Last years Ferndale Pride fest was rolling. The 2014 event is planned for May 31. File photo Andrew Potter.
Gearing Up For Ferndale Pride
By Shelby Clark Petkus
Originally printed 5/15/2014 (Issue 2220 - Between The Lines News)
Ferndale Pride is a yearly event in Downtown Ferndale celebrating all LGBTQA, featuring food, entertainment, shopping and more; over 10,000 people attend each year. This year's event will be emceed by Gay Billy, Nina Ross and Natalie Cole. Multiple DJs, rallies and entertainment will be held throughout the downtown area, include a wedding and commitment ceremony on the main stage of the event. Food trucks, such as Shimmy Shack and Treat Dreams, will be serving throughout the festival. Blue Care Network is presenting a Children's Area, and a variety of retail and nonprofit booths will be present.
Ferndale Pride will take over the downtown Ferndale area this year on Saturday, May 31, but festivities don't have to wait until then.
All proceeds raised for Ferndale Pride during May and at Pride will stay within the community, supporting Affirmations, Michigan AIDS Coalition (MAC) and the Ferndale Community Foundation. Rosie O' Grady's is at 279 W. Nine Mile, Ferndale and will be hosting a variety of pride-related events throughout May and June, including a drag show and brunch the Sunday after pride.
Another event putting the "fun" in "fundraiser" will be held at 9 p.m. on Friday, May 16 at SOHO Ferndale, 205 W. Nine Mile. The no-cover event will feature a contest for all males, 35 and older, to be crowned the "Hottest Daddy" of Ferndale. Those not eligible or interested in entering the contest are invited to vote for their favorite, applying $1 for every vote. Together with raffle tickets, the proceeds from the event will benefit Ferndale Pride, helping to keep the event free.
Outside of nights on the town, Ferndale Pride is promoting preparation for their May 31 as well.
To get more involved in the organization of the main event itself, Ferndale Pride Planning Meetings will be from 7 to 8 p.m. on Thursday, May 15 and Wednesday, May 28 at Affirmations, 290 W. Nine Mile Road, Ferndale.
On May 17, the Ferndale Community Foundation will host their annual "Clean the Ferndale Up!" event. The all day, downtown Ferndale event works to clean up the city right before the big LGBT event. Clean the Ferndale Up! brings volunteers, groups, businesses and more to help improve public spaces for the community, repairing and restoring neglected, vandalized or misused areas. To help beautify the city before Ferndale Pride, visit http://www.cleantheferndaleup.com or call 248-672-4067.
Pride Prom, Rainbow Run
Pride Prom will be held on the eve of the event on 8 p.m., May 30, at the Ferndale Public Library, 222 E. Nine Mile Road. The 21+ event will feature a DJ, cash bar, refreshments, photos and more. Tickets are $25 in advance, $30 at the door.
The morning of Ferndale Pride will kick off the high-energy day with the Rainbow Run. The annual 2k and 5k walk and run winds through downtown Ferndale, where participants wearing white t-shirts are splattered with non-toxic powdered paint. By the end of the race, a rainbow of runners and walkers show their very visible pride.
All who support diversity, acceptance, anti-bullying programs and more are welcome to join the inclusive, fun and family-friendly event. The proceeds benefit area non-profits including Affirmations, the anti-bullying program, Upstander, the Ferndale Community Foundation and the Ferndale Area Chamber of Commerce.
To register for the event, call 248-542-2160 or visit http://www.rainbow-run.com. Registration for the May 31 event begins at 8:45 a.m. the day of, and rates range from $15-35 per person. Run and walk times are staggered beginning at 10:30 a.m.
If running seems a bit tiring before the all-day party of Pride, Dino's Lounge will be hosting a bottomless Bloody Mary and Mimosa brunch for pride from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, May 31. Dino's is located at 22740 Woodward Ave., Ferndale.For more information, including an expanding list of pre- and post-pride events, visit http://www.ferndalepride.com or check out Ferndale Pride's Facebook page.
- Michigan's SCOTUS Courtside Campers
- Video: James Toy reflects on Marriage Equality Hearings
- State Senate Committee Passes Adoption Discrimination Bills
- State Capitol Candlelight Vigil Tonight Supporting Marriage Equality
- GOP Senate Source: MiRFRA Will Have Hearing Tuesday April 28, No Vote Expected
- Oakland University To Offer Gender Studies Minor
- Michigan Womyn's Fest Says 2015 Is Last Year
- The Road After SCOTUS Decision
- Advocates And Academics Advance Equality At Inaugural 'Research To Action' Conference
- National Organizations Pull Support From Michfest Petition
- Obituary: Marvin Marks
- New Case Study to Michigan Lawmakers: 'Don't Repeat The Mistakes Of Indiana'
- Marriage Equality March Downtown Flint
- Emily Dievendorf Announces Campaign For Lansing City Council
- Dieseltec Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Controversial Anti-LGBT Mechanic Has Checkered Past
- Pro-Gay Protestors at Dieseltec - GALLERY
- Supporters of DieselTec - GALLERY
- Thrive Therapy Group, PC
- Bobby Branch State Farm
- Grinstein Jewelry
- Legal Organizations
- Lambda Legal Defense & Education Fund, Midwest Regional Office
- Charles H. Wright Museum of African-American History
- Pet Day Care
- 4 Paws Community Center
- Plastic Surgery
- Colton Center for Men
- Religious & Spiritual
- St. Aidan's Episcopal Church
- Social/Community Organizations
- Billionaire Boys Club
- Arbor Pointe Veterinary Hospital
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Anti-Gay Company Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Q&A: Reba Talks 'Very Important' LGBT Rights, Her First Gay Wedding & Feeling 'Sad' For Closeted Country Stars
- Q&A: Scott Eastwood Endorses Father's Gay Marriage Mantra, Talks Sex Scenes ('I Was Turned On') & Mel Gibson's Advice
- Is GoFundMe The New Welfare For Anti-Gay Corporations?
- Josh Groban Q&A: His Queer Bear Fans, Failing The Ryan Gosling 'Gay Test' & Why He Worships RuPaul
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!