Idaho Veteran's Cemetery Won't Bury Gay Spouse
Originally printed 4/30/2014 (Issue 2218 - Between The Lines News)
BOISE, Idaho (AP) - A 74-year-old Boise woman wants to overturn a constitutional amendment that says Idaho doesn't recognize same-sex marriage after learning the Idaho State Veterans Cemetery won't allow her to be buried with her partner's ashes.
Madelynn Taylor served in the U.S. Navy for six years. She says after her spouse Jean Mixner died in 2012 she went to the veteran's cemetery to make arrangements for them to be buried together, but cemetery rules require a valid marriage certificate. The state of Idaho does not recognize their 2008 marriage in California.
Taylor keeps Mixner's ashes in her closet. She says if she dies without both being accepted into the state veteran's cemetery, someone will keep their ashes together until they are allowed to be buried in that cemetery.
- Equality Michigan and Connect2Protect Fundraise For Gender Neutral Bathrooms In Detroit
- New AIDS Partnership Michigan Coordinator To Tackle HIV, MSM Stigma For Detroit Agency
- Mich. Dems Push Elliott-Larsen Amendment In House And Senate
- Gays Against Gary Glenn
- AIDS Walk Locations
- MY Consent Day Empowers Michigan Youth, LGBT Survivors Of Assault
- M & M Accounting Corp.
- Suburban Buick GMC
- Campus; Student and Alumni Groups
- Lansing Community College Gay-Straight Alliance
- University Musical Society
- Dance Company
- Wellspring/Cori Terry & Dancers
- Heating & Cooling
- AAC Services Heating, Cooling & Refrigeration
- Leather Gear
- Noir Leather
- Pet Day Care
- Camp Bow Wow Clarkston
- Social/Community Organizations
- The Scarab Club
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Michfest Responds: We Have a Few Demands Of Our Own
- Q&A: Jennifer Hudson On Lesbian Rumors & Drag Queen Attitude: 'I Don't Care What You Think'
- LeAnn Rimes Q&A: 'Eddie & I Are A Gay Man's Wet Dream'
- Why Jason Mraz Won't Kiss & Tell: 'I've Spoken Up For The Things That Are Important To Me'
- Equality Michigan Stands With Allies: Seeking Full Inclusion
"The Ghosts in Our Machine" is a powerful 2013 feature documentary about animal rights, made accessible through the photos and personal journey of well-known international photographer Jo-Anne McArthur and lesbian filmmaker Liz Marshall.
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!