Second Parent Adoption Forum
Originally printed 6/5/2014 (Issue 2223 - Between The Lines News)
The Federal Sixth Circuit Court in Cincinnati will be hearing arguments this summer not only on the right of Michigan same-sex couples to marry, but also on the right to adopt each others' children. Learn more about this issue, from both a legal and a personal perspective, at a Second Parent Adoptions forum June 13, 7:30 p.m. at the Northwest Unitarian Universalist Church located at 23925 Northwestern Highway in Southfield.
Speakers will include Jay Kaplan, attorney with Michigan ACLU's LGBT Legal Project and one of the litigants in the federal appeals case; State Rep. Jeff Irwin, who introduced legislation to legalize second parent adoptions in Michigan and Jason and James, a couple married on March 22nd, the day after U.S. District Judge Bernard Friedman struck down Michigan's ban on same sex marriage. Jason and James are parents of Nora, a one year old infant.
This event is sponsored by the Michigan Unitarian Universalist Social Justice Network and the Northwest Unitarian Universalist Church. Register online at http://www.uujustice.org/conferenceregistration2.html or call Randy Block at 248-549-5170. Donations will be gratefully accepted to cover event expenses.
- Equality Michigan and Connect2Protect Fundraise For Gender Neutral Bathrooms In Detroit
- New AIDS Partnership Michigan Coordinator To Tackle HIV, MSM Stigma For Detroit Agency
- Mich. Dems Push Elliott-Larsen Amendment In House And Senate
- Gays Against Gary Glenn
- AIDS Walk Locations
- MY Consent Day Empowers Michigan Youth, LGBT Survivors Of Assault
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services (ACCESS)
- Fairlane Ford
- Campus; Student and Alumni Groups
- GLOBE (Gay, Lesbian or Bisexual Equity)
- Credit Union
- University of Michigan
Credit Union (UMCU)
- Event Planners
- Ypsilanti Area Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Families and Parents
- PFLAG Tri-Cities (Bay City/Saginaw/Midland)
- Fertility Services
- Trillium Birth Services
- Moving Companies
- Two Men And a Truck
- Social/Community Organizations
- A2 TNG (Next Generation of Kinkster)
- The Tux Shop on Woodward
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Michfest Responds: We Have a Few Demands Of Our Own
- Q&A: Jennifer Hudson On Lesbian Rumors & Drag Queen Attitude: 'I Don't Care What You Think'
- LeAnn Rimes Q&A: 'Eddie & I Are A Gay Man's Wet Dream'
- Why Jason Mraz Won't Kiss & Tell: 'I've Spoken Up For The Things That Are Important To Me'
- Equality Michigan Stands With Allies: Seeking Full Inclusion
"The Ghosts in Our Machine" is a powerful 2013 feature documentary about animal rights, made accessible through the photos and personal journey of well-known international photographer Jo-Anne McArthur and lesbian filmmaker Liz Marshall.
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!