Arts & Entertainment
Second Parent Adoption Forum
Originally printed 6/5/2014 (Issue 2223 - Between The Lines News)
The Federal Sixth Circuit Court in Cincinnati will be hearing arguments this summer not only on the right of Michigan same-sex couples to marry, but also on the right to adopt each others' children. Learn more about this issue, from both a legal and a personal perspective, at a Second Parent Adoptions forum June 13, 7:30 p.m. at the Northwest Unitarian Universalist Church located at 23925 Northwestern Highway in Southfield.
Speakers will include Jay Kaplan, attorney with Michigan ACLU's LGBT Legal Project and one of the litigants in the federal appeals case; State Rep. Jeff Irwin, who introduced legislation to legalize second parent adoptions in Michigan and Jason and James, a couple married on March 22nd, the day after U.S. District Judge Bernard Friedman struck down Michigan's ban on same sex marriage. Jason and James are parents of Nora, a one year old infant.
This event is sponsored by the Michigan Unitarian Universalist Social Justice Network and the Northwest Unitarian Universalist Church. Register online at http://www.uujustice.org/conferenceregistration2.html or call Randy Block at 248-549-5170. Donations will be gratefully accepted to cover event expenses.
- Hotter Than July Conference Focuses On Past, Future Of Detroit's African American LGBT Community
- Lesbian Couple In Kalamazoo See Home Ruined
- Equality Michigan Starts Petition To Change Michfest Trans Exclusion Policy
- Fifth Annual Hotter Than July Boat Ride A Fun Time
- HTJ Opening Ceremony Draws Large Crowd
- State Rep. Zemke Introduces Bill To Prohibit Conversion Therapy In Michigan
- Good News For LGBT Students At Michigan Universities
- HTJ Pride Picnic Preview
- HTJ Schedule: Warming Up Detroit
- Progressive Detroit Talks On The National Level: Netroots Closeup
- LGBTs Connect At Netroots Nation
- Michigan Healthcare Providers Discuss LGBT Focus Initiatives
- Mark Schauer Comes To Braun Court
- Hotter Than July Preview
- Immigration: Out Of The Shadows
- Choice: Closely Aligned
- Environment: Only Way To Win Is By Working Together
- Housing: 'We Are All In This Together'
- Labor: A Decades Long Partnership
- Two More Openly LGBT Candidates Announce MI Campaigns
- Hotter Than July Film Festival In Midtown
- Diverse Support For Same-Sex Couples In Michigan's Marriage Ban Challenge