Arts & Entertainment
Bay County votes on antidiscrimination ordinance
Originally printed 2/13/2014 (Issue 2207 - Between The Lines News)
BAY CITY, Mich. (AP) _ A big public turnout is possible as leaders in Bay County consider a measure to prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity.
The hearing is Tuesday at 4 p.m. Ernie Krygier, chairman of the Bay County Board of Commissioners, tells The Bay City Times (http://bit.ly/LPtZau ) that the proposal ``grew into a major discussion.''
Tuesday's hearing is the final public meeting on the issue before a vote on the proposed ordinance that's expected in March.
If the ordinance is approved, it could become law as soon as May 1.
The ordinance has been in the works for months and is modeled after similar measures adopted in other Michigan communities. The ordinance would affect entities owned and operated Bay County, as well as contracts the government makes.
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On MI Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality