Arts & Entertainment
Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
By Shelby Clark
Originally printed 2/20/2014 (Issue 2208 - Between The Lines News)
Gay-owned business, Melt Espresso & Gelato, has opened in Midtown, adding to the continuing growth of Detroit as a center for LGBT prosperity and culture.
Aaron Haithcock, originally from Texas, opened the business in October after a long journey of love. "It took three and a half years to open; I had to apply for a loan three different times," he says, "I had to keep resubmitting for it. It took lots of time... time was definitely an issue." Negotiating for a spot in the area took over a year alone.
Despite the difficulty in opening the shop, he recommends people "absolutely" look into opening businesses in Detroit. The reception to his business has been phenomenal so far, and Haithcock credits it to the burgeoning culture in the area, both LGBT and straight: "I'd say the Midtown business area has an equivalent number of LGBT folk as Ferndale. The new mayor, the city getting safer... the scale is tipping to Detroit."
Haithcock had originally planned to bring a large, family candy shop to the area, after working in a candy/ice cream store in Chicago for several years and dreaming of opening his own business. After studying the Detroit area, and working at local coffee shops, he decided to go for something "fancier."
He notes, "I was able to keep the 'sweets' element with candy and other treats, but with smaller portions." Such sweets include the ever-changing flavors of gelato and baked goods such as the popular "Cream Cheese Butter Cookies."
Aside from confections, Haithcock can't recommend his coffee treats enough. "The French Toast coffee drink is my personal favorite," he raves, adding that there are also new signature drinks constantly being added.
Haithcock has already tried bringing fresh energy to the Cass Corridor with his coffee "happy hours" every weekday from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Recently, free peppermint hot chocolates went to customers who mentioned seeing a status on Melt's Facebook page. Catering is also available at the store.
Located across from Avalon Bakery, Melt Espresso & Gelato can be found at 4160 Cass Ave., Detroit. The shop is open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturdays, and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. every Sunday.http://www.pridesource.com/directory.html.
- Judge Takes Up Ban On Domestic Partner Benefits
- Motor City Pride Line-Up Includes 'Glee' Star, Erasure's Andy Bell
- Helping Transgender Population Find Jobs
- MI AG, Lawyers Disagree Over Gay Marriage Appeal Path
- Detroit Fashion Designer DL Perrett Presents Neon Valley Streets Event
- Jim Toy Center To Honor Congressman Dingell
- Modern Works of Art for Sale This Weekend
- Hoadley To Seek LGBT Support At May 3 Detroit Fundraiser
- Inclusive Justice Conference Coming Up
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On MI Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show