Michigan Marriage Update: 'No' To Skipping A Step
Originally printed 5/1/2014 (Issue 2218 - Between The Lines News)
DETROIT - The Sixth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals also issued an order Monday, denying the state of Michigan's request to skip over a three-judge panel and go straight to the full appeals court with its appeal of a district court ruling that its ban on same-sex marriages is unconstitutional. The one-page order stated simply that "no judge of this court" voted to send the case directly to the full bench.
The court says the state's appeal of a decision overturning a ban on same-sex marriage will follow the usual course. The case will be heard by a three-judge panel, probably later this year.
Attorney General Bill Schuette wanted the full court to leapfrog the panel and take the appeal. But there's no interest from judges at the Cincinnati-based court.
- Equality Michigan and Connect2Protect Fundraise For Gender Neutral Bathrooms In Detroit
- New AIDS Partnership Michigan Coordinator To Tackle HIV, MSM Stigma For Detroit Agency
- Mich. Dems Push Elliott-Larsen Amendment In House And Senate
- Gays Against Gary Glenn
- AIDS Walk Locations
- MY Consent Day Empowers Michigan Youth, LGBT Survivors Of Assault
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- Henry Ford Hospital Division of Infectious Diseases
- Attorney at Law
- Banquet Hall/Catering
- The Polo Fields Golf & Country Club
- Funeral Services
- Spaulding & Curtin Funeral Directors
- Flint Institute Of Arts
- National Organizations
- National Black Justice Coalition
- Religious & Spiritual
- St. Clare's Episcopal Church
- The French Laundry
- Social/Community Organizations
- Southwest Michigan Bears
- Symphony Orchestra
- Lansing Symphony Orchestra
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Michfest Responds: We Have a Few Demands Of Our Own
- Q&A: Jennifer Hudson On Lesbian Rumors & Drag Queen Attitude: 'I Don't Care What You Think'
- LeAnn Rimes Q&A: 'Eddie & I Are A Gay Man's Wet Dream'
- Why Jason Mraz Won't Kiss & Tell: 'I've Spoken Up For The Things That Are Important To Me'
- Equality Michigan Stands With Allies: Seeking Full Inclusion
"The Ghosts in Our Machine" is a powerful 2013 feature documentary about animal rights, made accessible through the photos and personal journey of well-known international photographer Jo-Anne McArthur and lesbian filmmaker Liz Marshall.
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!