DePauw, Wabash Join Opposition To Gay Marriage Ban
Originally printed 11/7/2013 (Issue 2145 - Between The Lines News)
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - The battle over an effort to place Indiana's ban on gay marriage in the state constitution has picked up two new opponents.
DePauw University and Wabash College announced Monday that they are joining Freedom Indiana to oppose the proposed constitutional ban.
The bipartisan coalition includes top employers such as Eli Lilly and Cummins, along with the Indianapolis Chamber of Commerce and the Human Rights Campaign.
DePauw and Wabash issued a joint news release saying a constitutional ban would stifle efforts to attract talented faculty and staff to their campuses.
Indiana University also opposes the move. Purdue University isn't taking a position on the issue.
The amendment to the constitution faces a final vote in the 2014 legislative session. It would go to voters next November if it passes the Legislature.
- California Bans 'Gay Panic' Defense
- Utah Plaintiffs Ask SCOTUS To Review Case
- First-Of-Its-Kind LGBT Jewish Curriculum
- EqualityMaine Advances Trans Healthcare Coverage
- Florida Supreme Court Asked To Rule On Same-Sex Marriage
- Womyn Born Womyn House Staffer Edits Trans Identity Wikipedia Pages
- 7th Circuit Court Of Appeals Hears Marriage Equality Cases
- When A Lesbian Becomes A Man
- TLC Star Says Transgender People Are Child Predators
- Florida Federal Judge Rules For Same-Sex Marriage
- Landmark Gay Bookstore In Philly To Reopen
- Couple Wins Wedding Venue Dispute
- Virginia Family Foundation Protests Gay Marriage With Fake Fast
- Boy Killed By Mother For Playing With Dolls
- SCOTUS Blocks Virginia Same-Sex Marriages
- Open Letter On Michael Brown #HandsUpDon'tShoot
- Will & Grace Featured In The Smithsonian Collection
- Cyber Bullying Higher For LGBT Youth
- Oregon Medicaid To Cover Gender Reassignment Surgery
- Bryan Fisher Blames Lesbian Attorney For Perry's Indictment
- Welcoming First Trans Man To U.S. House of Reps
- Facebook Donated $10k To Attorney General Appealing Marriage Equality In Utah
- Ann Arbor Animal Hospital
- Ann Arbor Cat Clinic
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
- Washtenaw Veterinary Hospital
- Visitors Bureau
- Ypsilanti Area Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Women's Health
- Planned Parenthood Mid and South Michigan
- Men's Yoga
- Youth Services
- Neutral Zone
- The Corner Health Center - Young Adult Health Center
- Ozone House Youth and Family Services
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Feds Give Spring Arbor University Permission To Discriminate Against LGBT Community
- Q&A: Panic! Frontman Talks Westboro Protest: 'It Was Pathetic'
- Michfest Responds: We Have a Few Demands Of Our Own
- Q&A: Jennifer Hudson On Lesbian Rumors & Drag Queen Attitude: 'I Don't Care What You Think'
- Viewpoint:Why Trans Exclusion at Michfest Must Finally End
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
"The Ghosts in Our Machine" is a powerful 2013 feature documentary about animal rights, made accessible through the photos and personal journey of well-known international photographer Jo-Anne McArthur and lesbian filmmaker Liz Marshall.
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!