Arts & Entertainment
Detroit Auto Show Opening Jan. 18
Originally printed 1/16/2014 (Issue 2203 - Between The Lines News)
DETROIT (AP) - The Detroit auto show, which opens to the public Jan. 18 after a week of media and industry previews, dates to 1907, when a group of dealers held a show in a city park.
The show was largely a regional event showcasing Detroit automakers until 1989, when the name was changed to the North American International Auto Show and Toyota and Nissan used it to introduce their new luxury brands.
The annual event has since grown to be one of most important shows on the auto industry's calendar. Last year, more than 795,000 people - including 5,200 journalists from around the world -attended the show. This year, at least 50 new vehicles will make their debut.
As part of the show Education Day will take place Jan. 22 at Cobo Center.
Education Day, which is in its ninth year, focuses in part on automotive-related technologies. Students will be able to see hundreds of vehicles on display and explore industry-related subjects. They'll also be able to access online lesson plans related to the show.
The U.S. Army, in partnership with colleges, universities, nonprofits and businesses, will host workshops for high school students and educators during Education Day. The workshops aim to expand interest in auto development, design, production and promotion.
The auto show opens to the public Jan. 18-26.
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On MI Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality