Arts & Entertainment
Out As An Ally: A Step Forward In Understanding
Originally printed 2/6/2014 (Issue 2206 - Between The Lines News)
Tying in with the special exhibit Nazi Persecution of Homosexuals, the Holocaust Memorial Center Zekelman Family Campus in Farmington Hills is hosting a free panel discussion on Feb. 20 about the importance of allies.
Led by Judy Lewis, a Jewish member of the LGBT community, the panel will "examine the concepts of gender, sexual orientation, and human rights while learning how Allies, some of the most effective and powerful voices of the LGBT movement, help convey the importance of equality, fairness, acceptance, and mutual respect."
Admission is free and there will be complimentary pizza. The event begins at 7 p.m.
The Nazi Persecution of Homosexuals exhibit details the Nazis' so-called moral crusade against homosexuality in an effort to racially and culturally purify Germany. This persecution ranged from dissolution of homosexual organizations to internment of thousands of individuals in concentration camps. Gay men, in particular, were subject to harassment, arrest, incarceration, and even castration. In Nazi eyes, gay men were weak and unfit to be soldiers, as well as unlikely to contribute to the racial struggle for Aryan dominance. It is on view now through May 4.
More information about the panel discussion and the exhibit can be found online at http://www.holocaustcenter.org RSVP for the panel discussion at 248-553-2400, ext. 24 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality