Arts & Entertainment
LGBT Older Adult Summit Coming Up
Originally printed 6/5/2014 (Issue 2223 - Between The Lines News)
The Fourth Annual LGBT Older Adult Summit comes to Detroit June 21. The event is organized by the LGBT Older Adult Summit Planning Committee. The gathering will look at senior employment and volunteer opportunities, along with sharing information about housing, isolation issues, independent living, financial security and HIV/AIDS. This year's summit features the theme "Living In the Spirit of Now."
The keynote speaker, Walter Woods, currently heads the AARP Foundation's development of high impact solutions for keeping struggling Americans 50+ engaged as they age. He is the Vice President of the foundation's Impact Program - Isolation, working to connect millions of American seniors to the resources they need.
The Fourth Annual LGBT Adult Summit will take place from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the MSU Detroit Campus, 3408 Woodward Ave. The event is free of charge and includes continental breakfast and lunch. Register for more information online at http://bit.ly/R9gKEm or contact Judy Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Seeking Stories To Share
As part of the conference, the LGBT Older Adult Coalition is currently seeking LGBT older adults who would like to participate in a story-building project. Interested parties will have an opportunity to have their story captured on film at the summit. The stories are being gathered to support a public awareness campaign about the needs of LGBT older adults to be launched this fall in collaboration with the three Area Agencies on Aging serving the region. Interested parties must apply online by June 13 at: http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s.asp?sid=ho1xns174ns8iar489974 or by vising the LGBT Older Adult Facebook page. For more information, contact Project Director Kathleen LaTosch at 248-812-9202 or email email@example.com.
The event, sponsored in part by BTL, KICK, Affirmations Senior Koffee Klatch and more, is a community and social gathering for LGBT seniors.
2014 LGBT Older Adult Summit
Saturday June 21, 2014
9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Michigan State University-Detroit Center, 3408 Woodward Ave., Detroit (2 blocks south of MLK Blvd).
Register online at: http://bit.ly/R9gKEm
- Lesbian Couple In Kalamazoo See Home Ruined
- Equality Michigan Starts Petition To Change Michfest Trans Exclusion Policy
- Fifth Annual Hotter Than July Boat Ride A Fun Time
- HTJ Opening Ceremony Draws Large Crowd
- State Rep. Zemke Introduces Bill To Prohibit Conversion Therapy In Michigan
- Good News For LGBT Students At Michigan Universities
- HTJ Pride Picnic Preview
- HTJ Schedule: Warming Up Detroit
- Progressive Detroit Talks On The National Level: Netroots Closeup
- LGBTs Connect At Netroots Nation
- Michigan Healthcare Providers Discuss LGBT Focus Initiatives
- Mark Schauer Comes To Braun Court
- Hotter Than July Preview
- Immigration: Out Of The Shadows
- Choice: Closely Aligned
- Environment: Only Way To Win Is By Working Together
- Housing: 'We Are All In This Together'
- Labor: A Decades Long Partnership
- Two More Openly LGBT Candidates Announce MI Campaigns
- Hotter Than July Film Festival In Midtown
- Diverse Support For Same-Sex Couples In Michigan's Marriage Ban Challenge