Arts & Entertainment
AIDS Partnership Michigan's Hank Milbourne Recognized as POZ 100
Originally printed 11/21/2013 (Issue 2147 - Between The Lines News)
AIDS Partnership Michigan's Hank Milbourne was recognized as one of the POZ 100 for 2013. The Chief Program Officer works hard to oversee HIV Prevention programs, mental health services, early intervention, grant writing, report writing, developing relationships with other agencies and consulting with the Centers for Disease Control.
POZ magazine, an award-winning print and online brand for people living with and affected by HIV/AIDS, announced the fourth annual POZ 100 Monday. This year, POZ asked individuals and organizations to nominate an HIV-positive person in their community who is an unsung hero in the fight against AIDS. For the first time, the list is made up completely of people living with the virus. The list includes individuals of all ages, ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations from across the U.S. and Puerto Rico, at organizations large and small. It comprises a variety of careers, from bloggers and activists to doctors and educators, and spans across many diverse populations affected by the virus.
Milbourne, 59, has been with APM for 24 years. "It's nice to be recognized for the work you do, and I love the work I do. It's important because there's a notion that HIV and AIDS is no longer important, that it's gone away, but that's not true." Milbourne noted that there is a steady rise in infections among black MSMs age 13-24. "We need to let people know that there is a risk."
"The individuals on this year's list may not consider themselves to be heroes, but we do," said Oriol Gutierrez, POZ's editor-in-chief. "Each person--in his or her own unique way--is taking a brave stand against the virus. They are fighting back. From people who volunteer for AIDS service organizations or work as policy advocates, to those who act as educators to promote prevention and treatment, this list represents an incredibly diverse spectrum of people living with HIV and making a difference on the front lines in their communities," Gutierrez said.
To learn more visit http://www.poz.com.
AIDS Partnership Michigan
Bill VanHemert, MSW, CEO
2751 E. Jefferson Ave., Ste. 301
Detroit, MI 48207
Main Number: 313-446-9800
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality