Arts & Entertainment
MSU 2014 LGBT Scholarship Applications Available
Originally printed 2/27/2014 (Issue 2209 - Between The Lines News)
Applications for The Pride Scholarship and Stephen P. Pougnet and Christopher J. Green Endowed Scholarship at Michigan State University are now available online for the 2014-2015 academic year. The applications are due by March 31. The Pride Scholarship is awarded to an incoming, first-year MSU undergraduate student who has been active in support of the LGBT community. Although preference is given to an incoming, first-year student, all students are welcome to apply. A scholarship of between $4,500 and $5,000 will be awarded. The recipient is selected by the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Faculty Staff and Graduate Student Association at MSU. Students can find an online application at http://lbgtrc.msu.edu/scholarships/ Applicants may submit materials via email or U.S. mail.
The Pride Scholarship was founded in 2000 by Bill Beachler, MSU Alumnus, and the GLFSA of MSU. This is one of only a handful of such scholarships offered by U.S. universities. In 2000, the scholarship awarded was $500; it has since grown to an award of between $3,000 and $5,000, with further growth expected. The award is given to an MSU undergraduate student selected through a competitive application process. Candidates should demonstrate academic achievement and involvement with, or contributions to the LGBT community.
The Stephen P. Pougnet and Christopher J. Green Endowed Scholarship, first awarded in 2008, with a value between $2,000 and $5,000, is awarded to a currently enrolled student of junior or senior standing (preference is given to students enrolled in The Eli Broad College of Business at Michigan State University). Candidates must demonstrate academic excellence and involvement with or contributions to LGBT community.
Pougnet and Green decided to establish this scholarship to help students in the LGBT community at MSU and to inspire them to have the confidence to succeed in their professional careers. Pougnet graduated from MSU with a BA in 1985 from the Eli Broad College of Business. He is currently the mayor of the City of Palm Springs, California, where he also develops and sells real estate. Green graduated from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro with a BA in Business Administration in 1982 and a BS in Nursing in 1985; he also received an MBA from the University of Colorado in 1998. He currently works in sales and marketing for AMGEN, Inc.
The application procedure is the same for both of these scholarships. You may request to be considered for any or all of the scholarships with only one application. Please note that each scholarship is targeted at students with specific experiences, but all applications will be reviewed.
For more information email Laura Holdeman, email@example.com, or call 517-353-9520. Anyone interested in making contributions to the scholarship funds can call 517-353-0007.
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality
- Affirmations Recognizes Outstanding LGBTs, Allies at Silver Jubilee
- Michigan Leaders React To Feds Recognition Of Marriages
- ENDA Lobbying Comes to Michigan
- Transgender Day of Visibility Now World Wide
- White Nationalist Group Files Brief Supporting AG's Appeal In Marriage Ruling
- Sixth Circuit Continues Stay
- Michigan Marriage Ban Struck Down
- New LGBT-run Bakery Brings Organic Goodies to Detroit
- Elected Officials, Advocates Petition Schuette To Drop Marriage Aappeal
- Michigan Makes History With First Marriages
- Discredited Witness Part Of Right-Wing Cabal
- Schauer Celebrates Overturn Of Michigan Marriage Ban