6th Circuit Likely To Determine SCOTUS Urgency
- Ben & Jerry's Scoops Support For Same-Sex Marriage
- Detroit Leadership Class Welcomes Affirmations' Director Of Programs
- Third Circuit Court Upholds Conversion Therapy Ban
- Women's Colleges Address Transgender Applicants
- Mich. Dems Push Elliott-Larsen Amendment In House And Senate
- Legislators Urge To Reevaluate Donation Policies for MSM
- 32 States Request SCOTUS To Settle Same-Sex Marriage
- Entertainment Agency
- Elysium Experience
- NATIONAL HOME LENDING dba Gold Star Financial
- Univ. of Michigan HIV/AIDS Treatment Program
- Elsie Publishing
- Religious & Spiritual
- Full Truth Fellowship Of Christ Church
- Cathedral Church Of St. Paul
- St. Andrew's Episcopal Church
- Ann Arbor Civic Theatre
- Mosaic Youth Theatre of Detroit
- Wedding Venue
- The Village Chapel
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Michfest Responds: We Have a Few Demands Of Our Own
- Q&A: Jennifer Hudson On Lesbian Rumors & Drag Queen Attitude: 'I Don't Care What You Think'
- Q&A: Bill Hader Talks Gay Kisses ('Paul Rudd Tastes Like Chicken') & Trans Sketch ('Sorry')
- Barbra Streisand's Duet With Gay Son Is Highlight Of New Album
- BREAKING: Is Terri Lynn Land's Family Violating Nonprofit Regulations?
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
CHELSEA - Following a path that has taken her from working in civil rights in the big metropolis of New York City to owning dozens of sheep, chickens, pigs and other rowdy farm animals, Angie Martell seeks a full life of balance and tranquility.
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!