Arts & Entertainment
Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
By Shelby Clark
Originally printed 2/20/2014 (Issue 2208 - Between The Lines News)
Gay-owned business, Melt Espresso & Gelato, has opened in Midtown, adding to the continuing growth of Detroit as a center for LGBT prosperity and culture.
Aaron Haithcock, originally from Texas, opened the business in October after a long journey of love. "It took three and a half years to open; I had to apply for a loan three different times," he says, "I had to keep resubmitting for it. It took lots of time... time was definitely an issue." Negotiating for a spot in the area took over a year alone.
Despite the difficulty in opening the shop, he recommends people "absolutely" look into opening businesses in Detroit. The reception to his business has been phenomenal so far, and Haithcock credits it to the burgeoning culture in the area, both LGBT and straight: "I'd say the Midtown business area has an equivalent number of LGBT folk as Ferndale. The new mayor, the city getting safer... the scale is tipping to Detroit."
Haithcock had originally planned to bring a large, family candy shop to the area, after working in a candy/ice cream store in Chicago for several years and dreaming of opening his own business. After studying the Detroit area, and working at local coffee shops, he decided to go for something "fancier."
He notes, "I was able to keep the 'sweets' element with candy and other treats, but with smaller portions." Such sweets include the ever-changing flavors of gelato and baked goods such as the popular "Cream Cheese Butter Cookies."
Aside from confections, Haithcock can't recommend his coffee treats enough. "The French Toast coffee drink is my personal favorite," he raves, adding that there are also new signature drinks constantly being added.
Haithcock has already tried bringing fresh energy to the Cass Corridor with his coffee "happy hours" every weekday from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Recently, free peppermint hot chocolates went to customers who mentioned seeing a status on Melt's Facebook page. Catering is also available at the store.
Located across from Avalon Bakery, Melt Espresso & Gelato can be found at 4160 Cass Ave., Detroit. The shop is open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturdays, and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. every Sunday.http://www.pridesource.com/directory.html.
- Marriage Supporters, Protestors Brave Cold At Courthouse
- Brown Says Schuette Instructed Clerks To Defy Court
- Peers Distance Themselves As Regnerus Takes The Stand
- Federal Marriage Case Decisions Outside Michigan In Circuit Court of Appeals
- Detroit Police Announce LGBT Liaison
- Obamacare Education And Enrollment Event
- Upcoming Holocaust Center Program To Look At Worldwide LGBT Rights
- Michigan Marriage Equality Trial Begins Second Week
- Gala Celebrates Progress, Mourns Founder
- Emotional Outpouring For Marriage At Equality Cabaret
- Wayne County Adds LGBT Protections
- PUGH UPDATE: Civil Suit Coming, Seeks $1 Million In Damages
- Between Ourselves: Meet Affirmations Development Director Angela Gabridge
- LGBTQ and Allies to Peacefully Protest Catholic Conference
- ACCESS Opens Healthcare Enrollment Assistance To Public
- MSU 2014 LGBT Scholarship Applications Available
- Charles Pugh: An In-Depth Look At The Rise And Fall Of A Local LGBT Hero
- Affirmations Receives $800,000 Bequest
- Equality-Supporting County Clerks Among Catalyst Award Winners
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit