Pugh Update: Civil Suit Filed
By Jason A. Michael
Originally printed 6/12/2014 (Issue 2224 - Between The Lines News)
DETROIT - A week after a federal judge ruled that he could not sue the city of Detroit outside of bankruptcy court, a former high school student has filed a lawsuit against former Detroit City Council President Charles Pugh seeking $1 million in damages. The suit also lists as defendants Detroit Public Schools, former Emergency Managers Robert Bobb and Roy Roberts, high school principal Berry Greer and assistant principal Monique McMurtry.
In his complaint, Khody Sanford, who was a member of the Charles Pugh Leadership Forum at Frederick Douglass Academy for Young Men, said DPS "was aware of Defendant Pugh's physicality, favoritism and sexual harassment toward certain students, and particularly plaintiff."
As previously reported in Between The Lines, Pugh took Sanford to Madison Heights on the last day of school last year where he bought him dress clothes and a cell phone. Once Sanford had the phone, he began exchanging explicit text messages with Pugh and, at the politician's request, filmed a video of himself masturbating in exchange for $160 to be used toward prom expenses.
The relationship ended when Sanford's mother, Tamu Gaines, discovered the messages. She filed a report with the Madison Heights Police Department, but Oakland County Prosecutor Jessica Cooper found no evidence that a crime had been committed and declined to file charges.
Now the civil suit alleges sexual harassment. But a look at the text messages included in the Madison Heights police report show Sanford, who was 18 at the time, as a willing participant in the relationship.
"I need games and money," Sanford said in one text message.
"I got you," Pugh replied, encouraging him again to make a video. "Just quit being so damn scared."
"I'm making the vid when I get home," Sandford said. "I'm serious as f***."
"You guys need to know how to WORK the guys with power and money who have crushes on y'all," Pugh responded. "You got the HOOKUP, bro. You just don't know how to work it. You could get anything you want from me."
According to the lawsuit, Pugh's behavior in the matter was "intentional, extreme, outrageous and of such character as to be intolerable in a civilized society."
- ALERT Missing Person In Metro Detroit
- A Remembrance: Robert Clark
- New LGBT Tobacco Disparity Report For Michigan Released
- Representation: Trans Activism In Michigan Lame Duck
- Between Bass And Treble: An Alto Story
- Local Gatherings Against MiRFRA
- Call To Action: Petition Seeks To Stop MIRFRA
- Top Faith Leaders Discuss Religious Freedom, LGBT Inclusion
- The First Trans Helpline In USA Is In Michigan
- LGBT Judge To Speak At Ann Arbor Interfaith Service
- Gay Therapist Discusses Sexualities Of LGBT And Straight Men In New Book
- Affirmations Seeks LGBTQ-Friendly Healthcare Providers
- Ruth Ellis Center Celebrates 15 Years Serving LGBTQ Youth
- The Rise Of 'License To Discriminate'; The Failure Of LGBT Civil Rights
- State Civil Rights Amendment Dead, Says Speaker
- WCC Expands LGBT Protections
- PrEP Debate Continues As Advocates Hold Conversations In State
- 'KICK' Off The Holidays With Annual Gala In Detroit
- Foster Children's Charity Collecting New Toys, Gifts For Holiday Bazaar
- Right Reverend Wendell Gibbs To Speak On Marriage Equality
- Affirmations Hosts Information Session On LGBT Foster Parenting And Adoption
- Campus; Student and Alumni Groups
- Northern Michigan University Gay/Lesbian Multicultural Resource Center
- Lansing Community College Gay-Straight Alliance
- Event Planners
- Suburban Party Rental
- Will U Party Event Planning
- Families and Parents
- PFLAG Battle Creek
- Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams
- Rainbow Jewelers
- NATIONAL HOME LENDING dba Gold Star Financial
- Pet Boarding
- Camp Bow Wow Brighton
- Weight Loss
- Alpha LifeStyle Center of Birmingham
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Exclusive! 'Looking' Star Russell Tovey On Sex Scenes, His Famous Butt & That Rimming Cake
- Q&A: Andy Cohen On His (Almost) Tell-All Book, 'Nasty' Names Gays Call Him
- Divine Intervention: Bette Midler Talks Early Gay Support, 'Diva' Degradation & Twerking ('Girls, Please!')
- Creep of the Week: The Duggars
- Being Young & Coming Out To Bette Midler
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!