Arts & Entertainment
Kalamazoo Gay Lesbian Resource Center Throws Annual LGBT-Gala
By Shelby Clark
Originally printed 1/16/2014 (Issue 2203 - Between The Lines News)
Kalamazoo Gay Lesbian Resource Center (KGLRC) will host their Winter Gala on Saturday, Feb. 1 at the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts.
The award ceremony and fundraiser will be to benefit the center's many LGBT resources and projects. REACH Awards will be given to those outstanding in Retail, Education, Ally, Community, Faith, as well as the Humanitarian of the Year.
This year's event, dubbed the "most fun and formal event of the KGLRC," will feature performances by Hannaniah and the Boys, who were featured entertainment at Kalamazoo Pride this past summer.
Great food, cocktails, and a silent auction from local businesses will round out the evening. A cash bar will also be available.
KGLRC has been a prominent non-profit in southwest Michigan for over twenty years. Founded in 1987 as the "Lesbian/Gay Resource Line" with little more than a two-page newsletter, the organization has grown into an active community center.
From LGBT proms to New Year's Eve parties, the KGLRC has made sure to offer both fun and support to the area's LGBT. Such support includes Trans-cend, a decade-old peer group for transgender persons, among other resources.
KGLRC has also been an outspoken advocate of civil liberties in all southwest Michigan cities. The non-profit frequently works with local chapters of "Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG), Planned Parenthood, and more.
KGLRC's Winter Gala will take place from 8 to 12 p.m. on Feb. 1 at the Kalamazoo institute of Arts, 314 S. Park St., Kalamazoo. Tickets for the event are $25 for students with valid ID, and $50 for all others. After Jan. 31, tickets will increase to $55. Tickets can be purchased online at www.kglrc.org.
The resource center is located at 629 Pioneer St., Suite 102, Kalamazoo. For more information on the fundraising gala or the KGLRC, call 269-349-4234.For other LGBT benefits and galas, check out BTL's calendar at www.pridesource.com/calendar.html.
- Lesbian Couple In Kalamazoo See Home Ruined
- Fifth Annual Hotter Than July Boat Ride A Fun Time
- HTJ Opening Ceremony Draws Large Crowd
- State Rep. Zemke Introduces Bill To Prohibit Conversion Therapy In Michigan
- Good News For LGBT Students At Michigan Universities
- HTJ Pride Picnic Preview
- HTJ Schedule: Warming Up Detroit
- Progressive Detroit Talks On The National Level: Netroots Closeup
- LGBTs Connect At Netroots Nation
- Michigan Healthcare Providers Discuss LGBT Focus Initiatives
- Mark Schauer Comes To Braun Court
- Hotter Than July Preview
- Immigration: Out Of The Shadows
- Choice: Closely Aligned
- Environment: Only Way To Win Is By Working Together
- Housing: 'We Are All In This Together'
- Labor: A Decades Long Partnership
- Two More Openly LGBT Candidates Announce MI Campaigns