Arts & Entertainment
LGBT Health And Wellness Fair Coming May 17
Originally printed 5/15/2014 (Issue 2220 - Between The Lines News)
FERNDALE - Affirmations will host its 11th annual Health and Wellness Fair for the LGBT community May 17 from 1-5 p.m. This free event includes educational workshops and free and low-cost health services, including screenings for weight, vision, dental, blood pressure, glucose, cholesterol, HIV and more. This year, the health fair will once again feature Project Healthy Living, but welcomes the U of M School of Dentistry and the University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry, who will provide dental screenings and referrals onsite. Workshops to be offered include: hormone therapy for gender transition, the impact of minority stress on heart health and ways to combat its negative affect and information about Michigan's expanded Medicaid plan, Healthy Michigan.
"Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people often face numerous barriers in accessing health services. Our annual Health & Wellness Fair represents Affirmations' commitment to a strong and healthy community and is part of our ongoing effort to provide a safe space for the LGBT community to access basic health screenings and important information," said Lydia Ahlum Hanson, health and wellness manager. "Everyone is welcome and encouraged to attend."
Other features this year include hormone therapy consultations with a pharmacist, and the vendor marketplace that will showcase various health related agencies including Blue Care Network of Michigan, Thrive Therapy Group, Michigan Educational Partnership, Wentworth & Associates and the Children's Center. Other perks include free, healthy snacks, a live DJ and a special J-Sette performance by DRAMA. Attendees will also be entered into a free raffle that includes prizes from Inn Season Cafe, Changez Salon & Spa, Body Morph and the grand prize of a three-month membership from Snap Fitness.
- Lesbian Couple In Kalamazoo See Home Ruined
- Fifth Annual Hotter Than July Boat Ride A Fun Time
- HTJ Opening Ceremony Draws Large Crowd
- State Rep. Zemke Introduces Bill To Prohibit Conversion Therapy In Michigan
- Good News For LGBT Students At Michigan Universities
- HTJ Pride Picnic Preview
- HTJ Schedule: Warming Up Detroit
- Progressive Detroit Talks On The National Level: Netroots Closeup
- LGBTs Connect At Netroots Nation
- Michigan Healthcare Providers Discuss LGBT Focus Initiatives
- Mark Schauer Comes To Braun Court
- Hotter Than July Preview
- Immigration: Out Of The Shadows
- Choice: Closely Aligned
- Environment: Only Way To Win Is By Working Together
- Housing: 'We Are All In This Together'
- Labor: A Decades Long Partnership
- Two More Openly LGBT Candidates Announce MI Campaigns