Arts & Entertainment
Bay County Moves Forward in Ordinance Process
Originally printed 1/23/2014 (Issue 2204 - Between The Lines News)
Commissioners in Bay County voted 5-2 to move forward a ban on discrimination against people based on sexual orientation and gender identity at their Jan. 14 commission meeting. The ordinance, which only impacts county-owned entities, county-controlled entities, and contractors who work with the county will go to a public hearing expected to be on Feb. 11.
Commissioner Donald J. Tilley, D-6th District, sponsored the ordinance and Bay County Executive Tom Hickner favors it. Hickner has spoken publicly about having a gay son.
The two dissenters were Commissioner Vaughn Begick, R-3rd District, and Michael E. Lutz, D-7th District. Lutz told MLive "I'm still against the principle of extending additional rights to sexual gender."
Organizers from One Bay City have been supportive of the ordinance, and have had speakers share their stories at public meetings including the one Jan. 14.
To learn more about One Bay City, like them on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/OneBayCity.
For more on human rights ordinances across Michigan, including how to get involved in your area, go to http://www.unitymichigan.org.
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On MI Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality