Arts & Entertainment
Debate On Gay Marriage Set For Franklin College
Originally printed 1/3/2014 (Issue 2201 - Between The Lines News)
FRANKLIN, Ind. (AP) - Former Indiana Supreme Court Chief Justice Randall Shepard will moderate a debate on the state's proposed constitutional ban on same-sex marriage.
The debate is scheduled for Jan. 13 at Franklin College, a private central Indiana liberal arts college about 20 miles south of Indianapolis. The debate will be between American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana Executive Director Jane Henegar and Indiana Family Institute President Curt Smith.
Shepard says he hopes the debate will give the people of Indiana a better understanding of the contentious issue.
The Indiana General Assembly reconvenes Jan. 6. State lawmakers are expected to take up a proposed constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, civil unions and benefits for same-sex couples. If approved, the proposed ban would be subject to a statewide referendum.
- Judge Takes Up Ban On Domestic Partner Benefits
- Motor City Pride Line-Up Includes 'Glee' Star, Erasure's Andy Bell
- Helping Transgender Population Find Jobs
- MI AG, Lawyers Disagree Over Gay Marriage Appeal Path
- Detroit Fashion Designer DL Perrett Presents Neon Valley Streets Event
- Jim Toy Center To Honor Congressman Dingell
- Modern Works of Art for Sale This Weekend
- Hoadley To Seek LGBT Support At May 3 Detroit Fundraiser
- Inclusive Justice Conference Coming Up
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On MI Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show