Watch the video and help identify the assailants. Contact the Detroit Police Department at (313) 596-2200.
Hate Crimes At Motor City Pride
Help Us Identify The Assailants
Originally printed 6/10/2014 (Issue 2223 - Between The Lines News)
DETROIT -Sunday at Motor City Pride, a 20-year-old man fell victim to a hate crime for being a member of the LGBT community, according to reports by WXYZ. Between The Lines joins the local media in search of those who took part in this attack.
Christin Howard, a hairstylist, walked away from the traumatic event but is suffering from bruises, abrasions and a broken finger. He will not be able to return to work until his hand has healed.
The attack started with verbal assaults and escalated into physical violence with all the men pushing Howard to the ground, each taking turns on Howard as he lay helpless.
"Violence directed at LGBT people because they are LGBT is disproportionately high in this country, and LGBT people of color are at an even higher risk of more brutal and vicious attacks," Director of Victim Services at Equality Michigan, Yvonne Siferd said. "It never ceases to amaze me that others are so concerned with how we live our lives that they feel emboldened to violently attack us for simply being ourselves. Our eleted officials can send a powerful message that this type of hate is not tolerated in Michigan by speaking out against attacks like these and amending Michigan's hate crimes law to include LGBT victims."
He was walking along Detroit's Riverwalk when a group of five to eight men, none of whom have been identified yet, attacked him, beat him to the ground and then left. This is the first instance of a hate crime reported at Motor City Pride since it was moved into Hart Plaza four years ago.
The entire incident lasted less than two minutes, but Howard says he is shaken and is skeptical if he will return to Pride next year, worried the same perpetrators will be there.
WXYZ reports that the attack was unprovoked and started with comments about Howard's long hair, escalating into homophobic slurs and violent threats. The Howard family has requested that any and all media inquiries be directed to Equality Michigan.
If you recognize any of the abusers in the video, please contact the Detroit Police Department.
Call the Detroit Police at (313) 596-2200 or visit their headquarter location at 1301 Third St. Detroit, MI 48226.
- Legislators Call For Legal Protections For LGBT Michiganders
- Michigan's SCOTUS Courtside Campers
- Video: James Toy reflects on Marriage Equality Hearings
- State Senate Committee Passes Adoption Discrimination Bills
- State Capitol Candlelight Vigil Tonight Supporting Marriage Equality
- GOP Senate Source: MiRFRA Will Have Hearing Tuesday April 28, No Vote Expected
- Oakland University To Offer Gender Studies Minor
- Michigan Womyn's Fest Says 2015 Is Last Year
- The Road After SCOTUS Decision
- Advocates And Academics Advance Equality At Inaugural 'Research To Action' Conference
- National Organizations Pull Support From Michfest Petition
- Obituary: Marvin Marks
- New Case Study to Michigan Lawmakers: 'Don't Repeat The Mistakes Of Indiana'
- Marriage Equality March Downtown Flint
- Emily Dievendorf Announces Campaign For Lansing City Council
- Dieseltec Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Controversial Anti-LGBT Mechanic Has Checkered Past
- Pro-Gay Protestors at Dieseltec - GALLERY
- Supporters of DieselTec - GALLERY
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- Michigan Protection and Advocacy Service HIV/AIDS Advocacy Program
- Cocktails & Dreams
- Campus; Student and Alumni Groups
- GVSU LGBT Resource Center
- University Musical Society
- People's Food Co-op and Cafe Verde
- National Organizations
- Immigration Equality
- Pet Adoption
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
- Professional Organizations
- GM PLUS - General Motors LGBT Employee Resource Group
- Religious & Spiritual
- First United Methodist Church
- Social/Community Organizations
- LGBT Detroit
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Anti-Gay Company Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Q&A: Reba Talks 'Very Important' LGBT Rights, Her First Gay Wedding & Feeling 'Sad' For Closeted Country Stars
- Q&A: Scott Eastwood Endorses Father's Gay Marriage Mantra, Talks Sex Scenes ('I Was Turned On') & Mel Gibson's Advice
- Is GoFundMe The New Welfare For Anti-Gay Corporations?
- Josh Groban Q&A: His Queer Bear Fans, Failing The Ryan Gosling 'Gay Test' & Why He Worships RuPaul
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!